The Student Room Group
That's probably for the actual student Oyster card that you need to order from the website, only certain colleges and universities are on there though, mine is not one of them which I'm annoyed about.

If you're just getting on buses then each day it will not take more than £3.20 off your Oyster anyway. That's the price of a bus pass, nothing needs to be activated, that's just the maximum it'll take off when you use buses.
Reply 2
hannahdaisy
That's probably for the actual student Oyster card that you need to order from the website, only certain colleges and universities are on there though, mine is not one of them which I'm annoyed about.

If you're just getting on buses then each day it will not take more than £3.20 off your Oyster anyway. That's the price of a bus pass, nothing needs to be activated, that's just the maximum it'll take off when you use buses.

Oh thanks! I have a student oyster card anyway, but I'm sure I read somewhere there was a (pretty decent) cap on it including tubes too!

[edit] seems like the facebook group might have been talking about the £3.20 cap, but saying it was for students!
Reply 3
I'm sure I was told that there's a £4 cap too, have you tried the website/wikipedia?
Reply 4
lowrax
I'm sure I was told that there's a £4 cap too, have you tried the website/wikipedia?

yeah, both say that its available.

But the Facebook Group (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=35188734369&ref=search) says you need to get it activated...

Yet the guy at the TFL Customer Services had no idea of this, and basically recited the features of a student oyster card, lol!
Reply 5
If you go into one of the TFL offices at a station and show them your 16-25 railcard, they can apply something to the card which means you get a daily cap which is a third lower than the usual. Is this what you're referring to, maybe? If you go into the office at Victoria (next to the entrance to the Tube), they'll do it for you. The man who did mine was very friendly and knew all about it.
Interesting, gonna make sure I take my railcard with me and do this. Bit confused though, what do you actually get cheaper? Does this mean going on a few buses a day wouldn't take off as much as £3.20 etc and single journeys would still cost the same? Or is it just a general cap of the price meaning we could go on the bus, tube etc and only up to £X?
Reply 7
There's a daily cap on how much transport costs with your Oyster. I think it's about £5. You'll never pay more than that on Oyster. So you'll never pay more than about £3.30 daily. It doesn't make a difference to single journeys
I dunno what happened with my Oyster once but it took about £11 off of it when I got the bus a few times, did 2 tube journeys and one short overground train journey.

And in that groups info it says that with a single tube journey you still need £1.60 on your Oyster to get through the barrier but it'll only take off 15p? Seems too good to be true! Would be amazing though coz I do single journeys from Paddington to Victoria, Euston and Kings Cross quite often.
Reply 9
The only benefits a student oyster gives is a 1/3 off travelcards & buses, no daily caps or anything.
Reply 10
*Sparkle*
The only benefits a student oyster gives is a 1/3 off travelcards & buses, no daily caps or anything.

The OP doesn't mean a student oyster. You can get a third off the daily cap if you have a 16-25 railcard, which is what she means.
You can get the cap put onto any oyster - 18+ student photocard or adult. You need to take your 16-25 railcard to any underground ticket office and they will electronically link your railcard to your oyster. This will cap your oyster at £3.35 (for zones 1-2) :smile:

If the office you go to doesn't know about it, just keep trying until you find one that does! Its a little-known discount that could save people a lot of money if they knew about it!
Reply 12
There's a cap for everyone once you've paid the same amount as a day travel card. Runs out around 4am of the day after.
Lizia
The OP doesn't mean a student oyster. You can get a third off the daily cap if you have a 16-25 railcard, which is what she means.

Oo my bad, is it only zones 1 & 2?
Reply 14
*Sparkle*
Oo my bad, is it only zones 1 & 2?

I'm not entirely sure. The man who did mine didn't mention any limits, but they might exist. Maybe ask when you get the discount applied? I don't see why it would only be Zone 1&2, since the caps still exist for the other zones too.
hannahdaisy
Interesting, gonna make sure I take my railcard with me and do this. Bit confused though, what do you actually get cheaper? Does this mean going on a few buses a day wouldn't take off as much as £3.20 etc and single journeys would still cost the same? Or is it just a general cap of the price meaning we could go on the bus, tube etc and only up to £X?

It means that you're daily cap is cheaper. Say I travelled around all day on the tube the Oyster card caps the amount I spend to make sure it's always cheaper to use PAYG Oyster than to buy a day travelcard. At the moment the adult cap is around £5. Once you've spent £5 nothing more will be subtracted from your Oyster card (the cap increases the more zones that are included). With a 16-25 railcard you can get the cap lowered by a third so it costs less to travel all day.
Reply 16
Has anyone looked at this: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/2930.aspx
and looked at the 'guides to fares...' surely it will tell you it in there?
Reply 17
well dont u just wish you were under 18 were bus rides are free =D
my mates 20 he said something about paying 90p for the first 2 or 3 bus journeys and after that its free for the rest of the day....
Reply 18
Hylean
There's a cap for everyone once you've paid the same amount as a day travel card. Runs out around 4am of the day after.

QFT
Reply 19
Yes you can go to any London Underground office, register your Oyster, show them your 16-25 railcard, and they will put a lower cap on it. But I'm pretty sure I remember for some reason they won't let you put a lower cap on a student oyster - you'll have to get a normal one.

From the TFL website:

National Rail Railcard Peak Off-Peak
Journeys in:
Zones 1-2 £6.70 £3.35
Zones 1-3 £8.10 £3.80
Zones 1-4 £9.50 £3.80
Zones 1-5 £12.10 £4.60
Zones 1-6 £14.30 £4.60
Zones 1-9 £15.70 £5.60
Zones 1-8 + Watford Junction £17.50 £8.55
Zone 2 £6.70 £3.30
Zones 2-3 £8.10 £3.30
Zones 2-6 £8.50 £3.30
Zones 2-9 £10.10 £3.35
Zones 2-8 + Watford Junction £12.10 £4.65

So if you travel within zones 1-2 off-peak, using buses or tubes, you can't spend more than £3.35.

Though if you're doing 4 bus journeys 5 days a week, you're better off buying a weekly bus travelcard (since you have a student oyster that gets you 1/3rd off this price). Should be cheaper than the £3.20 daily cap for using only buses.

Latest