Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently went on a field trip studying the population of flat periwinkles in 5 different types of algae (seaweed) on a beach (sheltered shore). The method involved griding out a section of seaweed, using a calculator for random co-ordinates then counting the number of flat periwinkles in the open quadrat. I obviously done repeats on that beach (12 in total) and also did 5 other locations. The only thing is, I am unsure about the control variables. So far I have only got 'size of quadrat' and 'type of shore' (for the diff locations) but I am not sure what else could affect the results. Please help!

Also, should I mention abiotic factors like weather as control variables? I know these can affect the result and should be monitored, but there is nothing you can do to keep them the same anyway so they can't really be 'controlled'.

ReputationRep:
    Anything like what you classed as suitable to count...
    (we did a similar thing counting weeds on the hockey pitch :sigh:) some of the weeds were very very small so you had to have a cut off point...

like if there was seaweed on the quadrat boundary whether you recorded it or not

Making sure you method of sampling, selection, grid making.....everything was exactly the same in each location

schtuffs like that

ReputationRep:
    we did a trip before my a2 course just after our exams had finished... after our exams we did experiments which arn't even in our a2 course... and we're expected to remember the very little we learnt at some pointless field course! how?!

ReputationRep:
    i would hate to go on one of these

thank god c/w is cancelled in the new spec

ReputationRep:
    aha....coursework...
    this was just for fun at the end of the year so we can get an idea...then we wrote a coursework type piece....yet its not coursework :dry:

ReputationRep:
    Yes weather and time will be big variables. Just have to say you took them as close together i.e. similar as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.