Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In the past two years, I've come to a conclusion that I'm awful at coming to a decision and sticking with it...:rolleyes: lol.

I should (hopefully, God willing etc) get a 2:1 Law degree next year.

I done Law as it interested me at the time, some areas still do interest me, but not as much as I'd hope, and I still haven't found the 'niche' that I've wanted to find.

If I was to take the Legal route, I'd probably do the LPC - although I'm not 100% sure on whether after that I'd want to practice Law, so I'd only do that if I got a Training Contract and they were paying for my LPC and I'd complete whatever and see where it leads.

What other careers could I look at? A friend advised of of Graduate Placement Schemes, I already (almost) have one secured due to some summer temp-experience at a large multinational firm, but their line-of-work is probably not something I'd be interested in. Is there a list or something of these schemes?

Anyone been in this position?

Sorry if the post is long!

ReputationRep:
    I guess I could be in a similar situation. I've completed the 2nd year of 4 year Law degree.

So next year is your last? How have you been spending this summer? Vacation scheme?

I've notice people tend to go for Accenture when they don't know what they want to do, not that I'm recommending this. Hmm, how about the Civil Service? Or the Government Legal Service (GLS)? I've recently been looking at these are I'm very interested.

Btw, Graduate Placement Schemes? For a complete year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP123)
    I guess I could be in a similar situation. I've completed the 2nd year of 4 year Law degree.

So next year is your last? How have you been spending this summer? Vacation scheme?

I've notice people tend to go for Accenture when they don't know what they want to do, not that I'm recommending this. Hmm, how about the Civil Service? Or the Government Legal Service (GLS)? I've recently been looking at these are I'm very interested.

Btw, Graduate Placement Schemes? For a complete year?
    Yep my last year. Haven't really wholeheartedly applied for Vacation Schemes, so not been on one. Come to think of it, no-one I know has one :confused:

lol yeah I've noticed the Accenture thing too, I work with a few of their employees at my job - same with Ernst & Young.

well e.g. at Unilever (I work there) they have graduate schemes that take a selected bunch for various departments, and "map out" their future at the company so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeSiFiEd)
    Yep my last year. Haven't really wholeheartedly applied for Vacation Schemes, so not been on one. Come to think of it, no-one I know has one :confused:

lol yeah I've noticed the Accenture thing too, I work with a few of their employees at my job - same with Ernst & Young.

well e.g. at Unilever (I work there) they have graduate schemes that take a selected bunch for various departments, and "map out" their future at the company so to speak.
    Ah right so are you enjoying it there?

I know, Vacation Schemes seem to be rarely discussed other than on TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP123)
    Ah right so are you enjoying it there?

I know, Vacation Schemes seem to be rarely discussed other than on TSR
    I'm just temp'ing at Unilever atm which is fine, the department I'm in wouldn't appeal to me after my degree though, perhaps a different department. My team's manager managed to hook me up with the head of the graduate scheme, so that is likely to be an option for me either way, its just deciding whether I want to, and what part of the company.

lol, I actually only know 2 people that have had a vacation scheme. :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeSiFiEd)
    I'm just temp'ing at Unilever atm which is fine, the department I'm in wouldn't appeal to me after my degree though, perhaps a different department. My team's manager managed to hook me up with the head of the graduate scheme, so that is likely to be an option for me either way, its just deciding whether I want to, and what part of the company.

lol, I actually only know 2 people that have had a vacation scheme. :confused: :confused:
    Accenture may be work a look, they offer so many types of careers, can't go wrong with business/consulting really.

You really have no desire for law?

Don't feel tied down to Unilever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP123)
    Accenture may be work a look, they offer so many types of careers, can't go wrong with business/consulting really.

You really have no desire for law?

Don't feel tied down to Unilever.
    Yeah, a few of my cousins work at Accenture, will look into them.

I'm undecided with Law, and as it is so expensive to continue, I wouldn't want to spend that amount myself, soon to realise that I didn't really want to do it in the first place! I've found bits of the Law interesting, but haven't really found a good 'niche' that I'd be interested to practice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.