Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    This was a suggestion on the basis that the person may do better than their predicted grades, it's not unheard of for a person to be predicted BBB and get AAB.

I see you've taken to reading the thread now, or are you just scrutinizing my posts?
    Ive not really read the thread, but that post was not a great one for advice.

Also, I think your the one scrutinizing my posts arent you?

Anyway, I hope you are accepted at Bristol. You might want to read about the new adjustment period, which has been set up for people who achieve above their offers (rather than advising people to apply above their predicted grades)

I didnt tell you what to do with your time. If you are worried about your results you should perhaps be scanning the clearing pages, Ucas Extra Pages and Adjustment pages, rather than commenting on my irrelevant posts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJBzzz)
    Ive not really read the thread, but that post was not a great one for advice.

Also, I think your the one scrutinizing my posts arent you?

Anyway, I hope you are accepted at Bristol. You might want to read about the new adjustment period, which has been set up for people who achieve above their offers (rather than advising people to apply above their predicted grades)

I didnt tell you what to do with your time. If you are worried about your results you should perhaps be scanning the clearing pages, Ucas Extra Pages and Adjustment pages, rather than commenting on my irrelevant posts
    I am scrutinizing your posts, that's not to say that you aren't doing so to mine.

The new adjustement period was introduced this year, we weren't even told about it. But as I see it it's like the reverse of clearing (note, no one can say for sure as this is the first year), you have to call up Universities and ask if they have a place and are willing to take you, this relies heavily on not enough applicants making it.
    So it isn't very useful for someone who say applied for Biomedicine at Warwick and got in with AAA and would like to get into Imperial or UCL or Bristol or any really popular Uni as they'd be full.
    Confusing but if you understand it you'll realise that there is no point in relying on it. It's still better to Firm a University like Imperial knowing you have little chance of getting in and having a Universitly like Warwick as an Insurance (based on you being predicted ABB or something like that).
    It'll be most useful for someone who's exceeded their expectations by far, e.g. someone applying to Portsmouth gets ABB rather than the BBC they needed and ends up going to somewhere like York.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    I am scrutinizing your posts, that's not to say that you aren't doing so to mine.

The new adjustement period was introduced this year, we weren't even told about it. But as I see it it's like the reverse of clearing (note, no one can say for sure as this is the first year), you have to call up Universities and ask if they have a place and are willing to take you, this relies heavily on not enough applicants making it.
    So it isn't very useful for someone who say applied for Biomedicine at Warwick and got in with AAA and would like to get into Imperial or UCL or Bristol or any really popular Uni as they'd be full.
    Confusing but if you understand it you'll realise that there is no point in relying on it. It's still better to Firm a University like Imperial knowing you have little chance of getting in and having a Universitly like Warwick as an Insurance (based on you being predicted ABB or something like that).

It'll be most useful for someone who's exceeded their expectations by far, e.g. someone applying to Portsmouth gets ABB rather than the BBC they needed and ends up going to somewhere like York.
    You are correct. In that instance it would be more useful as more people will miss their offers and the course would not be as subscribed.

Erm, the problem is, once you firm your fave, you want to go there. What is your insurance? And how would you feel if you end up going there?

ReputationRep:
    You are correct. In that instance it would be more useful as more people will miss their offers and the course would not be as subscribed.

Erm, the problem is, once you firm your fave, you want to go there. What is your insurance? And how would you feel if you end up going there?
    My insurance was Portsmouth, but I rejected them this week. I'd underestimated myself, they were offering CCC. Bristol offered me ABB, I'm thinking I'll get ABC if not AAC or ABB or if I'm really lucky AAB.
    If I get ABC or AAC and Bristol don't take me I could still find a better place in Clearing than Portsmouth.

ReputationRep:
    What is all this apply a couple above/below your means shizz? You apply to wear you want to go and unis that do your course. I got AAA, my firm offer was AAB but my insurance offer was BBB and some of my offers were CCB or whatever (this was 3 years ago). I was a bit limited by my course choice mind. Surely you're not applying to unis based on their reputation alone? Much more chance of getting there and despising it, as I've known happen to many people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonDonna)
    What is all this apply a couple above/below your means shizz? You apply to wear you want to go and unis that do your course. I got AAA, my firm offer was AAB but my insurance offer was BBB and some of my offers were CCB or whatever (this was 3 years ago). I was a bit limited by my course choice mind. Surely you're not applying to unis based on their reputation alone? Much more chance of getting there and despising it, as I've known happen to many people.
    Yes, but my point was you shouldn't limit yourself to what you've been predicted, obviously apply within reasonable limits, i.e. if you're predicted CCC don't apply to Oxbridge. This means you aren't disappointed if when you get to March and you feel you could do much better than predicted but you have no choices open to you.
    By above I meant somewhere which you'd get into if you do your very best. It isn't something that's recommended by UCAS, just a suggestion proposed by alot of people.
    Personally I did 4 choices above and 1 choice below, although I went too far below and am now unhappy with it so withdrew from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Personally I did 4 choices above and 1 choice below, although I went too far below and am now unhappy with it so withdrew from there.
    Above what? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Above what? :lolwut:
    What I thought I'd get. I thought I'd get BBB and went for courses offering ABB. But then I went and got AAB in resits for AS and now am stuck with an insurance that is CCC. Sucks or what?

