Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teletext Gamecentral to cease broadcasting. Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's something to read during ad breaks and the news can be interesting as I'm not one of those people who tracks games relentlessly (a.k.a. setting yourself up for some level of disappointment when the game's released).

And FYI everyone who brags about their 'bargains' pale in comparison to my Tekken Tag Tournament and Hitman: Blood Money for 50p each.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redanator)
    There is a general statement here: "Teletext will end in each region after analogue broadcasts finish."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletex...ion_of_service

Also: "It was announced on July 17th 2009 that GameCentral will cease broadcast in January 2010 along with all other Teletext editorial content".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameCentral
    What's stopping reading it on digital? (as I currently do)

ReputationRep:
    I vaguely recall going it when I was about 7 to read about Crash Bandicoot, but I was under the impression it had already disappeared long ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    What's stopping reading it on digital? (as I currently do)
    That's what I do too. I guess they must just be pulling the service completely.:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Stay away from Mr T's bins! Been into them ever since someone wrote in to the official nintendo magazine complaining that they only gave Mario Kart 64 43%, and i thought that was actually a fair score so decided to check them out. They are pretty much bang on with their reviews, it'll be a shame to see them go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    Stay away from Mr T's bins! Been into them ever since someone wrote in to the official nintendo magazine complaining that they only gave Mario Kart 64 43%, and i thought that was actually a fair score so decided to check them out. They are pretty much bang on with their reviews, it'll be a shame to see them go.
    I was pretty miffed once when they gave Lost Odyssey 5/10! Turned out that I like a lot of what they hated about it anyway, I guess it can be a matter of preference.

ReputationRep:
    That's why reviews should be revamped. Reviews shouldn't have scores out of 10, just detail what the games does and how it does it.

Reviewers **** on Assassin's Creed but the public love it (and I'm thoroughly enjoying it right now, I don't see what's so wrong with it). In the end it's just one guy saying what he thinks.

It's particularly worse on GameSpot, who use reviewrs who dislikes RPGs to review an RPG game, or one guy to review the PS2 version of a game but someone entirely different to review the Xbox version, say.

Or like IGN who got someone who played FIFA once to review Football Manager, which meant the reviewer gave it a terrible score (3/10 was it?) and said they should try FIFA/Pro Evo instead because it wasn't pick-up-and-play and had so much info. The review was removed and re-reviewed though...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it means analogue teletext is going, and the digital one is getting a revamp?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Does anyone remember "Backchat" on BBC1? Was Page 577 I believe :grin:
    Yeah :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Having erad up on this, it just seems like the Analogue service is going, which is a given since analogue is being removed. It wouldn't make sense for it to be removed completely from digital Teletext as well, that would just be stupid. =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omicronlyrae)
    Having erad up on this, it just seems like the Analogue service is going, which is a given since analogue is being removed. It wouldn't make sense for it to be removed completely from digital Teletext as well, that would just be stupid. =/
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8154022.stm

All analogue and a lot of digital content seems to be going. According to this only commercial stuff like holiday pages will continue to be shown on digital.
    "All Teletext's news and information services - both on analogue and digital - will cease in January 2010"

ReputationRep:
    o.O But that doesn't make any sense. Teletext isn't exactly going to stop being used. =/ Weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Reviewers **** on Assassin's Creed but the public love it (and I'm thoroughly enjoying it right now, I don't see what's so wrong with it). In the end it's just one guy saying what he thinks.
    In truth, the reviewers are right, and I think in time you'll come to see that as well. As enjoyable as AC is, it should be pretty obvious to you that the gameplay is extremely repetitive as you go from mission to mission (they all follow the exact same formula). It is also ridiculously easy (I mean, you can have 20 guards circled around Altair at once with swords drawn, and Altair can comfortably kill all 20 guards without getting a scratch on him then walk away through a crowd as if nothing happened). It's fun and a good game, but it's missing a lasting appeal, which would have been helped by having more variety and even the faintest hint of difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    In truth, the reviewers are right, and I think in time you'll come to see that as well. As enjoyable as AC is, it should be pretty obvious to you that the gameplay is extremely repetitive as you go from mission to mission (they all follow the exact same formula). It is also ridiculously easy (I mean, you can have 20 guards circled around Altair at once with swords drawn, and Altair can comfortably kill all 20 guards without getting a scratch on him then walk away through a crowd as if nothing happened). It's fun and a good game, but it's missing a lasting appeal, which would have been helped by having more variety and even the faintest hint of difficulty.
    This.

Remember at the end of the game, where they just completely run out of ideas and throw everyone at you? Boring! I don't use Gamespot anymore, but IIRC they gave Assassins Creed a very high score.

ReputationRep:
    Regarding Assassin's Creed realism, I don't think it is intended to be entirely realistic. It is meant to be more stylish, which kicked 6 guards who are circled around you's arses is, along with grabbing impossible ledges, climbing towers with barely anything to hang on to and running along walls.

And jumping into hay from 10 storeys high to stop guards looking for you...

Let alone having a couple of minutes' conversation with people you just killed all in a split-second.

And as for the repetitiveness, you only have to do two of the objectives, you're not forced to do everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Does anyone remember "Backchat" on BBC1? Was Page 577 I believe :grin:
    yeah then they got rid of it for some other thing..that wasnt as interesting

ReputationRep:
    Digitiser > GameCentral.

THOSE PESKY KIDS IN MY BINS :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    :sad:I used to read this loads some years back, but then we changed tv and the internet came along :s:
    yeah, this is a bit silly. I'd consider giving a crap if this were 1990. haha, but then there would be no online petition to save it...

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.