Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you have shares in any company? How much or how many? Do yo follow the stock market even though you don't have shares?

I'm thinking about buying shares. I'm the saver type and interest rates are really poor at the moment. Thing is though, I've never purchased any before and I'm risk-averse as well. I've been practicing on share.com where you have £15,000 fake money to mess about with. I gave up playing with it and have just been watching the shares move since.

Even though we're in a recession, what is with the surge in most shares since March? I think they've risen too much and too fast and I'm expecting another big fall in prices by December 2009.

What shares would you recommend / any tips?

Shares I've been tracking:
    Astrazeneca, BT, Centrica, GlaxoSmithKline, Lloyds Banking, Royal Bank of Scotland, Tesco

I regret not buying shares when RBS were at close to 10p, although I was working for them then and things were so negative inside the bank which put me off.

My dad invests in shares too, but I always argue and go opposite with my dad's views. He still thinks HSBC shares will rise even more.

ReputationRep:
    Berkshire Hathaway shares maybe?

just kidding.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    how much 'effort' do you put in when you buy shares (and sell I take it).

how reliable is your brokerage? do you trade at all?

how much research are you prepared to do on a company - and on tech analysis?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    wish i had some money so I could have bought barclays shares at 90p

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm I bought shedloads of Citi at 5$.... worth 3ish now. but considering they were once worth 60ish and will have to rise to at least 10 or 20 within the next few years im not too worried.

ReputationRep:
    This morning I bought shares in RBS.
    Bought 3000 shares at 45p, considering they started the day around 53.5p this is fairly low. Mostly due to their Q2 announcments today.
    I'm going long on this one hoping in one year they'll hit the pound mark again... if they do i'll make a £1650 profit.
    Its all a risky game though.

Wish I'd have been wise when Barclays were at their low... if id have bought the same value (£1000) when they were in the 60p's then now id be £4800+ up! Win some, you loose some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn_the_page_day_by_day)
    This morning I bought shares in RBS.
    Bought 3000 shares at 45p, considering they started the day around 53.5p this is fairly low. Mostly due to their Q2 announcments today.
    I'm going long on this one hoping in one year they'll hit the pound mark again... if they do i'll make a £1650 profit.
    Its all a risky game though.

I bought into RBS early this year...when they were 11p

I had a lot of money saved up and figured I'd just spend it on the piss anyway so bought in, big risk as you know but it seems to have paid off. Also bought into a few mining companies that are on the up.

The only advice I have is, only spend what your willing to lose.

I should be able to wipe clean a fair chunk of Uni debt in a couple years time :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EGjeff)
    I bought into RBS early this year...when they were 11p

I had a lot of money saved up and figured I'd just spend it on the piss anyway so bought in, big risk as you know but it seems to have paid off. Also bought into a few mining companies that are on the up.

The only advice I have is, only spend what your willing to lose.

I should be able to wipe clean a fair chunk of Uni debt in a couple years time :cool:
    I envy you haha, if i'd have bought at that i'd be selling now probably. Obviously depends how much you bought tho.

I still think in a year they'll be around the £1 level. But dont hold me to that :P

ReputationRep:
    I put in £750 at the time.

Many times I've been tempted to sell but I guess I'm a greedy bugger haha, I want to wait out for the £1 like you :P

ReputationRep:
    BT, Barclays, RBS, Tesco, and RT Group 'Railtrack' (in "voluntary" (haha...) liquidation).

I inherited or adopted all of them. RBS and Railtrack haven't been so great...

ReputationRep:
    What does everyone think about buying lots of shares in RBS now and keeping them for the long run (the should be returned to profitability/privatised with 4/5 years)? Surely they can only go up from here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roberto_Ferrari)
    What does everyone think about buying lots of shares in RBS now and keeping them for the long run (the should be returned to profitability/privatised with 4/5 years)? Surely they can only go up from here?
    I'm clinging on to mine, which I got a few years ago, in the hope they will eventually go back up to where they were. But I have no intention of buying more.

If you'd bought them a few months ago when they were 15p you'd be sitting on a tidy profit now.

ReputationRep:
    Right now, 40p or over - I'm less likely to buy RBS shares. I guess it's due to my risk averse nature.

On the other side, I guess the banks are now finally back to making more of a profit by lending to less people because interest rates are at 0.5% and they're all still lending at similar figures pre credit crunch. It's not the number of people that money is loaned out to anymore - they can be as cautious as they want - which is why the government scheme to get banks lending more isn't working.

I guess also that the £50billion extra recently pumped is another way for Gordon Brown and Labour to gain popularity come the next election when things have improved "falsely", so banks will get better before the conservatives are in.

Safe shares I think are Astrazeneca and GlaxoSmithKline - big brands with big balance sheets and swine flu scare still around. Probably won't make much profit though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really annoyed at my dad. When RBS was at 10p, we already had some shares in them. They offered the oppurtunity of buying their shares at a lower rate than the public rate, which I told my dad to buy as many as possible of. He didn't, and within a week they were up to 20p, and now they're here. -.-

ReputationRep:
    Iv invested £1005 into TW., £2600 into ACTA and £3800 into JJB!!! These are low right now and the companies are expected to do very well soon!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm really annoyed at my dad. When RBS was at 10p, we already had some shares in them. They offered the oppurtunity of buying their shares at a lower rate than the public rate, which I told my dad to buy as many as possible of. He didn't, and within a week they were up to 20p, and now they're here. -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madlib)
    Iv invested £1005 into TW., £2600 into ACTA and £3800 into JJB!!! These are low right now and the companies are expected to do very well soon!!
    which website do you use

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roberto_Ferrari)
    Hopefully yes, although they're unlikely to break the 70p for a good few years I think. Mine is a long term investment, 5-8 years so by then I'd be hoping they're around £3-4 again meaning I'll have a 640-850% profit. Better than any interest account I could put my cash into.

I'm also planning to buy Lloyds shares if they slump again this week which is likely. Looking for anything around 95p with those and a 3 year investment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn_the_page_day_by_day)
    Hopefully yes, although they're unlikely to break the 70p for a good few years I think. Mine is a long term investment, 5-8 years so by then I'd be hoping they're around £3-4 again meaning I'll have a 640-850% profit. Better than any interest account I could put my cash into.

I'm also planning to buy Lloyds shares if they slump again this week which is likely. Looking for anything around 95p with those and a 3 year investment.

So basically you're betting they won't need further cash injections?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So basically you're betting they won't need further cash injections?
    Basically yes.
    I personally dont think they will ever be nationalised, so it's simply a case of time, how long is anybodies guess. I wont miss the money i've invested and thats the important thing when buying shares is that you must be prepared to either loose everything or wait a very long time.

Yes they're still loosing money, I think by Q4 figures they will be in profit by something.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 1, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.