Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Astrology Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you believe astrology has any basis in truth?
    Yes
    14.04%
    No
    85.96%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    Well that's akin to calling myself a prophet by saying "Someday in the future life on Earth will cease to exist"
    -_-

No way.

ReputationRep:
    I agree they're generally a bunch of bull, with incredibly vague statements that you can apply to your life to make you believe its true but once my horoscope was really specific, it said something like "next Sunday you will meet a kind, handsome stranger on the bus who will help you out in some way". I did use the bus that day but my horoscope didn't come true...

Consider an astrology report on you like a drug prescription.
    So everyday in the newspapers, or whatever the heck your reading, are trying to get you hooked on their advice...their teachings and the meaning of your birthdate and year and crap like that. And they keep naming attributes till they get one that you ******* got.
    Are you energetic?
    Are you shy?
    Are you Athletic?
    Do you give a ****?
    And basically the newpaper or service will keep naming attributes until they finally found something that is relevant to you and in the hope that the reader would be like "OMG I DO THAT :O...That must be meeee" and will probably buy next days copy; or even better, subscribe to a premium service filled with more self satisfying, scamming ********.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a saggitarius ...and most most people I know who are saggitarius are just like me ..earth people like animals and nature ..it's wierd ,i can guess who is a saggitaruis and who isn't!

ReputationRep:
    definitely not

ReputationRep:
    No doubt seasons and environment hold a great effect on people's personalities. That's why you have bright light treatment for depression and why people generally get more frisky in summertime. But any direct correlation between planetary and stellar movement is pretty much nonsensical rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I think I would like to believe it and maybe there is. Basically I don't know, so I voted "no".

However, I think that I like astrology merely because it is a rather flimsy cover to talk about me and my characteristics without looking like a complete prat.

ReputationRep:
    I would if someone could give me a plausible explaination of how the movement of the planets could possibly predict my behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    lmao the predictions they make in the paper can be entertaining though. And I loved mystic meg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    I'm a saggitarius ...and most most people I know who are saggitarius are just like me ..earth people like animals and nature ..it's wierd ,i can guess who is a saggitaruis and who isn't!
    You realise that is most likely because you choose friends who have vaguely similar interests/personalities. I'm willing to wager that other people you know, who are not born under the "saggitarius" range also could be described as "earth people like animals and nature" if you want them to appear that way.

Equally I'm willing to wager that your friends also have certain personality traits that could be classified under other star signs, yet, people who believe this stuff will ignore these things and only focus on what they want to see to enforce their beliefs.

No one wants to be given evidence that dis-proves their own beliefs, it undermines everything about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    You realise that is most likely because you choose friends who have vaguely similar interests/personalities. I'm willing to wager that other people you know, who are not born under the "saggitarius" range also could be described as "earth people like animals and nature" if you want them to appear that way.

Equally I'm willing to wager that your friends also have certain personality traits that could be classified under other star signs, yet, people who believe this stuff will ignore these things and only focus on what they want to see to enforce their beliefs.

No one wants to be given evidence that dis-proves their own beliefs, it undermines everything about them.
    no, just people i meet for the first time or randomly, nearly all my friends are saggitaruis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    no, just people i meet for the first time or randomly, nearly all my friends are saggitaruis.
    You didn't actually answer my questions.

ReputationRep:
    No. It shouldn't be so popular in a country with a well educated population. I used to read horoscopes as just a laugh, and it's perfectly fine to do that, but nowadays I can't even bring myself to do that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.