Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone had any info about whether or not we are actually allowed laptops on IOT. It says in the joining instructions that you do not need them as there are stations with internet access but kinda wanted my own bit of kit...

Anyone know if it's a definite no go...?

Mikerlife (IOT 19)

ReputationRep:
    It's not a no go, if you want it, take it. But it's one more thing to get broken/damaged/lost.

Definitely no need for it in term1.

Even if you did want to go do work on it during term3, you wouldn't be able to connect it to a printer, so it will be pretty pointless.

Basically ask yourself why you want it there and if it's going to be of any real use.

ReputationRep:
    Some friend of mine have taken them purely for their own use, to go on the internet and that in what little free time they have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jon01)
    Some friend of mine have taken them purely for their own use, to go on the internet and that in what little free time they have.
    Do your friends find it worth it? Do they end up using it a lot? Cos I was thinking of taking mine (and sticking it in my car-drobe) in case I want it.
    Then again, most things I would want it for I can do on my mobile. Also, it's so slow that it'll probably spend most of my free time booting up kwalitee...

ReputationRep:
    You can quite easily survive IOT without a laptop as the rooms, certainly in No. 1 Mess and CHOM all had computers linked to the intranet and internet. Obviously being a RAF link to the internet certain websites are blocked (i think web-based mail was) but you can access your college internet account.

On my course, people had their laptops mainly for music, and that was few and far between. I think that they were a little more prevalent in term 3 with a little more free time!

ReputationRep:
    Yea, on consideration I don't think I'm going to take mine. I'm a bit prone to overpacking and I don't think I'll do anything with it whilst there.

ReputationRep:
    I think I may just stick mine in the car-drobe. But then again, I dont think i'll have much time to use it! Ipod for music me thinks!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd take mine, purely for use as music / movie player.

I think it's down to individuals. What they feel they'd use it for, and whether it would then be worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    If you keep in touch with friends via facebook/hotmail etc then you might want to take it. I used to get a signal in number one mess with a t-mobile 3G dongle hanging out the window on a long usb cable.

You won't get much time for going online though

ReputationRep:
    I took mine from the start and used it daily. I reckon more people had them than not by the end of the first term. After the first few weeks, you'll be surprised that you actually do have a bit of free time in the evenings.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.