Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which is the cheaper way to get internet access at uni? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which is the cheapest?
    USB Modem
    21.43%
    Internet cable
    78.57%

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering (as i'll be in a self catering accommodation which is a university partnership scheme as opposed to halls) which would be the cheapest way to gain internet access?
    • Pay for the internet lead that the university accommodation provide? £3.49 a week

• Buy a USB modem for the laptop which allows mobile access wherever you go?

ReputationRep:
    Depends how much the 'internet lead that the university accommodation provide' costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    Depends how much the 'internet lead that the university accommodation provide' costs.
    Forgot to add that bit, didn't I?

£3.49 a week internet

ReputationRep:
    I got mine free, thought everyone did
    As far as I know, you wont get better than £3.49 a week...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunLady)
    Forgot to add that bit, didn't I?

£3.49 a week internet
    Assuming you use a reasonable amount of internets, I'd be very surprised if you could get cheaper than that.

ReputationRep:
    you have to pay, i thought the cost came with your hall rent?

the cheaper way prob be the £3.49, them usb internet things are not that great, cost about £10 £15 a month for the cheaper one, and you get a limit of about 10gb a month, your may use more then that at uni

the cheapest way will be well using the internet in the library :p: or if you have PC labs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    the cheaper way prob be the £3.49, them usb internet things are not that great, cost about £10 £15 a month for the cheaper one, and you get a limit of about 10gb a month, your may use more then that at uni

the cheapest way will be well using the internet in the library :p: or if you have PC labs
    Me too. :confused:
    Well we need to buy any attachments to get a connection? ... I know nothing about computers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    Me too. :confused:
    Well we need to buy any attachments to get a connection? ... I know nothing about computers.
    you mean a Ethernet cable :p:

it depends on the uni, we got all that for free, i guess if the uni is its own isp then its free for them to use, if not then they have

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if i plug the ethernet cable into my own wireless router it will work?

ReputationRep:
    you mean a Ethernet cable :p:

it depends on the uni, we got all that for free, i guess if the uni is its own isp then its free for them to use, if not then they have
    A ... yeah. If you say so. :p: Are they expensive?/where do I get one from? I'm gonna post on the Sheffield University thing and see what the deal is.

ReputationRep:
    A ... yeah. If you say so. :p: Are they expensive?/where do I get one from? I'm gonna post on the Sheffield University thing and see what the deal is.
    if they told you thats what you mean, then that it :p:, you can pick up ones for next to nothing a few pound, i got a 50 meter one cost me about £8

(Original post by IceCold91)
    Does anyone know if i plug the ethernet cable into my own wireless router it will work?
    you may need to ask the uni about some get a bit funny about it

ReputationRep:
    if they told you thats what you mean, then that it :p:, you can pick up ones for next to nothing a few pound, i got a 50 meter one cost me about £8

you may need to ask the uni about some get a bit funny about it
    Well, apparently we get free internet access included in our rent at Sheffield.

Born lucky.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who's owned a 3G wireless internet key for 6 months (just broke my contract), I can say that my experience with it was quite crap. Not all zones are covered, and you'll get slow speeds in some places unless you're in a well populated area (not a great problem if you're in a city, but it can still be slow in some spots, and it's definitely much slower than a proper connection would be). Also, there are usually restrictions on how much you can download (even on 'unlimited' plans, they can cap your speed to something equivalent of 56K after a certain amount, lmao). There are also certain services which they can disallow (VOIP, P2P, etc). There's no question... go for the £3 a week regular connection. There's no equal to what it can provide and to how little it costs.

ReputationRep:
    Well, apparently we get free internet access included in our rent at Sheffield.

Born lucky.
    nice, i had the same at my uni :five:

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine was charged £15 at uni for an RJ45 (internet) cable...so I found a box of them in a skip at work, and made a small fortune selling them at £2 each...saves having to splash out when you have one anyway..

Come September, guess what?

ReputationRep:
    As I had said, I won't be in halls but I thought it strange myself that the internet is not included within the utility bill :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunLady)
    As I had said, I won't be in halls but I thought it strange myself that the internet is not included within the utility bill :confused:
    so its like private halls?
    its still cheaper and better to pay the £3 :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemadE)
    A friend of mine was charged £15 at uni for an RJ45 (internet) cable.
    Holy mother of God! It must've been manufactured by Jesus and blessed by Muhammed. That or someone's found a really great way to make money off unsuspecting students. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    Holy mother of God! It must've been manufactured by Jesus and blessed by Muhammed.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    what is the cheapest unlimited wireless provider in london please?

My uni has a limit for downloads and mobile broadband is made just to check emails...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.