Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigermoth99)
    Most ATM's in the UK are free. There are privately owned ATM's in places like convenience stores and outside fast food chains which charge (around £2.50 per withdrawal). Avoid these.
    Are ATMs in the UK free regardless of which bank your account is with though? Eg. In Canada, you actually have to withdraw from your own bank's ATM or you will be charged. Is it the same in the UK? Or is it free to withdraw no matter what bank your account is with?

And yes, we also have those sketchy convenience store ATMs. They always charge you...I hate them :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had any experience declaring money at the airport? is this a big deal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zfitter)
    I've decided on either a free basic bank account at HSBC/Lloyds/Barclays or the ibank student account at Barclays (5 GBP/month) if I have trouble opening a basic account.
    I'm currently thinking the same thing - basic account, since its free!!! I don't want to have to pay ridiculous £8 charge every month just to have an account. However, is it possible to get a credit card with these kind of accounts?

Do I even need to have a UK credit card? I mean I could use my Canadian one all year, but the problem is I'll be getting my monthly fee in CAD$ so I'll lose money if exchange rates shoot up.

ReputationRep:
    how hard it is to open a bank account for internationals? i heard its a bit complicated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zfitter)
    Somewhere I heard HSBC was the largest in the world, also, but who knows. I'm leaning towards HSBC, but I've had some recommendations for Lloyd's International Account. It sounds like most banks are pretty similar, since I haven't heard any rousing endorsements for any one in particular. RBS, Natwest, HSBC and Lloyds (among others, probably) all have student accounts that seem reasonable, though Lloyd's has by far the best offshore account. Thanks for the input.
    if you are not from the UK you cannot open all student bank accounts! I have been looking into it for ages as well and most students account have requirements as ''has lived in the UK for a minimum of 3 years prior to commencing higher education studies.'' Most international student accounts have fees (TSB: £7.50/month, HSBC: £8.00/month, NatWest: £6.95/month)..

What makes tsb better you think?

ReputationRep:
    sorry, but whats a railcard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patpat)
    sorry, but whats a railcard?
    asumming you mean the ''16-25 Railcard,'' it's a card you can buy that gives you a 1/3 discount on rail fares throughout Great Britain for a whole year.

http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/buy-16-25-railcard

pretty good! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    if you are not from the UK you cannot open all student bank accounts! I have been looking into it for ages as well and most students account have requirements as ''has lived in the UK for a minimum of 3 years prior to commencing higher education studies.'' Most international student accounts have fees (TSB: £7.50/month, HSBC: £8.00/month, NatWest: £6.95/month)..

What makes tsb better you think?
    Don't trust what the websites say!

I opened a Royalty Students Account on RBS with all the bells and whistles that any UK student get and I've been living in the UK for... 2 weeks!

The only thing you need is the proof of address from the University, your acceptance letter from the uni and your passport. Just ask for a students account on any of the University branches (if I remember correctly there are Uni branches for Lloyds, Barclays, RBS, Halifax and HSBC) and they will help you with all you need.

Several friends of mine (Overseas and EU) opened Student accounts and got railcards and everything from their different banks. Just choose a bank based on whatever your taste is and go to their branch office and open an account.

It's easy, straightforward and with all the benefits of a UK citizen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelien)

I opened a Royalty Students Account on RBS with all the bells and whistles that any UK student get and I've been living in the UK for... 2 weeks!

The only thing you need is the proof of address from the University, your acceptance letter from the uni and your passport. Just ask for a students account on any of the University branches (if I remember correctly there are Uni branches for Lloyds, Barclays, RBS, Halifax and HSBC) and they will help you with all you need.

Several friends of mine (Overseas and EU) opened Student accounts and got railcards and everything from their different banks. Just choose a bank based on whatever your taste is and go to their branch office and open an account.

Well are you sure these overseas and EU friends of you had a normal UK students account because you get loads of stuff with international student accounts as well for example with natwest you also get a railcard and an ISIC and other stuff with their international account..

thanks for the advice anyway! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Well are you sure these overseas and EU friends of you had a normal UK students account because you get loads of stuff with international student accounts as well for example with natwest you also get a railcard and an ISIC and other stuff with their international account..

Well, not 100% sure, no, but I know at least I have a regular students account and a friend of mine who is from China got one too. We both have in RBS..

But like I said, I still think the best way to do this is to go to the bank and ask them..

ReputationRep:

I'm an international student, and I know I have the regular student account with RBS. Not a special international account.

ReputationRep:
    well all of you who have a normal account instead of international are at RBS lol if there is one bank I don't want it's the RBS (no offence). I'd go to either HSBC, TSB or natwest.

ReputationRep:

So you lied on your form or something? I mean, when you open a student account they ask you (at least over the Internet) if you have been living in the UK for more than 3 years, plus they ask for your home and term-time address. What did you say your home address was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeDaX)
    So you lied on your form or something? I mean, when you open a student account they ask you (at least over the Internet) if you have been living in the UK for more than 3 years, plus they ask for your home and term-time address. What did you say your home address was?

