Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So after searching up on the net I've found mixed answers. I'm hoping to take Economics, Physics, Biology & Maths at A-Levels. Would it be an absolutely must to take Chemistry as well?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what institution, some require Chemistry to A2, some require either Biology OR Chemistry to A2, and some don't list it as a requirement at all.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry + Biology

Have a look at this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry i would say is a must, getting in to Medicine is a hard task anyway. The ideal A-levels for Medicine are Chemistry, Biology, Maths. a-lot of Uni's will advice Chemistry as one of the A-levels taken for Medicine, and also proberly require an A in it also. I would'nt say Chemisrty is vital for Medicine, but would strongly advise it. It would also give you a greater chance of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Chemistry + Biology

Have a look at this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements

ReputationRep:
    most places will need chemistry, and if they dont most other applicants will probably have it anyway so you'll be at a disadvantage
    chemistry biology and maths are the typical "medic" A2s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kflynn)
    Chemistry i would say is a must, getting in to Medicine is a hard task anyway. The ideal A-levels for Medicine are Chemistry, Biology, Maths.
    Er, why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DutchCruijff)
    So after searching up on the net I've found mixed answers. I'm hoping to take Economics, Physics, Biology & Maths at A-Levels. Would it be an absolutely must to take Chemistry as well?
    Pretty much. If it were me I'd swap one for chemistry and you're set. Good idea to keep biology.

Not taking A-level chemistry will limit your options. If you take biology and chemistry you can apply anywhere that takes your fancy. You only need three A-levels for medicine; take a fourth if you must, but five is overkill. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by km31)
    most places will need chemistry, and if they dont most other applicants will probably have it anyway so you'll be at a disadvantage
    chemistry biology and maths are the typical "medic" A2s
    erm, no. LOL. i know many, many medics who never did a level maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DutchCruijff)
    It's a Must to take chemistry. Most medical schools require it to A2 and Biology to As.

I would say to take Biology, Chemistry,Maths and Economics/physics (or if you want all 5). Then taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Econimics to A2.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry, Biology, Maths + essay based/science, all you need really for a 4 AS combo, have fun.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people ask this, basically ALL unis need A level Chemistry (a minority only require it at AS Level). Some also require Biology whereas a lot need chemistry and one of Phys/Chem/Bio. Therefore ur safest bets probably to do Chemistry and Biology and 2 others of ur choice.

PS. If ur applying to Cambridge they need Chemistry and TWO of Physics/Maths/Bio. Hope that helped.

ReputationRep:
    take a look at this:

A. Levels are the 'normal', traditional or 'straightforward' route into medicine. Most people who apply will be school leavers following their A. Levels. Most medical schools require A2 grades of AAB. Although very few still offer ABB and some require AAA. Some may offer combinations of AS and A2. The general rule is that chemistry is required (although not always) and that general studies is not accepted. However, some schools also require biology (at AS or A2) as well. Some universities like two sciences and some universities prefer if you have a balanced set of qualifications. Some universities also require a certain grade in a certain subject. This is where you will need to check up on each medical school as they will all be different - see our links pages. The British Medical Association produce a useful table outlining the basics of every medical school's admissions criteria here (open in new window).

found here

http://www.wanttobeadoctor.co.uk/main.php?page=15

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry

And a Degree in Medicine :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    A lot of people ask this, basically ALL unis need A level Chemistry (a minority only require it at AS Level). Some also require Biology whereas a lot need chemistry and one of Phys/Chem/Bio. Therefore ur safest bets probably to do Chemistry and Biology and 2 others of ur choice.

PS. If ur applying to Cambridge they need Chemistry and TWO of Physics/Maths/Bio. Hope that helped.
    Actually there are four medical schools which don't want chemistry at all past GCSE :fyi:

(Original post by No Future)
    Agree.

I didn't take maths beyond GCSE. I took Biology, Chemistry and French at A2 and got three offers :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Er, why?

sorry, proberly not maths. I just did that, and think its quite a good A-level to do. because Chemistry and Biology did involve some maths. but I should'nt have said it is an ideal A-level for Medicine. just personal choice. =)

ReputationRep:
    Im seriously thinking of sticking this link in my sig lol (sorry its been posted above but havent read whole thread)
    http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78

not taking chemistry will disadvantage youd id say take it atleast to AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    i wasnt saying maths was essential, i'm sure plenty of people didnt do it! just that most of the people i know who got a decent amount of offers for medicine did chem bio and maths, hence caling them the typical medic combo :p:

also we had quite a few admissions people from different unis come to our 6th form and give lectures on applications, and they all said, when asked the question "which a levels for medicine" said that bio chem maths demonstrated a good scientific mind, and the maths provides transferable problem-solving skills which are essential to medicine. (just repeating what they said there)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.