Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    for the likes of kings,UEA,southampton how much emphasis do they put on the ukcat as theirs nothing on their site about it also any current students on this course whats your experience been during your studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cousto)
    for the likes of kings,UEA,southampton how much emphasis do they put on the ukcat as theirs nothing on their site about it also any current students on this course whats your experience been during your studies
    I'm not sure with UEA or Southampton, but Kings would be looking for above 600. Also for Kings you have been going to a school in Inner London and I'm sure there's other guidelines with Southampton and UEA aswell. If i remember correctly it's things like recieving EMA, Parents never been to uni and Etc.

Edit: I'm really eager aswell to speak to people on these courses aswell to get a kind of outline on what kind of students they take.

ReputationRep:
    You rang? (Sarky's also in her 4th year of the course I'm going to be doing)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    You rang? (Sarky's also in her 4th year of the course I'm doing)
    hope this isn't too long
    what was your student life like in your first year?
    does your UKCAT score have the most emphasis on yor application?
    what's the work load like relative to the 5 yr medics?
    is much work done between students studying other healthcare subjects e.g pharmacy?
    are the grades shown on the site a true reflection of people who got offers?
    is their a cap on the grades a applicant needs e.g if someone applying gets predict AAB?
    is their any significant differance between your course and the 5yr course?
    what do they think of modest GCSE/good A-levels?
    what applicants was this course made for?

ReputationRep:
    hope this isn't too long
    what was your student life like in your first year?
    does your UKCAT score have the most emphasis on yor application?
    what's the work load like relative to the 5 yr medics?
    is much work done between students studying other healthcare subjects e.g pharmacy?
    are the grades shown on the site a true reflection of people who got offers?
    is their a cap on the grades a applicant needs e.g if someone applying gets predict AAB?
    is their any significant differance between your course and the 5yr course?
    what do they think of modest GCSE/good A-levels?
    what applicants was this course made for?
    1) Apologies, I forgot to put 'going' in there, I'm starting in September. But I've heard the first year (year 0) is the best.
    2) I'm not entirely sure what impact it had, I had an average of something like 630.
    3) From what I've heard there's a fair amount of work in the first year, it definitely isn't an easy option and it's very competitive (but don't let that put you off if you meet the criteria and are interested in the course )
    4) Haven't seen the grades on the site, could you post a link?
    5) No, there isn't a cap, someone got an offer this year who was predicted AAA (with 4A's at AS). You will however need at least CCC at A-level and 5C's at GCSE. If you meet the minimum requirements you are fine and won't be at a disadvantage from the people with straight A's (if they apply).
    6) Nope, you pass year 0, you join BM5
    7) This course was made for people who meet certain socio-economic criteria. The exact criteria is listed on the website; an example is if you receive EMA, parents receive tax credit, first in your family to go to uni (excluding siblings) etc. There are some people who will be disadvantaged (yet incredibly capable and driven) who otherwise wouldn't get an opportunity to study medicine who meet all the criteria and people like me who meet the bare minimum criteria (although I still like to think I'm very capable and driven :p:)

Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    the site says :
    Typical entry requirements
    * A level: chemistry and biology/human biology at grade C, plus other subjects at A and/or AS level comparable to grade C at A level (or equivalent)

ReputationRep:
    the site says :
    Typical entry requirements
    * A level: chemistry and biology/human biology at grade C, plus other subjects at A and/or AS level comparable to grade C at A level (or equivalent)
    Yep, people who are predicted CCC got offers and I imagine people who were predicted or had AAB/AAA may have received offers

ReputationRep:
    Yep, people who are predicted CCC got offers and I imagine people who were predicted or had AAB/AAA may have received offers
    Do you know if the Kings 6 year course has a similiar UKcat cut off score??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    Do you know if the Kings 6 year course has a similiar UKcat cut off score??
    No mate I don't, sorry pal. Probably best to email King's admissions to get a definitive answer

ReputationRep:
    No mate I don't, sorry pal. Probably best to email King's admissions to get a definitive answer
    Thanks, I'm planing to phone the admission departments of the uni's im interested next week when i've done my Ukcats. My GCSE scores are weak, but if i get enough to be predicted 3 A's and get a nice ukcat score I'm going to be in a pickle when applying for med so 2 of my choices are going to be 6 year courses.

ReputationRep:
    You rang? (Sarky's also in her 4th year of the course I'm going to be doing)
    I don't actually know what year i'm in :o:

I should be in my final year which would have been year six for me.

But I intercalated so next year i'll be in fourth year which is actually year six and then my final year is year seven.

So i'm currently somwhere between third year and sixth year...

Oh the things you will think about to avoid work...

ReputationRep:
    anyone know if your ukcat is looked at more than 5 yr applicants

ReputationRep:
    Kings EMDP tend to interview everyone unless their ukcat is "incredibly low"
    So don't worry too much about it, I know my friend got an interview with below 500.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicolish)
    Kings EMDP tend to interview everyone unless their ukcat is "incredibly low"
    So don't worry too much about it, I know my friend got an interview with below 500.
    do you have any idea what their looking for
    what type of Q's they ask

ReputationRep:
    All the usual. Why medicine, why kings etc
    They focus a lot on your personal statement so go in knowing everything about it.

ReputationRep:
    anyone who got offers or on a 6 yr course
    how much work exp did you do??

ReputationRep:
    It's not about how much you do its about what you gain from it. That is true for however you enter medicine. Comparing won't help ascertain your chances of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    i just feel i may not gain enough to put in my PS and talk about to get a offer
    1:volunteer work at newham university hospital(once CRB comes in)
    2:volunteer work with people with learning disabillites throughout summer
    3:volunteer work in local PDSA store
    4:mentoring whole year should carry on to next year
    5:citezenship group at sixth form (go out campaigning and what not)

ReputationRep:
    i just feel i may not gain enough to put in my PS and talk about to get a offer
    1:volunteer work at newham university hospital(once CRB comes in)
    2:volunteer work with people with learning disabillites throughout summer
    3:volunteer work in local PDSA store
    4:mentoring whole year should carry on to next year
    5:citezenship group at sixth form (go out campaigning and what not)
    But in my last post I said that it isn't important how much you do. It's what you get out of it. Someone can have done 10 things but not explaini it well in their PS, whereas another person can do one thing, but because they were able to write about what they learnt from it their work experience would be deemed more beneficial.

And it will be easier to see you reply if you quote the person you're responding to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    But in my last post I said that it isn't important how much you do. It's what you get out of it. Someone can have done 10 things but not explaini it well in their PS, whereas another person can do one thing, but because they were able to write about what they learnt from it their work experience would be deemed more beneficial.

And it will be easier to see you reply if you quote the person you're responding to
    i'm thinking this now as the input i got from my PS comments on a lack of work experience and is saying you done a certain activity to try and strengthen your weaker skills a no?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.