Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I'm off to Muenich next week and need to check before I leave (and therefore by tomorrow!!) whether it's cool for me to use my own credit card, having booked with my Mum's - because I didn't have a credit card at the time. My German has dramatically slipped in the past 4 years (part of the reason for the visit) and I've been really slacking off with practising so I'm really not confident that what I've written makes sense. Can someone (lots of people! :p: ) check for glaring errors so I can send them something that is legible??

Ta +rep for decent help!!

"Sehr geehrte Wombat City Hostel

Ich habe ein Platz in sein Muenchen Wohnheim fuer mein Urlaub naechste Woche (fuer 5 Nachte – August 10th-14th) gebucht. Als ich habe es gebucht habe ich mit der Karte meiner Mutter die Anzahlung gezahlt, aber ich werde allein reisen, und ich muss den Rest an meiner einziger Karte zahlen als ich an Montag komme an. Ist es notwendig Ihnen die Kartedetails im Voraus zur Verfuegung stellen, oder kann ich nur komme an und zahle ohne weiterer Massnahmen?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

[Bekaboo]"

ReputationRep:
    Als ich es gebucht habe ...

ReputationRep:
    Wombats have loads of international guests, so you might be better off writing in English. I think they require all their staff to be reasonably fluent in English :p: .

Anyways, here's what I would write:

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren, [you don't use a company name after 'Sehr geehrte...']

ich habe fuer naechste Woche ein Bett in ihrem ['sein' doesn't make sense here] Hostel in Muenchen gebucht. ['Wohnheim' is halls at university - the German word for 'youth hostel' is 'Jugendherberge', but many people use this only for the traditionally organised hostels, so you'll be fine using an anglicism]
    Als ich gebucht habe, habe ich die Anzahlung mit der Kreditkarte meiner Mutter bezahlt, werde aber allein reisen und deshalb den Rest mit meiner eigenen Karte bezahlen ['einzige' is 'unique/single', 'eigene' is 'own'].
    Ist es notwendig, Ihnen die Kartendetails im Voraus zukommen zu lassen [or, simpler: 'im Voraus zu schicken'] oder kann ich einfach zahlen wenn ich ankomme?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Although your version is not too bad at all, they certainly would know what you mean :yes: .

/edit: dates: "10. - 14. August"

ReputationRep:
    Ich habe einen Platz in ihrem Muenchener Hostel fuer meinen Urlaub naechste Woche (fuer 5 Nachte – August 10th-14th) gebucht. Ich hab die Anzahlung bei der Buchung mit der Karte meiner Mutter gezahlt, aber da ich allein reise werde ich den Rest mit meiner eigenen Karte bei meiner Ankunft am Montag zahlen. Benötigen sie die Kartendetails im Voraus, oder kann ich das bei meiner Ankunft regeln?

Dunno, there's not much to choose between this and Y_____ 's version. I agree with him that Hostel instead of Wohnheim is probably better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Hello all,

I'm off to Muenich next week and need to check before I leave (and therefore by tomorrow!!) whether it's cool for me to use my own credit card, having booked with my Mum's - because I didn't have a credit card at the time. My German has dramatically slipped in the past 4 years (part of the reason for the visit) and I've been really slacking off with practising so I'm really not confident that what I've written makes sense. Can someone (lots of people! :p: ) check for glaring errors so I can send them something that is legible??

Ta +rep for decent help!!

Ich habe ein Platz in sein Muenchen Wohnheim fuer mein Urlaub naechste Woche (fuer 5 Nachte – August 10th-14th) gebucht. Als ich habe es gebucht habe ich mit der Karte meiner Mutter die Anzahlung gezahlt, aber ich werde allein reisen, und ich muss den Rest an meiner einziger Karte zahlen als ich an Montag komme an. Ist es notwendig Ihnen die Kartedetails im Voraus zur Verfuegung stellen, oder kann ich nur komme an und zahle ohne weiterer Massnahmen?

[Bekaboo]"
    Woo hoo Munich! Enjoy!

I've changed your perfect tense to imperfect as I was told that you shouldn't use it when writing.

