Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm bidding at the DVLA auction in Oxfordshire tomorrow on a private number plate for my vehicle. I filled out the registration form for the auction with all my own details, so if and when I win the plate it'll be registered and owned in my own name.

I've just realised, however, that when I bought my car I made my mother the registered keeper (on the v5c ownership document). Now I'm worried that I won't be able to assign the plate to the vehicle because of the names not matching up.

I don't know what number to call with this enquiry. The DVLA website doesn't answer it any they don't provide a telephone number for inquiries - just sales.

My budget for the plate itself is £1k, but on top of that I pay VAT and a host of other fees bringing the total to over £1.3k. I hope this won't cause more hassle and cost me more money.

Anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    that'll teach you to buy a private plate.

why did you not just register your car in your name?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    that'll teach you to buy a private plate.
    lol harsh!

ReputationRep:
    The hell you want to WASTE (and that's what it is) a grand on a number plate which you wont ever actually own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    The hell you want to WASTE (and that's what it is) a grand on a number plate which you wont ever actually own.
    I dunno, if it's a good plate, then it's not that bad an investment long-term. But for £1000, it's not going to be a good plate, I'd guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    I dunno, if it's a good plate, then it's not that bad an investment long-term. But for £1000, it's not going to be a good plate, I'd guess.
    I know thats the case most of the time, but someone i know got their name for the basic £250 + all relevant fees a few years ago..

But anyway it doesn't matter that your not the registered keeper.

Firstly, just because you are bidding for the plate doesnt mean that its automatically going to be put on your name, request that it be put on your mother's at earliest opportunity.

Second option if the first one fails is to use the 'nominee' feature of the documentation in regards to your plate. If you are put down as the owner, put your mother as a nominee, sign it and send it off and you can use the plates with your car.

But private plates are crap really, unless your really minted and can afford the really cool ones (which are usually ridiculously expensive!)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.