Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worried about being a bit boring in terms of hobbies Watch

ReputationRep:
    I only do like about three things that I do actively as a hobby, which is windsurfing, chess and reading really but other hobbies/interests aren't really intense and I don't stick. What about you guys?

I feel quite bad as you get all these people who are very well rounded and say they are skilled in football, cricket, rugby, teenis, do volunteering, play grade 8 piano, etc. What do you make of this?

ReputationRep:
    Uhh....I have no hobbies :erm: unless shopping counts?

ReputationRep:
    How old are you because I'm at college and the majority only have three hobbies 'shopping, drinking and clubbing'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul McGann)
    I only do like about three things that I do actively as a hobby, which is windsurfing, chess and reading really but other hobbies/interests aren't really intense and I don't stick. What about you guys?

I feel quite bad as you get all these people who are very well rounded and say they are skilled in football, cricket, rugby, teenis, do volunteering, play grade 8 piano, etc. What do you make of this?
    You've got really interesting hobbies! I wouldn't feel bad about those at all, they're a bit out of the ordinary, which just makes you seem like an interesting person. Not everyone has to play tennis and football and be a piano god. Your hobbies clearly scream 'a laidback intelligent guy'.

I've only got one hobby as such.

ReputationRep:
    meinen hobbies would be strategy gaming, cricket, motorbikes, table tennis, chess, strategy gaming etc.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    ive got one hobby - guitar
    its kind of hard to sell myself with that?

ReputationRep:
    just try new things regardless because you may find it interesting thats the way i see it but if you don't then well at least you have tried, it thats my plan

ReputationRep:
    I have nack-all hobbies really
    so no i wouldn't worry one bit

ReputationRep:
    Cycling, swimming really. Everything else like working on cars, movies etc in an interest. Well it's all the same!

ReputationRep:
    I think most people worry about this. I play guitar, clarinet, keyboard, saxophone, sing, design websites and other techy stuff, read abundantly, enjoy digital photography and all that goes with it and would be obsessed with motorbikes if I just had the money to take the test and get one and I love writing and cooking.

Despite all of that, I still often feel like I'm a really boring person who does nothing. I don't think I'll ever do enough to remove that feeling either, it rather sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raceforthefishman)
    I have nack-all hobbies really
    so no i wouldn't worry one bit
    so what do you do all day?

just work and eat and flick votre bean?

surely you must have ONE hobby/interest!

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Bikes, Cameras and 4x4s, with a bit of reading and Lego thrown in for good measure. Thrilling, non?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see why people seem to correlate hobbies with being an interesting character. I mean I've done some volunteer work over the summer but that doesn't suddenly make me a more interesting person to be around...

Obviously, if you're sat on your arse doing sweet fanny adams then you'll have nothing to talk about but so long as you actually have some form of a social life you'll be fine. It's not like all those grade 8 pianists sit around lecturing people on the delights of Schumann all day.

So long as you have even a small ability to engage in small talk and have some interests you'll be able to chat to most people quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    so what do you do all day?

just work and eat and flick votre bean?

surely you must have ONE hobby/interest!

squish.
    dammit you caught me....:sigh:

this is why really was in italics

day to day life involves...school, school work, work work, reading..then...

I play in a brass band, and sing in a choir, also perform in pantomimes at christmas but its all very low key hence italics
    :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul McGann)

Are you an idiot?

You just said windsurfing, mate that is INFINITELY more cooler than football.

I used to be one of the UK's best Age of Empires 3 players and I always used to hide it, but now I'm proud. I am who I am, and if some girl isn't going to like it then she can eat poo; it's her loss - not mine.

Chess admittedly is not the most exciting, but you've really got nothing to worry about with windsurfing. It blows football out the water.

Cricket and Piano are a below tier than reading in my eyes.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    There's nothing wrong with your hobbies - they look fine. I'm guessing you could have diversified when you were younger, and been known as the bloke who did everything, but would you have liked it? I'm guessing not. There's no need to try and conform to what you think everyone else does; just be yourself!

Since everyone else seems to be listing their hobbies: hockey, singing, acting, reading, charity work, musical compoistion and being a geek. Meh.

ReputationRep:
    ermmm.. i have absolutely no hobbies... :'( except seeing my bf lol
    i just cant seem to stick to anything i ever do... gave up on singing, drums, acting, charity work, reading etc...

ReputationRep:
    Your name, avatar and signature tell me you're not boring :love:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.