Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best UK bank for internationals Watch

Any advice on the best bank account for international students in London would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    RBS

Any particular account? Student? Basic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zfitter)
    Any particular account? Student? Basic?
    Well, if you're a student..

I'm not sure.

Well, buddy, perhaps the student account has certain fees or minimums that a basic account might not have. I have no idea whether it does or doesn't, but that's why I'm asking questions. Thanks for the pithy response, though. I'm sure you are going to be very successful at Deloitte.

ReputationRep:
    How about HSBC? I think it's the largest bank in Europe! Which university are u going to attend, Zfitter?

ReputationRep:
    Some banks like Barclays charge monthly fees so avoid those if you can. I think there are some who don't charge anything at all. You should go for those which have the largest interest free overdrafts (depending on your status). You should ask various banks since I'm not familiar with International Student Banking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samsoonie)
    How about HSBC? I think it's the largest bank in Europe! Which university are u going to attend, Zfitter?
    Santander is the largest in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econight)
    Santander is the largest in Europe.
    By number of branches then yes, by the size of the business then no. HSBC is still the largest bank (and company by some measures) in the world.

It doesn't make much difference which bank you use they will all be geared up to deal with someone from the USA. Barclays has the most ties to the US but i don't know if that will make it any better than RBS, HSBC, HBOS or Abbey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)
    By number of branches then yes, by the size of the business then no. HSBC is still the largest bank (and company by some measures) in the world.

It doesn't make much difference which bank you use they will all be geared up to deal with someone from the USA. Barclays has the most ties to the US but i don't know if that will make it any better than RBS, HSBC, HBOS or Abbey.
    Yeah Santander have the largest Market Capitalisation in Europe can't beat the mighty HSBC though on world strength.

OT: Most banks if not all are able to handle international transfers etc so you should focus on what benefits the banks deliever to students overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econight)
    Yeah Santander have the largest Market Capitalisation in Europe can't beat the mighty HSBC though on world strength.

OT: Most banks if not all are able to handle international transfers etc so you should focus on what benefits the banks deliever to students overall.
    It's not Santander or HSBC.

Natwest Ftw.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm probably going to go with RBS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    I think I'm probably going to go with RBS.
    £7 Billion debt write off first 6 months of this year...
    BUT
    £15million profit ftw

Somewhere I heard HSBC was the largest in the world, also, but who knows. I'm leaning towards HSBC, but I've had some recommendations for Lloyd's International Account. It sounds like most banks are pretty similar, since I haven't heard any rousing endorsements for any one in particular. RBS, Natwest, HSBC and Lloyds (among others, probably) all have student accounts that seem reasonable, though Lloyd's has by far the best offshore account. Thanks for the input.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musabjilani)
    I think it should be one that operates in our home country too as then it will be easier to transfer money. HSBC, Barclays, and RBS operate in Pakistan so I'll use one of them.
    that. HSBC is an international bank, so you 'll probably find plenty of brands in all countries.

ReputationRep:
    Well HSBC is a world's bank...it is truly international and it is free of charge when you take money out of the ATM. But is HSBC in the UK as widespread as RBS or Natwest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zfitter)
    Well, buddy, perhaps the student account has certain fees or minimums that a basic account might not have. I have no idea whether it does or doesn't, but that's why I'm asking questions. Thanks for the pithy response, though. I'm sure you are going to be very successful at Deloitte.
    Hehe, I laughed. Sorry about that, I was in a bad mood. Still I think you'd be better going for the student account though; it's tailored to students, so you get a sizeable overdraft if you need one, and a few freebees, like a 5-year railcard if you're with Natwest.

Don't worry about it. Thanks for the info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asiangcfan)
    Well HSBC is a world's bank...it is truly international and it is free of charge when you take money out of the ATM. But is HSBC in the UK as widespread as RBS or Natwest?
    Out of curiosity, being that I am not from the UK, what do the initials stand for so that I can search for the banks?

I also have the same question, as whether which banks are widespread around the UK, especially in Scotland.
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I am an international student in the UK, I used Natwest but didn't like their service so I switched to Barclays. Even though I pay a monthly fee 3 quid the service is excellent and the debit card is a visa so its much better than a solo that you get from Natwest

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.