Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, i'm about to become a second year Ib in September, but I want to get a good draft of my extended essay done this summer. I'm applying to either Royal holloway, or Kings, for History/Politics / History, so it needs to be good. I want to do it from the view point of the British as that is what the majority of my literature is on. So, anybody got some ideas for a good question surrounding British Foreign policy, that will enable to write a good 4500 word essay on?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coursework.info)
    It's been a while since you posted and nobody's replied yet...
    "A while"? It's only been a day! Speak some sense, spam bot. :p:

Hmm... I wish I could help, because I did study close to this area for my history dissertation. But what I studied was specifically the British contemporary view of Napoleon, rather than British foreign policy. :pinch:

Maybe you could write about British foreign policy during the 1803-05 invasion threat, and the techniques the government used to recruit soldiers from across the country? I devoted a 2,000-word chapter to this in my dissertation, but felt I could have wrote a lot more -- so it could be perfect for a 4,500-word essay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Hinks)
    So, i'm about to become a second year Ib in September, but I want to get a good draft of my extended essay done this summer. I'm applying to either Royal holloway, or Kings, for History/Politics / History, so it needs to be good. I want to do it from the view point of the British as that is what the majority of my literature is on. So, anybody got some ideas for a good question surrounding British Foreign policy, that will enable to write a good 4500 word essay on?

Cheers
    Platinum Mech does seem a bit more knowledgable on this subject than I am, but I could suggest a couple of questions:

1. To what extent was British foreign policy from 1803-1815 dictated by the defeats of her allies?

2. To what extent did British subsidies to her continental allies contribute to Napoleons defeats in the Napoleonic Wars?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys, both great answers thanks. What i've ended up going for is just a plain and simple why were the British victorious and then I'm able to explore all the individual aspects on both sides.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... have you seen the book 'Resisting Napoleon: The British Response to the Threat of Invasion', edited by Mark Philp and Alexandra Franklin? I used it for my dissertation, and I think there's an entire chapter there dedicated to the British war effort.

ReputationRep:
    Ill have a look thanks

ReputationRep:
    :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    BTW, I think there's another (much thicker) book on the invasion threat, called 'The Great Terror: Napoleon and the Invasion of England' (or something along those lines). I didn't end up using it too much, but it seems like it would be really useful for that particular period.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, this book Resisting Napoleon: The British Response to the Threat of Invasion' - was about £60 everywhere I looked. But I got hold of the Great Terror one. Very good, cheers again

ReputationRep:
    Forgot that you'd have to pay for it -- I was able to get all these books from my uni library. :mute:

ReputationRep:
    BTW, have you also looked at 'Britons', by Linda Colley? I think there's a section in there dedicated to the invasion threat, and the government's success in recruiting from across the country.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 28, 2009

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.