Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Results Day 20th August: Worst Case Scenario watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    My friend's sister had a firm offer from Oxford (AAA obviously) and St. Andrews at AAB, but unfortunately got AAC on results day, missing that last B by 10 UMS. After a priority remark, she gained 6 UMS but was still 4 tiny points away from a B, but they had enough students so they didn't take her.

A very popular, intelligent pupil who was virtually guaranteed to get AAA messed up one exam and had to go into clearing. What made it worse was that she got very high As in the other two subjects and could have made up those 4 UMS easily another way if they had let her.
    What happened next?

I'm just being nosey

ReputationRep:
    AAA and then get run over by a car on the way home.

ReputationRep:
    She ended up going to York which isn't bad at all, but everybody expected to see her at Oxford. Tbh, it's literally the worst way to miss both your firm and insurance, due to only one exam and a stingy remarking examiner!
    Oh well, York is a such a lovely town and the unis is really good so atleast she didnt end up in some ex-poly.

ReputationRep:
    Isnt the answer to this thread obvious?

No-one wants to fail their exams and miss the chance to get into the university they want to.
    And if they do they can enlighten us as to why that is.. haha.

ReputationRep:
    ABB, very unlikely, but scarily possible. AAB won't be so bad, as I'm not exactly going to the most oversubscribed of universities, so I'm sure they'll be alright especially if I shift to Joint Honours Philosophy which is something I'm thinking of. Or I could take a much needed gap year (by which I mean, go to a ****** college and not worry about much) to get my head straight.

Of course, each of those scenarios will sting a little as it does tell me that I am essentially a lot less academically able than I thought I was, but oh phooey.

ReputationRep:
    Missing my firm offer (which is the same as my insurance, so that would mean clearing ) would be pretty awful I guess...though having said that I only need to scrape a B in a2 French & get high Cs in german & English to get ABB overall, so hopefully that won't happen. Ideally I would love AABB or above (esp as that would mean an extra £1000 grant from my firm

To fail.. get UUU.. or EEE. Have to retake, cry, want to die, and try to do everything in jan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghanglish)
    What happened next?

I'm just being nosey
    I said a few posts ago, will quote myself:

She ended up going to York which isn't bad at all, but everybody expected to see her at Oxford. Tbh, it's literally the worst way to miss both your firm and insurance, due to only one exam and a stingy remarking examiner!
    (Original post by jabed786)
    Oh well, York is a such a lovely town and the unis is really good so atleast she didnt end up in some ex-poly.
    Yeah true, she didn't do badly and is on the road to get a first (providing she doesn't narrowly miss out on that too!). She just had her heart set on Oxford, just like most people get excited when they select their firm choice and then they can't see themselves anywhere else. At least that's how I've been told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitamin Sea)
    Hahaha :tongue:

Although I hope that doesn't happen to you :sad:

Ermm for me, getting a low B or something. If I were a few UMS away, at least I'd have a chance of begging.

I'm quite lucky with an unconditional insurance, but a couple of my mates mentioned the other day that went they visited they found it a dump! Which I'm sure isn't true, but in general I've found the past few months I'm feeling more put off by my insurance and want to go to my firm even more

Actually, seeing as I want to switch to History at uni, or at least History and Politics, getting anything less than an A will be a disaster. I need it to convince them to let me change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milan5baros)
    ^^

What would be your worst case Scenario on results day?

I think mine would be that I would miss my firm offer by like a couple of UMS! would be frustrated! :o:
    Been there, done that.

Made things inestimably worse by throwing a confused hissy fit and taking a gap year to try again.

Don't do it, for goodness' sake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    1. fail
    2. get beaten

ReputationRep:
    parents might kick me out of the house for landing up with a sucky result after all the money they spent for registering the exams :P: lol just kidding. They wont really do that.

Anyway i think personally i would be really disappointed because i did work alot, spent countless sleepless nights so i wish my hard work is paid off.

And the worst thing would be that i would miss my offers and i would have to pick up some sucky course then.

ReputationRep:
    ABB

These grades would doom me to yet another year spent in this house full of morons

ReputationRep:
    I'm only waiting on AS results but I would be really really gutted if I didn't get (apart from the obvious UUUU) at least AABB. If I don't get an A in psychology I would actually cry which wouldn't be very attractive. But alas not life threatening. :P

ReputationRep:
    Ive set my heart on my firm which is probably the worst thing i could have done looking back :eek:

So ill be ultimately devastated if i don't get the ABB i need to get into Leeds. Liverpool is really good, but in my opinion, it just doesn't click with me unlike Leeds

Worst case though is obviously missing both offers, going through the trauma of clearing and then ending up somewhere i REALLY don't want to be...

Now all the anxiety has kicked in again, im so so nervous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lets_make_some_music)
    anything below a C i will be absolutly gutted with
    thats an absolute worst case senario

Exactly this

ReputationRep:
    My friend's sister had a firm offer from Oxford (AAA obviously) and St. Andrews at AAB, but unfortunately got AAC on results day, missing that last B by 10 UMS. After a priority remark, she gained 6 UMS but was still 4 tiny points away from a B, but they had enough students so they didn't take her.

A very popular, intelligent pupil who was virtually guaranteed to get AAA messed up one exam and had to go into clearing. What made it worse was that she got very high As in the other two subjects and could have made up those 4 UMS easily another way if they had let her.

That is my worst case scenario for next year, this year I'm only collecting AS marks.
    Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh!! That's terrifying. I don't like this thread. I'm going to leave now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    :rolleyes:
    I know what your thinking, well I think I do, but when you see a AAB type of candidate ending up in a uni like East London Uni when she could potentially have gotten in Durham where you can meet like-minded people and study in a reputable uni. You do feel a bit sorry for them dont you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitamin Sea)
    Getting ran over by a car isnt as painfull as is may seem (trust me I've been ran over when I was about 10) so its not that bad really :p:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.