Note: got my insurance to reject me as I don't want to go there anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    My insurance was Portsmouth, but I rejected them this week. I'd underestimated myself, they were offering CCC. Bristol offered me ABB, I'm thinking I'll get ABC if not AAC or ABB or if I'm really lucky AAB.
    If I get ABC or AAC and Bristol don't take me I could still find a better place in Clearing than Portsmouth.
    You should have a look at Southampton through clearing/adjustment if you think that you may have a chance of high grades

You obviosuly like that area of the country. I hope you get in so that you are not dissapointed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    What I thought I'd get. I thought I'd get BBB and went for courses offering ABB. But then I went and got AAB in resits for AS and now am stuck with an insurance that is CCC. Sucks or what?

Note: got my insurance to reject me as I don't want to go there anymore.
    Right I get ya. But at the same time, you don't have to apply to unis that only offer your grades. There's no point going to a uni just 'cause it's "at your level" when you might hate the area or something. There's many things consider other than what their entry requirements are. People hold too much on it. While you don't wanna sell yourself short, it's so important you enjoy uni, it makes doing the work so much easier! Seriously, as soon as you get to uni, no-one gives a crap what you got in A Levels :p:

ReputationRep:
    Right I get ya. But at the same time, you don't have to apply to unis that only offer your grades. There's no point going to a uni just 'cause it's "at your level" when you might hate the area or something. There's many things consider other than what their entry requirements are. People hold too much on it. While you don't wanna sell yourself short, it's so important you enjoy uni, it makes doing the work so much easier! Seriously, as soon as you get to uni, no-one gives a crap what you got in A Levels :p:
    Lol, no need to tell me

I mentioned this in my earlier post I think; that there are so many other factors to take into account e.g. course content, city, uni facilities, entry requirements. You just caught me arguing a specific part of my point.

You should have a look at Southampton through clearing/adjustment if you think that you may have a chance of high grades

You obviosuly like that area of the country. I hope you get in so that you are not dissapointed.
    Funnily enough, that's a Uni I had my eye on for Clearing, and if I'm lucky York might take me if they're there.

I'm not limited to the south btw, I did orginally have most of my choices north of the divide; Liecester, Sheffield, York.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    ..........yyyeeeahhhhh so you've got to make sure you don't go to one that might.

ie sussex/bath/reading
    Im going to reading to study chem this october. They just had the labs refurbed - like expensively refurbed - so you still gonna sit there and say they might close it? dont think so mate

:captain:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stellatommo20)
    Im going to reading to study chem this october. They just had the labs refurbed - like expensively refurbed - so you still gonna sit there and say they might close it? dont think so mate

:captain:
    So how is their Phyisics dept doing?

I thought the chem building had been merged with food science?

I'm mainly going by what my lectures had said and what a previous lecturer at reading chemistry said...

While they sit there and say it so do I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So how is their Phyisics dept doing?

I thought the chem building had been merged with food science?

I'm mainly going by what my lectures had said and what a previous lecturer at reading chemistry said...

While they sit there and say it so do I
    I do believe the physics is closing. however are we not talking about chemistry here?

Taken from their website "In November 2007 the University agreed to invest a further £4.5M to fund an internationally leading Chemical Analysis Facility that will be located within the Department."

ReputationRep:
    I do believe the physics is closing. however are we not talking about chemistry here?

Taken from their website "In November 2007 the University agreed to invest a further £4.5M to fund an internationally leading Chemical Analysis Facility that will be located within the Department."
    Okay-doke, enjoy your four years there and the grand they are bribing people with to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Okay-doke, enjoy your four years there and the grand they are bribing people with to go
    I'd thank you to leave your sarcasm at the door.

I most certainly will enjoy my 3 years at uni - and that bribe? thats another grand in my pocket I DONT HAVE TO PAY BACK :mfing:

ReputationRep:
    I'd thank you to leave your sarcasm at the door.

I most certainly will enjoy my 3 years at uni - and that bribe? thats another grand in my pocket I DONT HAVE TO PAY BACK :mfing:
    Most places give you a grand.
    This is also the most pointless argument, both of you are basing this purely on speculation. The point was to avoid Unis that might close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Most places give you a grand.

Where? Bristol? Durham? Nottingham? York? UCL? Oxbridge? Imperial?...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)

Where? Bristol? Durham? Nottingham? York? UCL? Oxbridge? Imperial?...
    I know for a fact that Imperial & Bristol def. have means tested bursaries of over £1000, I'm pretty sure there are some scholarships for Chem. at Bristol as well. I think some of them also have Academic based grants and bursaries.

Basically don't bother choosing a Uni just because they give you money, most give money in one way or another.

Nottingham Bursaries
    York Bursaries

UCL Bursaries
    Cambridge Bursaries
    Insane Imperial Bursaries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    I know for a fact that Imperial & Bristol def. have means tested bursaries of over £1000, I'm pretty sure there are some scholarships for Chem. at Bristol as well. I think some of them also have Academic based grants and bursaries.

Basically don't bother choosing a Uni just because they give you money, most give money in one way or another.

Nottingham Bursaries
    York Bursaries

UCL Bursaries
    Cambridge Bursaries
    Insane Imperial Bursaries
    They are all the generic grants, Reading has those plus the if you get certain A level grades you get £1000 - no matter what your personal circumstances.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.