The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
-WhySoSerious?
Oxford and Cambridge are 2 of the top 5. The others don't interview.

Well I know LSE don't interview but that school is extremely picky! Plus the University Guide I read lists Warwick and St Andrews as 4th and 5th respectively in the UK and I am sure they interview.
sango
Well I know LSE don't interview but that school is extremely picky! Plus the University Guide I read lists Warwick and St Andrews as 4th and 5th respectively in the UK and I am sure they interview.

Didn't you read my post? No other UK university interviews for Economics.
Reply 22
sango

No.
Reply 23
-WhySoSerious?
Didn't you read my post? No other UK university interviews for Economics.

WHAT! :eek: Great now I look like a twit!
Reply 24
TomasK
No.

Sorry but someone else corrected me
Reply 25
I'd second what many other posters have said and recommend doing further maths (especially the pure modules) over economics. At degree level there is a lot of difficult maths, so further maths will be beneficial in making the transition. Also, in my opinion further maths is more difficult than economics, so should the time come where you need to learn the economics material, you'll have already done the hard work.
Clements-
Further Maths, definitely. I'd also argue that it's easier to self teach of the two and would be much more useful at the very top institutions. You can probably ignore the previous comment about taking up business studies. An interest in the subject itself is quite sufficient and no real benefit comes from taking up BS.

That bit sounds as if your saying ********
DarkWarrior
That bit sounds as if your saying Bullsh*t

Well Business Studies and ******** are quite interchangeable aren't they.
sango
Hmmm... :holmes:

My advice to you would be to self teach youself economics instead but, and I wish not to insult you, but I think you should aim for the lower universities and by this I mean the ones ranked from 5th to 10th. I say this because to stand a best chance at the top top ones, you would have needed professional help which clearly isn't offered. I would self teach Economics because unless you are exceptional at maths, you will find FM too hard and you will just get bored. Hope this helped :smile:

What are you basing thing dreadful reasoning on?
Reply 29
Also; if you teach it yourself how would the university know what to expect without predicted grades from a teacher. Would they base it on AS ..?
Reply 30
Clements-
What are you basing thing dreadful reasoning on?

Alas me wench, I have already been corrected :rolleyes:
Reply 31
I am in a similar position.

Is it difficult self teaching Further Maths AS in year 13 (will know more maths then)?
Will it take up a lot of time?
FM AS i found very easy although it depends on what modules you take(and that depends on which syllabus you're on). one of my friends is holding an offer for economics at cambridge & he didn't do economics at alevel (he did Maths, FM, Geography & Physics alevel plus RS as level btw).

so believe me, economics alevel is far from essential & tbh i would just go with whichever one you think you'd enjoy more &, most importantly, which one you have time to study, coz doing extra alevels is extraordinarily time-consuming.

as for interviews. oxford & cambridge always interview unless your grades are low enough that they know immediately that they can't give you an offer. no other unis guarantee interview, they might be impressed enough with your personal statement & predicted grades that they give you an offer without interview. i was under the inpression that even the top ones like warwick only interview when they aren't sure about a candidate. (that isnt necessarily negative btw, it might be that they just have too many candidates who are all excellent & they need to do more than just read through personal statements in order to choose between them)
Reply 33
adamdp
The Cambridge prospectus says;
Essential: Maths to A Level.
Desirable: Economics to A Level.

Not specifically aiming at Oxbridge though.

Desirable and reccomended - that's PRETTY similar :biggrin:.
Reply 34
sango

Ignore newspaper league tables. They're meaningless.
Reply 35
roosel4
Is it difficult self teaching Further Maths AS in year 13 (will know more maths then)?
Will it take up a lot of time?

No, AS-Level Further Maths isn't particularly time-consuming or difficult to self-teach. If you were to do FP1 and a statistics and a decision module, you'd be fine.
Reply 36
kai4321
I'd worried at the fact you haven't picked maybe Business. I know that LSE would want you to do it if Economics isn't offered however other unis might look at it badly.

I'm thinking Economics because it would make sense but doing well on FM would really boost your application - it's a tough one.

No they wouldn't given that it's blacklisted.

OP I would recommend Economics, although it's certainly not a requirement it will be more of a help than FM (at least in your first year)
Reply 37
ColdVein
No they wouldn't given that it's blacklisted.

OP I would recommend Economics, although it's certainly not a requirement it will be more of a help than FM (at least in your first year)

I'm leaning towards Economics, after looking over the course it's all stuff I'm interested in.
Reply 38
kai4321
I know that LSE would want you to do it if Economics isn't offered however other unis might look at it badly.

Really?

Course requirement: A level Mathematics is required. A level Economics is not essential. No other specific subjects are required at A level, but we prefer traditional academic subjects to subjects such as Communication Studies, Accounting, Business Studies or Media Studies
economics

Latest