Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going on holiday - maintain muscle Watch

ReputationRep:
    Evening, I am going on holiday soon for about 2 weeks. I have spent the last 8ish weeks in the gym pumping iron and have witnessed some considerable muscle gain. Obviously when I go on holiday I won't have a gym, any ideas on how to maintain the muscle I have built thus far? I was thinking swimming, sit ups, press ups, bench dips....any more you can think of? Any other advice would be appreciated...

ReputationRep:
    Anything worth keeping wont go in 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_alerts)
    Anything worth keeping wont go in 2 weeks.
    You sure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    You sure?
    Well for me personally, yeh. Some people even benefit from the rest for recovery.

You can do push ups or whatever but I doubt it'll do much.

ReputationRep:
    Chinups, dips and glute ham raises should do most of your body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Evening, I am going on holiday soon for about 2 weeks. I have spent the last 8ish weeks in the gym pumping iron and have witnessed some considerable muscle gain. Obviously when I go on holiday I won't have a gym, any ideas on how to maintain the muscle I have built thus far? I was thinking swimming, sit ups, press ups, bench dips....any more you can think of? Any other advice would be appreciated...
    most of us actually overwork our muscles when training. so if anything they will get better time to recover. your main problem over the holiday will be fat and especially calories from drinking. however doin some sit ups and press ups, even use ure luggage there was sumit in menshealth showin jst basic exercises using the bags! end of the day its ure diet that will hit u bad!

ReputationRep:
    Agree with LALA here, your diet is thing you need to concentrate on. Keep up your protien etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    I recently had a similar situation...had been in America for three weeks and really needed to maintain fitness levels for trials back home...so just did exactly what you are planning to do...press ups, sit-ups, the plank, running, swimming etc

If I can recall, muscle is lost at a ratio of like 3:1 or something. So if you spend 3 months building muscle then this can be lost in a month without any exercise. I shouldn't worry too much dude...as long as you keep on working out then it'll be fine. If anything it'll enthuse you to come back and do double when you get home!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.