Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm Yr 12 going into Yr 13.

Ok, so I want to go into this course but I heard that it is a very hard and difficult entrance. Im thinking of applying to these unis:

Leeds
    Warwick
    LSE

City
    and one more

Are these Unis good for Actuarial?

I wanted to do Maths and Physics at first at UCL, but now I want to do actuarial. BUt I still wanted to go UCL. I checked the UCas site, but it didnt list UCl which sucks >.<

Anyways, anyone here who has been through this course can give me an idea what it is like? And what I need to prepare beforehand. Im pretty sure the course of Actuarial consists of major Statistical maths work studying the probabilities of certain events right?

Im taking S1 next year. Do I need S2 as well? Also, any good books to read or events i can go to?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Btw my GCSE grades were 7A* 3As B C, C in economics...oops lol.

And my AS grades coming out on the 20th Im expecting 5 As.

Thanks!

PS. And Personal Statment is piss hard T__T

ReputationRep:
    No help?

Ok, I got another question, what is the difference between Actuarial Studies, Actuarial Science, and Actuarial Mathematics?

Thanks, I can't find it anywhere!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How sure are you about becoming an actuary? Many people enter actuarial work without a degree in actuarial science; often they have degrees in quantitative disciplines such as mathematics, economics, physics, and so on.

As for the universities, it really doesn't matter, but the ones you've listed (excluding Leeds and UCL) are in the top five for sending people into actuarial work. All this means is that there's an active interest within those universities to go into actuarial work, but providing you have a quantitative degree and are determined to become an actuary, you'll be fine irrespective of university.

As for your A-Level Maths modules... it really doesn't matter. Everything in the applied modules you'll be taught from scratch at university, and once you become a trainee actuary, you'll have to study and learn the necessary content. So basically by the time you've finished university and are a trainee actuary, it won't matter at all whether you did S2 or not at A-Level.

As for what actuarial work covers... it's a pretty varied discipline but one which tends to focus on insurance work. You'll cover economics, statistical theory, financial mathematics, accounting, finance, demography, and so on. There is a lot of information in regards to actuarial careers on the Institute of Actuaries website.

As for your very final question, there is little difference, it's simply the name given to the course by a specific university. What's more important is the actual course content, and if you are 100% certain about becoming an actuary, the amount of exemptions attained by said course.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is better than Actuarial studies I (unless its city or lse)

ReputationRep:
    Oh Thanks for the help guys esp. ACS

OK here's my update:

Now I heard from a friend that since UCL doesnt do Actuarial, I can apply to do Statistics and Economics at UCL as one of my 2 slots left (I decided to drop City since people say its bad)

How sure am I about becoming an Actuary? Well, I dunno, I really like maths but dont really know what to go into, but I think Maths and Actuarial is good for me. You mention having physics degree you can go in to becoming an Actuary....how much of it is actually physics? I have to drop a subject (AS - A2) in a few months and I am torn between dropping Computing or Physics. Im definitely keeping Maths+Further Maths...

I heard that computing plays a big part in Actuarial Studies? And now Physics is important as well? Agh! lol

Also, I got a C in Economics at GCSE, you think that will affect my chances of getting into this course? I mean, Im not very good at Economics, but Im willing to learn.

@ ProsepctiveEconomist

Do you mean Maths just as in Pure Maths, or Actuarial Mathematics

Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 2710)
    Now I heard from a friend that since UCL doesnt do Actuarial, I can apply to do Statistics and Economics at UCL as one of my 2 slots left (I decided to drop City since people say its bad)
    Yes, you could apply for Economics and Statistics at UCL; I mean, how desperate are you on attending UCL?
    As for City... their Actuarial Science course is very good and widely respected. They have sent more than three times the amount of people into actuarial work since 2005 than UCL. Additionally, their Actuarial Science course is one of the few in England to allow full exemption from professional examinations once you've graduated.

(Original post by 2710)
    You mention having physics degree you can go in to becoming an Actuary....how much of it is actually physics? I have to drop a subject (AS - A2) in a few months and I am torn between dropping Computing or Physics. Im definitely keeping Maths+Further Maths...
    I heard that computing plays a big part in Actuarial Studies? And now Physics is important as well? Agh! lol
    None of it is really physics. In fact, most people who become actuaries have actually done mathematics at university. The most important thing, for employers, is that you're the right candidate and that you have a quantitative degree.

So it's not the case that physics plays an important part of actuarial science, rather that having a BSc Physics gives you a good grounding in quantitative material which allows you to approach and succeed in the professional actuarial exams.

As for your A-Level... once you've finished university and are a trainee, again, it won't matter. Choose whichever you feel is better for you and you'll do best in. Obviously, however, you'll need A-Level Physics if you want to study physics at university.

(Original post by 2710)
    Also, I got a C in Economics at GCSE, you think that will affect my chances of getting into this course? I mean, Im not very good at Economics, but Im willing to learn.
    Nope. Your GCSEs don't play a huge role in getting you into university. Certain universities do take them into account for specific degrees, but these are few and far between, so I really wouldn't worry.

(Original post by 2710)
    Do you mean Maths just as in Pure Maths, or Actuarial Mathematics
    I know this wasn't aimed at me, but nonetheless: double the amount of actuarial trainees studied mathematics at university compared with actuarial science. As I've said though... just do a quantitative degree, and you'll be fine.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.