Turn on thread page Beta

Further Maths or Economics A Level? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I will be starting Chemistry, Physics, History & Maths A Levels this September (Yr 12). I would like to go to university to study Economics.

I would like to teach myself an additional A Level, either Further Maths or Economics, neither are offered at my school. Which would be of more benefit for me to apply to the best universities. I was thinking Economics, sounds obvious, but what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I'd worried at the fact you haven't picked maybe Business. I know that LSE would want you to do it if Economics isn't offered however other unis might look at it badly.

I'm thinking Economics because it would make sense but doing well on FM would really boost your application - it's a tough one.

I'd say further maths as the concepts taught in A-level economics are quite basic (and don't bother thinking about business studies as it is ridiculously easy), whereas the maths in FM is challenging and will really enhance an application for studying economics at uni.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How about do one less A-Level at school and self-study both?

I would say having Further Maths will definitely make your application stronger and prove much more useful for when you are actually at university, but A-Level Economics is nice and interesting, even if fairly basic and pointless for preparation in university economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    I'd say further maths as the concepts taught in A-level economics are quite basic (and don't bother thinking about business studies as it is ridiculously easy), whereas the maths in FM is challenging and will really enhance an application for studying economics at uni.
    However, I'm sure that in many top unis they want or really reccomend taking Economics.

(Original post by kai4321)
    However, I'm sure that in many top unis they want or really reccomend taking Economics.
    What do you consider top unis?

The following don't require or recommend A-level economics (or business studies) for degrees in Economics but do want maths A-level:

Oxford
    Cambridge
    LSE
    UCL
    Warwick
    Nottingham

I'd lok up some more 'top' unis but I can really be bothered
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you are looking at the most competitive and highest rated economics courses then I think that Further maths is by far the best option, if you can manage it. Having A-level economics wouldn't do you any harm but it is not an essential A-level. The highest ranked economics courses are heavily quantitative and proving that you can handle further maths will definitely give you an edge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)

The following don't require or recommend A-level economics (or business studies) for degrees in Economics but do want maths A-level:

Oxford
    Cambridge
    LSE
    UCL
    Warwick
    Nottingham

LSE ideally, but more likely UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)

Oxford
    Cambridge
    LSE
    UCL
    Warwick
    Nottingham

I'm sure that Oxbridge reccomend Economics - however I may be wrong. Did check it out a few weeks back and I know Maths is required but I thought I saw Econ as reccomended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kai4321)
    I'm sure that Oxbridge reccomend Economics - however I may be wrong. Did check it out a few weeks back and I know Maths is required but I thought I saw Econ as reccomended.
    The Cambridge prospectus says;
    Essential: Maths to A Level.
    Desirable: Economics to A Level.

Not specifically aiming at Oxbridge though.

ReputationRep:
    Further Maths, definitely. I'd also argue that it's easier to self teach of the two and would be much more useful at the very top institutions. You can probably ignore the previous comment about taking up business studies. An interest in the subject itself is quite sufficient and no real benefit comes from taking up BS.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by adamdp)
    LSE ideally, but more likely UCL.
    UCL only specify Maths and they are seeking A*AA to include grade A* in Maths for single honours.

I certainly wouldn't rule out Oxford and Cambridge as the entry requirements are pretty similar to the other leading universities you are looking at such as LSE / UCL. Indeed, if you are considering UCL and its A* maths requirement you could argue that Oxford's offers will be easier to meet as it doesn't seem committed to the A* yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamdp)
    I will be starting Chemistry, Physics, History & Maths A Levels this September (Yr 12). I would like to go to university to study Economics.

I would like to teach myself an additional A Level, either Further Maths or Economics, neither are offered at my school. Which would be of more benefit for me to apply to the best universities. I was thinking Economics, sounds obvious, but what do you think?
    Hmmm... :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I'd say economics. FM wouldn't be that useful, you dont get to that difficult maths. Also Economics helps writing essays FM doesn't. It's kinda like the basic foundation upon which you build uni knowledge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Hmmm...

My advice to you would be to self teach youself economics instead but, and I wish not to insult you, but I think you should aim for the lower universities and by this I mean the ones ranked from 5th to 10th. I say this because to stand a best chance at the top top ones, you would have needed professional help which clearly isn't offered. I would self teach Economics because unless you are exceptional at maths, you will find FM too hard and you will just get bored. Hope this helped
    Wow, I've never heard such ********.

ReputationRep:
    Tough choice. Some Uni's do look favorably upon business studies if economics is unavailable though.

Out of them I'd say FM or maybe drop an A-level and do both? That would be much better if you're motivated enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b_white)
    I would definitely recommend F. Maths, since there is a LOT of maths in economics (although why anyone would want to do stats is beyond me!).

If your school doesn't offer F. Maths you can do it with the Further Mathematics Network: http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/index.php
    My School doesn't offer F. Maths, and I tried the Further Maths Network but I'm in Wales, and they don't cover Wales

ReputationRep:
    Business Studies has suitable initials for good reason. Do NOT take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    Wow, I've never heard such ********.
    Well why is it ********? At the end of the day, they may say that they don't care if you did not do FM or Economics but at the end of the day, when choosing between a candidate who has done FM and/or Economics, provided that their interview was good, that person would be chosen but that is simply my opinion so don't mock me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Well why is it ********? At the end of the day, they may say that they don't care if you did not do FM or Economics but at the end of the day, when choosing between a candidate who has done FM and/or Economics, provided that their interview was good, that person would be chosen but that is simply my opinion so don't mock me.
    Oxford and Cambridge are 2 of the top 5. The others don't interview.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.