Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got my first payslip today and my tax code said 647L which means they give me a weekly allowance however I filled in a P38(s) a few days ago and sent it to the payroll department to my agency. I was lucky not to get taxed much as a claimed travel and subsidence allowance

How long did it take to get your tax code changed as Im worried it might take a while to get it change especially as I get paid weekly. Also if I ring my local tax office can they change it directly?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but 647L is the basic tax code and is almost certainly the one you should be on. 647L means you only pay tax on earnings over £6,470 per tax year. There isn't a lower tax code than that as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but 647L is the basic tax code and is almost certainly the one you should be on. 647L means you only pay tax on earnings over £6,470 per tax year. There isn't a lower tax code than that as far as I know.
    Yeah there is there is the NT tax code which means no tax for students who are exempt from paying tax during the holidays and earn less than £6470

ReputationRep:
    Any tax you have paid over what you should have done can be paid back to you, when the tax code is changed just send off your payslips that you believe you've been taxed too much on and a covering letter asking them to investigate the amount you've paid.

ReputationRep:
    As for how long it will take - well, it totally depends! It depends on how quickly payroll register it and depends on how fast inland sort it out - and they are pretty slow.
    If you are being taxed already, then just be patient because you will get it back :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haz220807)
    Any tax you have paid over what you should have done can be paid back to you, when the tax code is changed just send off your payslips that you believe you've been taxed too much on and a covering letter asking them to investigate the amount you've paid.
    Payslips shouldn't even need to be sent off. HMRC will have it all on the database what she got taxed and when, not only this, but so will payroll and so when her tax code gets changed, the whole process of asking for a tax rebate can be done over the phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    Payslips shouldn't even need to be sent off. HMRC will have it all on the database what she got taxed and when, not only this, but so will payroll and so when her tax code gets changed, the whole process of asking for a tax rebate can be done over the phone.
    I was just going on my experience when I had my tax code changed (had been paying emergency tax) and I phoned up and explained the situation. They said they needed all the payslips that showed how much I'd been taxed as well as a covering letter. You'd think they'd know how much to give back really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haz220807)
    I was just going on my experience when I had my tax code changed (had been paying emergency tax) and I phoned up and explained the situation. They said they needed all the payslips that showed how much I'd been taxed as well as a covering letter. You'd think they'd know how much to give back really...
    True they should know especially when they are paying you :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisateen)
    True they should know especially when they are paying you :rolleyes:
    Nothing's ever that simple though is it? Well at least I got the money back in the end.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.