Turn on thread page Beta

Confidence in singing performance- not good D: watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'd pretty much call singing my main instrument, I absolutely love it and I know that I'm probably better at it than anything else I do, but when it comes to actually utilising it and performing I feel kinda held back :/ I get seriously nervy about doing it infront of other people, to the point where I nearly couldn't finish my grade 8 exam because nerves were affecting my voice so bad. I'd love to do stuff like musicals or even just school concerts but seriously, I don't see myself getting up there on my own and being able to sing well- and the thought of it going wrong because of nerves is awful enough. Its only when I'm on my own, I've sung before in trios/quartets.

I know I've gotta sort it out even just because my practical assessment for AS music will be live infront of an assessor and I don't want the same thing to happen as did in my singing exam. So I was wondering does anybody have any tips or advice to get past what is basically stage fright? I figured this was probably the best place to post it.. :o:

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, it comes down to practice and just getting used to nerves.

I used to get seriously nervous when performing, and I've only managed to get it under control in the past couple of years, and I started about a decade ago.

What I find helps though is if you make sure you really know your piece (obviously), and just be confident - like, over the top so. Just fake it if you don't have any, and it helps a fair bit.

ReputationRep:
    I hear a good way to overcome state fright is to carry a concealed weapon on stage . Try not to kill a sucka but you'd know you could if you wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    how about getting private lessons with a singing tutor who can help you with the performance confidence side of things?

or acting classes?

some things i tell myself when i perform is that the audience wants me to do well and is here to see a good musical performance because they're not interested in my nerves

also, try to get lost in the music and enjoy it. the music matters more than where you're singing it and who to

remind yourself that you know what you're doing...you're obviously very good based on the fact that you took a grade 8 exam

hope that helps a bit...good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.