Turn on thread page Beta

Which is the cheaper way to get internet access at uni? watch

• View Poll Results: Which is the cheapest?
    USB Modem
    21.43%
    Internet cable
    78.57%

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering (as i'll be in a self catering accommodation which is a university partnership scheme as opposed to halls) which would be the cheapest way to gain internet access?
    • Pay for the internet lead that the university accommodation provide? £3.49 a week

• Buy a USB modem for the laptop which allows mobile access wherever you go?

ReputationRep:
    Depends how much the 'internet lead that the university accommodation provide' costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    Depends how much the 'internet lead that the university accommodation provide' costs.
    Forgot to add that bit, didn't I?

£3.49 a week internet

ReputationRep:
    I got mine free, thought everyone did
    As far as I know, you wont get better than £3.49 a week...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunLady)
    Forgot to add that bit, didn't I?

£3.49 a week internet
    Assuming you use a reasonable amount of internets, I'd be very surprised if you could get cheaper than that.

ReputationRep:
    you have to pay, i thought the cost came with your hall rent?

the cheaper way prob be the £3.49, them usb internet things are not that great, cost about £10 £15 a month for the cheaper one, and you get a limit of about 10gb a month, your may use more then that at uni

the cheapest way will be well using the internet in the library :p: or if you have PC labs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    the cheaper way prob be the £3.49, them usb internet things are not that great, cost about £10 £15 a month for the cheaper one, and you get a limit of about 10gb a month, your may use more then that at uni

the cheapest way will be well using the internet in the library :p: or if you have PC labs
    Me too. :confused:
    Well we need to buy any attachments to get a connection? ... I know nothing about computers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    Me too. :confused:
    Well we need to buy any attachments to get a connection? ... I know nothing about computers.
    you mean a Ethernet cable :p:

it depends on the uni, we got all that for free, i guess if the uni is its own isp then its free for them to use, if not then they have

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if i plug the ethernet cable into my own wireless router it will work?

ReputationRep:
    you mean a Ethernet cable :p:

it depends on the uni, we got all that for free, i guess if the uni is its own isp then its free for them to use, if not then they have
    A ... yeah. If you say so. :p: Are they expensive?/where do I get one from? I'm gonna post on the Sheffield University thing and see what the deal is.

ReputationRep:
    A ... yeah. If you say so. :p: Are they expensive?/where do I get one from? I'm gonna post on the Sheffield University thing and see what the deal is.
    if they told you thats what you mean, then that it :p:, you can pick up ones for next to nothing a few pound, i got a 50 meter one cost me about £8

(Original post by IceCold91)
    Does anyone know if i plug the ethernet cable into my own wireless router it will work?
    you may need to ask the uni about some get a bit funny about it

ReputationRep:
    if they told you thats what you mean, then that it :p:, you can pick up ones for next to nothing a few pound, i got a 50 meter one cost me about £8

you may need to ask the uni about some get a bit funny about it
    Well, apparently we get free internet access included in our rent at Sheffield.

Born lucky.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who's owned a 3G wireless internet key for 6 months (just broke my contract), I can say that my experience with it was quite crap. Not all zones are covered, and you'll get slow speeds in some places unless you're in a well populated area (not a great problem if you're in a city, but it can still be slow in some spots, and it's definitely much slower than a proper connection would be). Also, there are usually restrictions on how much you can download (even on 'unlimited' plans, they can cap your speed to something equivalent of 56K after a certain amount, lmao). There are also certain services which they can disallow (VOIP, P2P, etc). There's no question... go for the £3 a week regular connection. There's no equal to what it can provide and to how little it costs.

ReputationRep:
    Well, apparently we get free internet access included in our rent at Sheffield.

Born lucky.
    nice, i had the same at my uni :five:

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine was charged £15 at uni for an RJ45 (internet) cable...so I found a box of them in a skip at work, and made a small fortune selling them at £2 each...saves having to splash out when you have one anyway..

Come September, guess what?

ReputationRep:
    As I had said, I won't be in halls but I thought it strange myself that the internet is not included within the utility bill :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunLady)
    As I had said, I won't be in halls but I thought it strange myself that the internet is not included within the utility bill :confused:
    so its like private halls?
    its still cheaper and better to pay the £3 :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemadE)
    A friend of mine was charged £15 at uni for an RJ45 (internet) cable.
    Holy mother of God! It must've been manufactured by Jesus and blessed by Muhammed. That or someone's found a really great way to make money off unsuspecting students. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    Holy mother of God! It must've been manufactured by Jesus and blessed by Muhammed.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    what is the cheapest unlimited wireless provider in london please?

My uni has a limit for downloads and mobile broadband is made just to check emails...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.