Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Putting someone on your insurance temporarily? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm going to a festival with my boyfriend in about three weeks, and it's a longggg way.

I passed my test a couple of days ago, so my parents aren't keen on the idea of me driving such a long distance, on motorways and the like. My boyfriend is a wonderful driver, and safely got us from the Midlands to London, then to Brighton and back again a couple of months ago, so they trust him a lot more than they trust me, haha. The thing is, he drives a classic mini that's been overheating a fair amount recently, and neither of us wants to risk breaking down on the way. It's also small - obviously - and we're going to have a tent, blah blah.

My parents suggested that I put my boyfriend on my insurance temporarily, for the 4 days of the festival, because apparently they did this when they were younger? But I didn't even realise you could do this - I have NO idea how much it costs, and was wondering if anyone could give me a really vague, ballpark estimate, to see if it's even worth ringing up to check. I mean, I don't even know how many digits we're talking. Has anyone had experience of this?

I drive a Corsa (1.2), had insurance for a year as a learner, passed a couple of days ago. He's almost 19, has been driving the mini for over a year (I think!) with no claims.

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge - I'm crap with things like this :o: :p:

ReputationRep:
    I just found a reference to having to be over 21 to get temporary insurance. Anyone verify?

ReputationRep:
    Most temporary insurers only take people over 21 from what I understand, but it's worth looking around, just use google.

ReputationRep:
    I think you can stick someone on your car as a named driver - but only on a monthly basis (at least for my Car Insurance you can) I don't think many Insurance companies will allow for cover over such a short period. Nevertheless - If he were to be insured on your Corsa for a Month with No Claims and a year of experience I would say it would probably come to around £90-ish. Not cheap - but an estimate that would be pretty standard given my doubts about insurance companies granting insurance over such periods.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I just did a quick look on google and found there's none which take people under 21, unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    I've just put the missus on my car to drive in europe for two weeks, £18.90.

She's crashed 3 times, and is 21.

If that helps.

ReputationRep:
    i know my mum insured me on her car for about a month :dontknow: but i'm not sure about 4 days..

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on my dad's for a month, I passed 6 months ago. Like above I'm not sure about for 4 days. When I first rung to insure myself on my dad's, they told me his policy runs out in 3 days so I can insure myself now for 3 days or ring back once he's renewed in order to insure myself for longer. So I guess it is possible.

ReputationRep:
    Mine is a month minimum, when I looked at putting the missus on, and that would have cost about £40. Shes 20.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thejadedwords)
    Hey, I'm going to a festival with my boyfriend in about three weeks, and it's a longggg way.

I passed my test a couple of days ago, so my parents aren't keen on the idea of me driving such a long distance, on motorways and the like. My boyfriend is a wonderful driver, and safely got us from the Midlands to London, then to Brighton and back again a couple of months ago, so they trust him a lot more than they trust me, haha. The thing is, he drives a classic mini that's been overheating a fair amount recently, and neither of us wants to risk breaking down on the way. It's also small - obviously - and we're going to have a tent, blah blah.

My parents suggested that I put my boyfriend on my insurance temporarily, for the 4 days of the festival, because apparently they did this when they were younger? But I didn't even realise you could do this - I have NO idea how much it costs, and was wondering if anyone could give me a really vague, ballpark estimate, to see if it's even worth ringing up to check. I mean, I don't even know how many digits we're talking. Has anyone had experience of this?

I drive a Corsa (1.2), had insurance for a year as a learner, passed a couple of days ago. He's almost 19, has been driving the mini for over a year (I think!) with no claims.

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge - I'm crap with things like this :o: :p:
    Surley getting you there safely (as in you arrived not crashing) is the least your rents would expect.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.