Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    They are all the generic grants, Reading has those plus the if you get certain A level grades you get £1000 - no matter what your personal circumstances.
    Fair enough but I'd rather go to a Uni that is better generally (I don't mean in rankings but the city, the uni facilities and the course). My main point was I don't think money factors into a decision about which Uni to go to. As I've posted there is more than enough help available; at Imperial you could get upto £3,300 if you do well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Fair enough but I'd rather go to a Uni that is better generally (I don't mean in rankings but the city, the uni facilities and the course). My main point was I don't think money factors into a decision about which Uni to go to. As I've posted there is more than enough help available; at Imperial you could get upto £3,300 if you do well.
    I don't think money can be discounted. I turned my Imperial offer down as I didn't think I could afford to live in London/South Ken for four years. This was 2003 when fees were payable upfront btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I don't think money can be discounted. I turned my Imperial offer down as I didn't think I could afford to live in London/South Ken for four years. This was 2003 when fees were payable upfront btw.
    Ok, fair enough. But now there is some much help available. Going to Uni in London nets you in the region of £6000 from Maintenance Loan, if you're from a low income family you get loads of support. The only people the system is unfair on are people from average/high income families who won't get help with money from their parents, but even so getting a part-time job is usually enough to cover the margin between your outgoings and income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Most places give you a grand.
    This is also the most pointless argument, both of you are basing this purely on speculation. The point was to avoid Unis that might close.

perhaps you misread.. reading uni are having over a million pounds worth of work done to their chem analysis dept. are you seriously saying to me that after all that the chem dept will close?? even if it does.. after 3/4 years i will be shot of the place and working, so although sentimentally i might care, but practically i couldnt give a t o s s.

get real mate.

Yea im sure that alot of unis give bursaries. reading give £1350 a year to anyone with a household income lower than 40 grand.

and since i live on a council estate with my mother, 3 sisters and a borther in law, i qualify for EVERYTHING GOING - grants, loans bursaries, you name it im GONNA GET IT, somehting you other students might dislike :mfing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stellatommo20)
    perhaps you misread.. reading uni are having over a million pounds worth of work done to their chem analysis dept. are you seriously saying to me that after all that the chem dept will close?? even if it does.. after 3/4 years i will be shot of the place and working, so although sentimentally i might care, but practically i couldnt give a t o s s.

get real mate.

Yea im sure that alot of unis give bursaries. reading give £1350 a year to anyone with a household income lower than 40 grand.

and since i live on a council estate with my mother, 3 sisters and a borther in law, i qualify for EVERYTHING GOING - grants, loans bursaries, you name it im GONNA GET IT, somehting you other students might dislike :mfing:
    First, brilliant attitude!

A million pounds isn't much, I'm assuming just refurbishment rather than a whole department being built from the ground up, incidentally this is something Bristol are doing with their Biological Sciences Dept. Again this is a moot point as explained below.
    Just because they've spent £1,000,000 on a dept. doesn't mean it's unlikely to close, it does mean they hope to attract more students but without those students they can't sustain it and so would, in this scenario, have to close that dept.
    Basically spending that much money isn't what will stop them from going under, it's the intake of students that will.

Note: I'm not saying Reading Uni Chem Dept. will be closing anytime soon, it was just used as an anecdote for possible situations.

ReputationRep:

get real mate.

Well not everything, I've heard of people having their tution fees paid by the government or extra money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    First, brilliant attitude!

A million pounds isn't much, I'm assuming just refurbishment rather than a whole department being built from the ground up, incidentally this is something Bristol are doing with their Biological Sciences Dept. Again this is a moot point as explained below.
    Just because they've spent £1,000,000 on a dept. doesn't mean it's unlikely to close, it does mean they hope to attract more students but without those students they can't sustain it and so would, in this scenario, have to close that dept.
    Basically spending that much money isn't what will stop them from going under, it's the intake of students that will.

Note: I'm not saying Reading Uni Chem Dept. will be closing anytime soon, it was just used as an anecdote for possible situations.
    well its more like 4.5 million as it goes....

but agreed, it's the intake of students that will 'ultimately' decide the fate of the dept. Although throughout this discussion, it has seemed as though the number of students hasn't been accounted for - merely the running cost of each dept ( which admittedly is inherently linked with student numbers) has been the 'determining factor' in dept closures. Hence my post saying that a dept that spends over a million ( 4.5 actually), is not likely to be closing anytime soon... else it would be a massive waste of money, and a major misjudgement on the uni's behalf???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSophist)
    Well not everything, I've heard of people having their tution fees paid by the government or extra money.
    yea i think you have to be foreign or something....

ReputationRep:
    yea i think you have to be foreign or something....
    no he lives near me, he aint foreign

ReputationRep:
    This has gone way off the original topic. Thread closed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.