Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Currently i am looking at Science courses and they require BBBB, I have AAB. Do you think this is enough for me to get in the course?

I am not applying this year but next, i just want to know so then il be able to relax a bit for 6th year, because 5th year was terrible!

Here are the subjects and grades that i have:

Geography - A
    Human Biology - A
    Chemistry - B

All at Higher level.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Only because I can't really seeing them giving you an unconditional with only 3 highers.

your best bet would be to email them. no one can give you a definite answer here.

ReputationRep:
    you will proberly get in. i was in the same situation as you. applying for science courses. with

Maths - A
    Biology - A
    Chemistry - B

most of the courses i applied for wanted between BBBC and AAB. I got 5/5 offers. you should defintly get in with those grades. =)

ReputationRep:
    I got in with ABBC so yes I would say so.

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine, because normally an A equals two B's, so you pretty much have 5 B's, which is actually more than the entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on what science it is not having higher maths could lower your chances.

Phoning or emailing them is the best advice I can give.

ReputationRep:
    Well since you did get the Highers in science related subjects, the prospectus states that with three Highers at ABC level in those subjects you could gain entry to the science faculty. I know somebody who got an Unconditional for Biological Sciences at with ABC grades as they were all science/maths subjects.

ReputationRep:
    You'd likely get an unconditional.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they count Geog as a science for admission purposes (or at least they didn't), and I wouldn't read much into the prospectus since they've had to have a rethink given the massive increases in apps (only Education and Engineering this year- less than 100 out of 4500 places had any spaces, and Edinburgh actually filled everything for a change), so I, nor anyone on here, can say with any assurances of what kind of offer you'd get. I think you'll get an offer of sorts, but they're usually (from when I worked on clearing for them a few years back) relatively harsh on those who are going back for sixth year but didn't have four highers first time round- I can see them asking for something, but it'd probably be a grade B in anything. This is pure speculation though, but you've got plenty of time to worry about it- pick up three subjects next year and wait and see what the conditionals are, then you can drop one if required.

ReputationRep:
    Geography does count as a science, at least it did when I applied.

Although the prospectus says BBBB/ABC(all science subjects) that is really the minimum they are asking for. With more and more people applying they may have to increase the grades or be more selective in choosing who to accept.

ReputationRep:
    Geography is a Science subject, it says so on the prospectus.

ReputationRep:
    I've checked- and it is now a science. I'm not convinced this has always been the case- the argument once went that since you had a choice between Geog/Mod Stud/History in lots of schools (i.e. timetabling meant you tended to only be able to do one) then those that picked Geog essentially had an extra science subject to play with, potentially strengthening your application. This was about 2002 though, so obviously its changed. Also- the ABC in lieu of BBBB has changed now, it just mentions BBBB to include at least two science subjects, so the conditional has gotten a little more difficult. English students used to be able to apply with BCC if they were all science a-levels, this has also been upped to BBB and at least two- evidence that the conditionals are getting a bit tougher. I still think you'll be fine, they might well decide that if you're going back for sixth they'd want a fourth subject though, but unless your personal statement/reference is really very poor, I'm 99% sure you'll get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    I've checked- and it is now a science. I'm not convinced this has always been the case- the argument once went that since you had a choice between Geog/Mod Stud/History in lots of schools (i.e. timetabling meant you tended to only be able to do one) then those that picked Geog essentially had an extra science subject to play with, potentially strengthening your application. This was about 2002 though, so obviously its changed. Also- the ABC in lieu of BBBB has changed now, it just mentions BBBB to include at least two science subjects, so the conditional has gotten a little more difficult. English students used to be able to apply with BCC if they were all science a-levels, this has also been upped to BBB and at least two- evidence that the conditionals are getting a bit tougher. I still think you'll be fine, they might well decide that if you're going back for sixth they'd want a fourth subject though, but unless your personal statement/reference is really very poor, I'm 99% sure you'll get an offer.
    I emailed them and they want another B from me! Which is quite annoying as to get into Psychology you need ABBB/AAB and i have AAB for a course that requires BBBB and they are still asking for more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am totally random)
    I emailed them and they want another B from me! Which is quite annoying as to get into Psychology you need ABBB/AAB and i have AAB for a course that requires BBBB and they are still asking for more!
    Is it Psychology you are applying for? What did you get your highers in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    Is it Psychology you are applying for? What did you get your highers in?

No, im not applying for Psychology i was making a point that i have the grades to do Psycology which you need more than BBBB, and yet they are asking fro more!

I am applying for Geography and have:

Higher Geography - A
    Higher Huamn Biology - A
    Higher Chemistry - B

I also have a D in Higher English but they wont look at this will they?

ReputationRep:
    No, im not applying for Psychology i was making a point that i have the grades to do Psycology which you need more than BBBB, and yet they are asking fro more!

I am applying for Geography and have:

Higher Geography - A
    Higher Huamn Biology - A
    Higher Chemistry - B

I also have a D in Higher English but they wont look at this will they?
    Nah, they won't look at English. The problem you have is, while they'll accept AAB in lieu of ABBB at first sitting for arts/socsci courses, they don't say anything about what they'd expect if you didn't have four Bs for a Science course. In other words, they probably expect the four higher minimum here, and because you've only got three, they'll ask for another.

ReputationRep:
    Currently i am looking at Science courses and they require BBBB, I have AAB. Do you think this is enough for me to get in the course?

I am not applying this year but next, i just want to know so then il be able to relax a bit for 6th year, because 5th year was terrible!

Here are the subjects and grades that i have:

Geography - A
    Human Biology - A
    Chemistry - B

All at Higher level.
    Yes you probably will coz those are 3 science subjects
    I got an unconditional with AABC

Good luck for applying and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Rock N Roll)
    Yes you probably will coz those are 3 science subjects
    I got an unconditional with AABC

Good luck for applying and stuff.
    What were the four subjects you did?

ReputationRep:
    What were the four subjects you did?
    English, biology, information systems and chemistry

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.