I did the same thing at an RBS branch and put my home address as my Canadian one. Straightforward with no hassel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeDaX)
    You can't apply online unless you've lived in the UK for more than 3 years, but if you go in person to a branch, you can get the student account as an international student.

ReputationRep:
    03 February, 2011.

I am an international Asian student staying at UK for past 1.5 years. Trust me, AVOID Natwest Bank. I have an account with Natwest Durham from the time I arrived till few weeks back. Reasons to avoid them are many:

- In case of emergency, or schengen visa or for any purpose, you would require a statement as proof of bank balance, and Natwest wont give it you over the counter. You will have to order it,then takes 10 working days which is around 2-3 weeks. So by the time it arrives, it would have been too late or outdated statement..and if you goto bank to enquire about its status,and if you an Asian, you will be treated as a beggar or a pest. Especially Natwest at Durham!

- Natwest charge quite alot £20+ for International transfers into you account. So, if you are in emergency, and ask you parents/friends abroad to sent you some cash..Natwest takes a considerable percent of that money. If you enquire, they will give you a million charge's name while your bank at home is sure there was none!

- Require any address proof, bank account proof? Wait for 16 days..thats like half a month. ANd if still it doesnt arrive, wait on customer service phone lines paying huge money every second as call charges.

- They gave me a worst banking experience. My visa was going to expire in a month's time, and they made me wait for 16 days ..meanwhile the statement was too old to submit..then they made me hang on calls..when i went to my account allocated branch at Durham, UK, Natwest treated me as if I was there for their mercy and declined to give me any kind of letter even to state simply that I hold an account with them! While my friends just walked-in at TSB Lloyd's bank and others,those banks gave all the documents required with cover letters and all of them could submit the application next day itself..meanwhile me still waiting for weeks behind it...

SO in short, avoid Natwest!

Cheers,
    all the best for your stay at UK!
    -Briju KB!

ReputationRep:
    03 February, 2011.

I am an international Asian student staying at UK for past 1.5 years. Trust me, AVOID Natwest Bank. I have an account with Natwest Durham from the time I arrived till few weeks back. Reasons to avoid them are many:

- In case of emergency, or schengen visa or for any purpose, you would require a statement as proof of bank balance, and Natwest wont give it you over the counter. You will have to order it,then takes 10 working days which is around 2-3 weeks. So by the time it arrives, it would have been too late or outdated statement..and if you goto bank to enquire about its status,and if you an Asian, you will be treated as a beggar or a pest. Especially Natwest at Durham!

- Natwest charge quite alot £20+ for International transfers into you account. So, if you are in emergency, and ask you parents/friends abroad to sent you some cash..Natwest takes a considerable percent of that money. If you enquire, they will give you a million charge's name while your bank at home is sure there was none!

- Require any address proof, bank account proof? Wait for 16 days..thats like half a month. ANd if still it doesnt arrive, wait on customer service phone lines paying huge money every second as call charges.

- They gave me a worst banking experience. My visa was going to expire in a month's time, and they made me wait for 16 days ..meanwhile the statement was too old to submit..then they made me hang on calls..when i went to my account allocated branch at Durham, UK, Natwest treated me as if I was there for their mercy and declined to give me any kind of letter even to state simply that I hold an account with them! While my friends just walked-in at TSB Lloyd's bank and others,those banks gave all the documents required with cover letters and all of them could submit the application next day itself..meanwhile me still waiting for weeks behind it...

SO in short, avoid Natwest!

Cheers,
    all the best for your stay at UK!
    -Briju KB!

ReputationRep:
    Hey team All banks have serios charged they syphone funds every time you buy currency IE Euroes to GBP. All the banks in the UK are the same essentially what i would Suggest is that as well as a bank account you creat an account with an international payments company.

They buil their business about being cheeper than banks and for our transfers they are significantly!

I use FTT Currency and nation wide but thats just personel preference.

ReputationRep:
    It seems like all that requirements stuff they put on their websites are mostly mumbo-jumbo... This is why I'm simply going to go to the banks when I'm in Edinburgh and ask them personally instead..

May I ask you Rainfaery, what documents were the "necessary" ones? Would be nice to have them ready before hand.

Also, how have RBS treated you so far? I've heard from several directions that they have very bad customer service and are generally a bank to avoid, do you reccon?

(Original post by Rainfaery)
    Well, I phoned HSBC and I know they do charge you. So you can skip them.

To open an account as an international, you need your passport, your unconditional offer letter from the university (I also took my one from UCAS just in case), your bank letter of introduction, and proof that your tuition fees are being paid somehow.

For me, the people at RBS were extremely helpful both times I have been into the bank thus far. They were extremely helpful with setting up my account.

I only went in to open my account last Tuesday, and I already have my debit card and my cheque book and my deposit book. So, I would recommend them.

As an international student should I wait until I get to the university to open a bank account? And when you say you need a passport to open the account, do you know whether an EU national ID card would work as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel13js)
    As an international student should I wait until I get to the university to open a bank account? And when you say you need a passport to open the account, do you know whether an EU national ID card would work as well?
    I'm not really sure, to be honest. You should probably ring up the bank in question to see. And yes, you probably should wait. What is the point in having a bank account in the UK when you're not using it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.