Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know the procedure about applying for mitigating circumstances???
    what kind of things do universities consider?
    and if you pass the exam and have also made a mitigating claim then does that affect the fact that you have passed???
    please help

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you check out your Universities website, no doubt it'll say on there. Maybe e-mail your tutor?

They normally consider things like illness and bereavement etc.

Good luck sorting it :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z12345)
    does anyone know the procedure about applying for mitigating circumstances???
    what kind of things do universities consider?
    and if you pass the exam and have also made a mitigating claim then does that affect the fact that you have passed???
    please help
    you have to check your university guidelines for that, it varies from university to university. At my undergrad uni, during my time there, they introduced the guideline that if you apply for mitigation circumstances and it gets accepted, then your result will be ignored completely and you have to sit the exam again. You also had to make the claim within three working days.

ReputationRep:
    Usually (at least at my university) they won't consider mitigating circumstances if you get a pass because well, you've passed.
    I think it is slightly unfair as I have (in the past) got results much lower to those I would have if there had not been mitigating circumstances but still passed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discombobulation)
    Usually (at least at my university) they won't consider mitigating circumstances if you get a pass because well, you've passed.
    I think it is slightly unfair as I have (in the past) got results much lower to those I would have if there had not been mitigating circumstances but still passed.
    That's how it used to be at my undergraduate uni, they changed it because they got far too many mitigation claims, many of which were just bogus in case the student failed, i.e. just insurance.

Naturally, mitigation claims dropped drastically once the new guidelines were in place.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.