Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Someone I work with always laughs himself silly when I speak Watch

Anon or delete please

There is other guy at work who is about 19 (younger than me) and he always seems to find it hilarious when I speak, and often just laughs in my face when I am talking, he has no manners and doesn't care if I see him laugh or not.

I may have a slightly gay-sounding voice, but it's not camp (think Beckham). Even if it was, I still don't think I should be treated with such public disrespect.

How do I deal with him?

ReputationRep:
    Speak to your manager, its workplace bullying.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he has a crush on you!!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    This and the guy sounds like a complete bum-wipe.

(Original post by Reue)
    Yeah, but in the end, it's homophobia (even though I am not gay, FWIW) and I don't really want to draw attention to it.

This lad at work obviously finds it hilarious that my voice is 'different' to his and other people's. I don't really respect him anymore, and he probably laughs in people's faces because he is used to being treated like that himself, so he thinks it's normal behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah, but in the end, it's homophobia
    So? what difference does it make? bullying is bullying and im pretty sure your company wont accept it.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried asking him directly what he's laughing at? If that fails, I'd go with the telling your manager idea, so long as he/she is the type to understand and do something about it without drawing anyone else's attention to the problem.

ReputationRep:
    Homophobia?....

Maybe you just have a funny voice?
    Maybe he reminds you of someone else, which is why he can't stop himself from laughing?
    Maybe you say funny/stupid things a lot of the time?

...Based on what I've read here, it sounds like you've jumped to conclusions a bit by calling him a homophobe.

(Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Have you tried asking him directly what he's laughing at? If that fails, I'd go with the telling your manager idea, so long as he/she is the type to understand and do something about it without drawing anyone else's attention to the problem.
    He is effectively part of the management anyway, there's no way they will take my side of the argument. I work in a supermarket you see, and although he isn';t on my department per se, I do see him in the warehouse out back.

Like today, a group of managers (and him) approached me and asked me a question, when I responded i noticed this guy giggling as if he was really embrrassed for me. :confused:

It really makes me feel uneasy around the workplace. And I presume it is to do with my voice. Like I say, I don't respect him anymore - I only respect people generally if they respect me - but I don't see why I should tolerate being treated like that.

(Original post by tomthecool)
    Homophobia?....

Maybe you just have a funny voice?
    Maybe he reminds you of someone else, which is why he can't stop himself from laughing?
    Maybe you say funny/stupid things a lot of the time?

...Based on what I've read here, it sounds like you've jumped to conclusions a bit by calling him a homophobe.
    Nope, when I talk to him one on one, he usually replies to me in a mock camp voice. This proves homophobia is his problem. He is probably one of those cavemen that thinks gay men arent real and are just part of urban myths, like trolls and wizards. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Nope, when I talk to him one on one, he usually replies to me in a mock camp voice. This proves homophobia is his problem. He is probably one of those cavemen that thinks gay men arent real and are just part of urban myths, like trolls and wizards. :rolleyes:
    next time he does it, just ask him if he's got a ******* problem?

then if he keeps giving u hassle, u can go straight to hr

i doubt they'd take his side when they have a potential lawsuit on their hands

ReputationRep:
    Is he giggling or is it spiteful sounding? There was a guy I worked with who did that because he wanted to molest me.

ReputationRep:
    tell him to stfu, or report him

ReputationRep:
    Next time he laughs just ask him flat out why he's laughing. He'll feel really immature. It's just one of those things. Some people are jsut weird. The other managers should have something though, its really innappropriate.

I'm sorry but if you sound anything like Alan Carr I would probably laugh too. But I would feel really bad afterwards, promise not to do it again and try to keep my promise.

ReputationRep:
    maybe youre just a naturally funny person

but id say speak to your boss about him/the problem

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.