Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm just going into third year and could really use my £200 overdraft extension right about now. Anyone know how early they'll release it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, I could do with mine really. I read that people who have just opened an account can get theirs after their uni place is confirmed, so after A Levels.

With that in mind, could we get ours on the grounds that we have some results and so are definitely continuing? I may ring tomorrow and see if they'll give me monies.

ReputationRep:
    Your logic makes sense, but I'm fairly sure they have a set date for releasing continuing students' overdrafts, and I'm not sure when that is, or how flexible they are about it.

ReputationRep:
    HSBC gave my friend hers today, she's going into second year. They said it was fine if she wanted it now. So its worth asking!

ReputationRep:
    It's annoying 'cause I can't remember when I got my extension last year. I'll go through my statements, see if I can figure it out.

EDIT: Could well have been June y'know, I'm definitely ringing to ask tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to know it they extend it automatically, or if you have to ask. I'll be needing every last penny of my overdraft until my loan comes through D: (I'm with HSBC btw)

ReputationRep:
    I had the same overdraft limit for the past two years until I realised I could extend it (as it hasnt been done automatically). You have to ask, I went into a branch and asked for it to be extended, they did it straight away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiah)
    I just want to know it they extend it automatically, or if you have to ask. I'll be needing every last penny of my overdraft until my loan comes through D: (I'm with HSBC btw)
    With Natwest, you definitely have to ask, but I think the same is true of other banks. They can normally do it within 24 hours of approving the increase.

ReputationRep:
    They aren't doing it until the first week of september, I tried today.

ReputationRep:
    So did I. They said the same. I might try again in a different branch though, because this is a branch virtually next door to the University.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into third year too - How much does the overdraft extension make the overdraft? Think mine is currently around £1400..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sugar_Puff_Fairy)
    I'm going into third year too - How much does the overdraft extension make the overdraft? Think mine is currently around £1400..
    You get another £200

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    So did I. They said the same. I might try again in a different branch though, because this is a branch virtually next door to the University.
    They are correctamundo Dionysus. There is usually a closed period up until middle of August(ie first year new students overdrafts bit) unless you are a graduate student.

ReputationRep:
    Does any one know, if i'm in my fourth year and haven't extended my over draft at all (i.e. natwest :. £1250), if i go and ask for an extension now, can i get just one years worth of extension (£1400, i think), or can i extend it all the way up to the 4th year limit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_moose)
    Does any one know, if i'm in my fourth year and haven't extended my over draft at all (i.e. natwest :. £1250), if i go and ask for an extension now, can i get just one years worth of extension (£1400, i think), or can i extend it all the way up to the 4th year limit?
    There really is only one way to find out...you have to be credit scored again I think.

Call them up (or visit them or whatever) and then get a decision. Ask for the maximum possible.

ReputationRep:
    hmm, that is true, just wondering whether anyone had done something similar, was all.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.