Ich buchte ein Zimmer in seinem Muenchner Wohnheim fuer meinen Urlaub naechste Woche (fuer 5 Nachte – August 10th-14th). Als ich es buchte, bezahlte ich die Anzahlung mit der Karte meiner Mutter, aber ich werde alleine reisen, und ich muss den Rest mit meiner einzigen Karte bezahlen, als ich am Montag ankomme. Ist es notwendig Ihnen die Kartedetails im Voraus zur Verfuegung zu stellen, oder kann ich nur ankommen und ohne weitere Massnahmen bezahlen?

[Bekaboo]"

Hopefully this is ok as I'm feeling ill today and my skills have been off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetstar91)
    Als ich es gebucht habe ...
    *facepalm* Told you I was out of practice. It's awful having to think about word order. I don't know how I ever coped before I just sort of knew it...

@ Y: Thanks for that. I'm trying to do odds and ends from what I do know (e.g. dear sir and madam - which sounds way too formal, but I'm guessing I can't say Liebe Wombat hehe!) Also thanks for picking up on 'own' - I've ALWAYS made that mistake - with einzige, einige and... something else similar. Always got them confused hehe

@ KwungSun: Thanks for the neatening - I'm aware some of what I've written is horribly longwinded because I'm thinking in English.

@ hannah_dru: As a Latin person I tend to be fairly static in my use of perfect / imperfect: if the action is finished (I booked the hostel, and it's done and over) then I automatically use perfect. I'm not sure about the not writing the perfect thing - I tended to be told the other way around. You speak the perfect less because it's easy to tangle up. Although maybe that was more intended as life advice than a reflection on the German language!!

Thanks all - rep on the way

ReputationRep:
    welcome!

ReputationRep:

@ hannah_dru: As a Latin person I tend to be fairly static in my use of perfect / imperfect: if the action is finished (I booked the hostel, and it's done and over) then I automatically use perfect. I'm not sure about the not writing the perfect thing - I tended to be told the other way around. You speak the perfect less because it's easy to tangle up. Although maybe that was more intended as life advice than a reflection on the German language!!

Thanks all - rep on the way
    Ok I suppose it may vary from language to language but I remember that my German linguistics lecturer wrote "Do not use perfect in your written work." If I'm speaking I'll always use the perfect though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Ok I suppose it may vary from language to language but I remember that my German linguistics lecturer wrote "Do not use perfect in your written work." If I'm speaking I'll always use the perfect though.
    That's too rigid a commandment. The perfect is less used in written than in spoken German but you'll still find it anywhere from novels to newspaper articles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    That's too rigid a commandment. The perfect is less used in written than in spoken German but you'll still find it anywhere from novels to newspaper articles.
    That's true I have seen it used in the novel I'm reading. Trying not to get too muddled though for my YA dissertation later in the year.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    :ditto:
    Im Geschriebenen ist das Perfekt zwar nicht die normale Erzählzeit, aber das bedeutet nicht, daß es überhaupt nicht verwendet würde.

ReputationRep:
    yeh sounds good enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    :ditto:
    Im Geschriebenen ist das Perfekt zwar nicht die normale Erzählzeit, aber das bedeutet nicht, daß es überhaupt nicht verwendet würde.
    Danke Thinking about it I suppose it's not really acceptable for academic work but for everyday use it's ok.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Danke Thinking about it I suppose it's not really acceptable for academic work but for everyday use it's ok.
    It's fine for that as well, but it depends on the context, of course. There's nothing inherently colloquial about the present perfect.

ReputationRep:
    Yey!! They wrote back to me - and I understand!! (I think :p: )

Just to check, they're saying I can pay with cash or credit card right?

"danke für deine Mail. Gar kein Problem! Den offenen Betrag kannst du ganz einfach bar oder mit Kreditkarte bei deiner Ankunft bezahlen."
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yey!! They wrote back to me - and I understand!! (I think :p: )

Just to check, they're saying I can pay with cash or credit card right?

"danke für deine Mail. Gar kein Problem! Den offenen Betrag kannst du ganz einfach bar oder mit Kreditkarte bei deiner Ankunft bezahlen."
    Just that.:yes:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.