Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did you get a chequebook?

(Original post by naty_forty)
    Out of curiosity, being that I am not from the UK, what do the initials stand for so that I can search for the banks?

I also have the same question, as whether which banks are widespread around the UK, especially in Scotland.
    :yes:
    HSBC goes by HSBC, but I believe it stands for Hong Kong Shanghai Bank Corp. RBS is Royal Bank of Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get Natwest - you don't get a chequebook, and as a student you may need cheques for things like student club fees.

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Natwest and I got a chequebook... might have changed since I joined them though (August last year).

ReputationRep:
    Internationals don't get a chequebook, or at least they didn't until last year when I last 'chequed'

ReputationRep:
    This is a very valid question, I'm pulling my hair out trying to find a bank that doesn't have ridiculous requirements.. This is what I've found so far, tell me if I'm wrong:

RBS - Doesn't have an "International Student" account. Only International account I found had a requirement of either £75'000 monthly salary or £25'000 deposit.. INSANE.

Natwest - £7/month, must have previous "Step account"(?), includes 5 year Railcard.

Barclays - £5/month, £1000 deposit, no railcard.

HSBC - £6/month, no deposit, no railcard

These are the banks I've looked at at least, and from my deductions it would seem Barclays or HSBC are the best. After what I've heard HSBC are also pretty hassle-free which is always a good thing, can't quite understand why UK banks make it so damn hard to start a bank account :/... Plus, HSBC have branches all over the world so you can start an account before even moving to the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelien)
    This is a very valid question, I'm pulling my hair out trying to find a bank that doesn't have ridiculous requirements.. This is what I've found so far, tell me if I'm wrong:

RBS - Doesn't have an "International Student" account. Only International account I found had a requirement of either £75'000 monthly salary or £25'000 deposit.. INSANE.

Natwest - £7/month, must have previous "Step account"(?), includes 5 year Railcard.

Barclays - £5/month, £1000 deposit, no railcard.

HSBC - £6/month, no deposit, no railcard

These are the banks I've looked at at least, and from my deductions it would seem Barclays or HSBC are the best. After what I've heard HSBC are also pretty hassle-free which is always a good thing, can't quite understand why UK banks make it so damn hard to start a bank account :/... Plus, HSBC have branches all over the world so you can start an account before even moving to the UK.
    Lots of my UK friends have HSBC and are pretty happy I think. When I was first due to move over I walked into my local Nordea branch in Sweden and asked them if they had any banks they collaborated with or anything like that but they couldn't advice me at all unfortunately. As I moved over to work, not study, I couldn't open a student account anyway so Procter & Gamble set me up with an account with Natwest, and I have been very pleased with their services. Either way I sort of never had to sort any of the "international" bits as P&G did it all for me - but I would probably go for HSBC if I had to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InTomsWonderland)
    Lots of my UK friends have HSBC and are pretty happy I think. When I was first due to move over I walked into my local Nordea branch in Sweden and asked them if they had any banks they collaborated with or anything like that but they couldn't advice me at all unfortunately. As I moved over to work, not study, I couldn't open a student account anyway so Procter & Gamble set me up with an account with Natwest, and I have been very pleased with their services. Either way I sort of never had to sort any of the "international" bits as P&G did it all for me - but I would probably go for HSBC if I had to.
    Well, next Monday I'm going to go to the HSBC branch in Stockholm and let them tell me what they offer.. I might as well go to the RBS branch to hear them out and see if I've missed anything on their website. But yeah, it's leaning towards HSBC, kind of annoying to pay £72 a year for a bank account though :/.

ReputationRep:
    Well, next Monday I'm going to go to the HSBC branch in Stockholm and let them tell me what they offer.. I might as well go to the RBS branch to hear them out and see if I've missed anything on their website. But yeah, it's leaning towards HSBC, kind of annoying to pay £72 a year for a bank account though :/.
    It will be worth it in the end though. You'll need it for so many things and even though some things can be dealt with through your current, Swedish account the costs involved will add up and you have earned that yearly fee back pretty quickly.

ReputationRep:
    It will be worth it in the end though. You'll need it for so many things and even though some things can be dealt with through your current, Swedish account the costs involved will add up and you have earned that yearly fee back pretty quickly.
    Yeah, I think you're right.. It's kind of nice for us in Sweden though with the ICA bank of no cost withdrawals all over the world. But I think in the end, with the exchange rate and other payments like rents, etc.. It would be easier with a proper British account.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think you're right.. It's kind of nice for us in Sweden though with the ICA bank of no cost withdrawals all over the world. But I think in the end, with the exchange rate and other payments like rents, etc.. It would be easier with a proper British account.
    Yeah, apart from the fact that I had to pay an extra £4 every time I used my card in a cash point (my Swedish Nordea issued VISA) I simply had to get a UK bank account as P&G UK were unable to transfer my pay into an international bank account at all and I can imagine other employers being the same.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, apart from the fact that I had to pay an extra £4 every time I used my card in a cash point (my Swedish Nordea issued VISA) I simply had to get a UK bank account as P&G UK were unable to transfer my pay into an international bank account at all and I can imagine other employers being the same.
    I know what you mean.. I think the main reason I'm getting a UK bank account is for Direct Debit and easy online payment of rents and stuff like that. Don't know when I'll get a job there yet but when I do it's definitely a must to have a bank account..

ReputationRep:
    There aren't fun extras but the basic accout with Lloyds is a service charge FREE account and you qualify for it if you are in the UK for a year. It acts as a Spending account, and you can set up an online savings account to link with it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international students and have my account with lloyds for almost a year and never had any poblems

it's free and you get a current account alongside a savings account with a visa debit card for your current account. with no minimum amount of money that should be in your account and you could open your account with only 2£ :p:

about natwest the bad thing about them from my experience is that they wanted students to ONLY use the branch allocated for students which was small and with lesser opening hours .. and didn't even let me open the account from their main branch and asked me to go to the other!!!!! that's why i didn't open a natwest account and went to lloyds

Have you run into any troubles not having a chequebook or not opening it until you arrived in the UK, or do you recommend trying to open an account before you leave your home country?

HSBC just bumped their monthly fee to 8 GBP/month for the "Passport" account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zfitter)
    HSBC just bumped their monthly fee to 8 GBP/month for the "Passport" account.
    Great :mad:
    I have an account with them, and I think it's pretty stupid to have to pay such ridiculous fees for a bank account.

I guess I'll move to Lloyds. Do I really need to be 1 year in the UK to open the account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zfitter)
    Have you run into any troubles not having a chequebook or not opening it until you arrived in the UK, or do you recommend trying to open an account before you leave your home country?
    during the whole year i spent here i never needed to write a cheque .. and couldn't think of any situation where you have to!!

if i could have opened an british account from my home country then i would definitely do ... but if you cant then as long as you have have a credit or debit card from your home bank and some cash then you would be fine

Thanks alfahad. That's good to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfahad)
    I'm an international students and have my account with lloyds for almost a year and never had any poblems

it's free and you get a current account alongside a savings account with a visa debit card for your current account. with no minimum amount of money that should be in your account and you could open your account with only 2£ :p:

about natwest the bad thing about them from my experience is that they wanted students to ONLY use the branch allocated for students which was small and with lesser opening hours .. and didn't even let me open the account from their main branch and asked me to go to the other!!!!! that's why i didn't open a natwest account and went to lloyds
    Specifically, what type of account do you have? The Student account seem to have the same requirement as most (except HSBC) banks have of minimum 3 years permanent residence in the UK.. The International account have a monthly fee of £7,50.. Which one did you get?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.