Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    please god...why fm...you want to do medicine not maths or economics :eyebrow:

ReputationRep:
    i dont fink god wants to do fm, macca.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't advise you to do it. In my school if you were considered good enough at maths you were usually encouraged to do further maths (if you were good enough at maths in my school, you did maths GCSE 1 year early, and hence did Maths AS level one year early). Hence most people who were good at maths ended up doing Further Maths anyway, as it was slightly strange to spend 2 years just trying to do C3, C4 and an application module. In fact my school demanded that at least I did Further Maths AS anyway.

However my advice personally is not to do it. I actually lost interest in further maths towards the point of the A2 year, focusing on Biology and Chemistry. I knew Further Maths wouldn't matter. I don't think Further Maths has any advantage in medicine, so I don't think it would be worth taking unless you enjoy it. Personally from my experience, I ended up doing all the easy, boring modules for Further Maths year, D1, D2, S1, S2, which bored me to death. FP1 quite frankly is pretty dull due to recent changes (in fact it's pretty easy). FP2 was a bit more interesting, but quite a bit harder than the other modules, and I didn't have the motivation to concentrate on FP2.

That's just my experience though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scourfield)
    Heya, I have applied to college with the following subjects : Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Further Maths. But I have heard of many Universities not accepting F.Maths as another A level if you already have Maths. I want to go into Medicine, hopefully go onto either Oxbridge or Imperial. I have contacted them but they didn't answer my question, just repeated what was on their websites, which doesn't state anything about F.Maths. My other choice instead of F.Maths would be either Fine Art or Music.

PLEEEEEEASE can someone help?!? Does anyone know what Uni's accept it as another A level, or if I should make my subject choce more diverse?

Many many thanks!!!!!!!
    Not sure if it's changed, but I think last year the only medical schools which said that they didn't regard Maths and F.Maths as separate subjects were UCL and Peninsula.

I did Further Maths, but I don't think it helped a great deal, but it is nice in the sense that pretty much makes normal maths a piece of cake.

But you only need to do 4 A-Levels (some would say 3), so I reckon that if you want to do 5, one of them should be something less sciencey, to give you a break, so Music or Fine Art would be a good choice.

ReputationRep:
    I know they mark you harsher, but art is a great love of mine. I sat my GCSE two years early and got 100%, the chief examiner came to speak with me and said I should've entered it for A level as I had way too much work blah blah and I would have easily gotten an A. I want to take 5, I love all of the subjects I'll take. I will have to do a lot of work experience, I'll hopefully go to a nursing home soon, in the next few weeks. I don't meant to sound at all big headed at the whole art thing, it's just maybe it would be easier than the others, I like them all equally. Ooo, another question. I know the Cambridge offer for medicine is A*AA, what if I had an A* in art and an A in both maths and chemistry, but say B's in the other two. Would I have met the offer if it was with an arts subject that I gained my top grade in?
    Definitely not.
    Cambridge in particular won't care for anything except for academics (which doesn't include art) and relevant work experience. All other ECs are disregarded.

I wish I had your ability with art!
    I love art (and English, and history, and other languages, modern and ancient, and music...) but unfortunately I can't fit more than my beloved sciences in my timetable. :p:
    I've effectively dropped biology and am either taking up AS economics, English literature, or art. If I can, I'll take up A2 biology (but I didn't go to the lessons before the end of AS year so I may not be allowed)!
    The only problem I have with art is... *mumble mumble mumble*...
    see my signature
    In my defence that was done in 4 weeks, not including the 4 week exam, but that was due to my own laziness!

Anyway, moving away from hijacking territory...
    I don't see anything wrong with 5. In fact, most people should do 5. The difficulty is so overrated. It's just due to the fact that there's so little workload at GCSE that taking even 1 AS subject is a big step up.

Go for it, but I would suggest that if you love art so much, and you managed to.. wait. I just re-read your post. You sat the GCSE in art 2 years early? Why didn't you do the A level in years 10 and 11 then? You wasted so much time! :eek: *SCOLDING YOU ALOT*

Well, what I was going to say was, if you managed so much high quality work during your GCSEs (you didn't, but year 9 may as well be year 11 really, there's not much difference in difficulty ) then maybe you could do art as an EC? I mean, take 5 (inc. further maths) and then arrange to find out the necessary information for AS art from the art teacher and do it at home. Most of AS art will be at home anyway, even if it is on your timetable. A friend of mine went to about 40% of lessons this year, and didn't go to lessons for the first 4 weeks or the 6 week exam, and he still produced a load of high quality work. If he doesn't get an A, it's because he wasn't in lessons enough to learn about relevant artists and works and all that wonderful stuff I'm so interested in because he just likes to draw. :p:

ReputationRep:
    OH! Something else to think about:

If you're thinking about further maths, then you probably like maths alot, and/or are really good at it.
    How about fast tracking maths in the first year?

Maths is very suitable for medicine, so you may be lucky enough to get an AA offer, should you achieve an A (hopefully A* as you're a would-be further mathematician), which will reduce your workload in the 2nd year. You can then decide whether or not you want to continue to do maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    Definitely not.
    Cambridge in particular won't care for anything except for academics (which doesn't include art) and relevant work experience. All other ECs are disregarded.
    In medicine, that's true to an extent, but it's certainly not the whole picture.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is very suitable for medicine,
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    In medicine, that's true to an extent, but it's certainly not the whole picture.
    Again, just repeating what admissions tutors have told me.

(Original post by Renal)
    :rofl:
    Meaning of course that it will almost always count in an offer, whereas subjects like music and economics may not.

I don't know what you were getting at here. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    in that case, i'd like to proffer musik as very suitable for medicine and all, macca.

ere is such a kind and friendly bit of music -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UksIFm8Ru6s

ReputationRep:
    Meaning of course that it will almost always count in an offer, whereas subjects like music and economics may not.

I don't know what you were getting at here.
    Nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    Again, just repeating what admissions tutors have told me.
    Names and dates.

You could not be more wrong if you tried.

ReputationRep:
    if musik be the food of love, then maffs must be the dull repititious fart of incompetent slobbery.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not.

I wish I had your ability with art!
    I love art (and English, and history, and other languages, modern and ancient, and music...) but unfortunately I can't fit more than my beloved sciences in my timetable. :p:
    I've effectively dropped biology and am either taking up AS economics, English literature, or art. If I can, I'll take up A2 biology (but I didn't go to the lessons before the end of AS year so I may not be allowed)!
    The only problem I have with art is... *mumble mumble mumble*...
    see my signature
    In my defence that was done in 4 weeks, not including the 4 week exam, but that was due to my own laziness!

Anyway, moving away from hijacking territory...
    I don't see anything wrong with 5. In fact, most people should do 5. The difficulty is so overrated. It's just due to the fact that there's so little workload at GCSE that taking even 1 AS subject is a big step up.

Go for it, but I would suggest that if you love art so much, and you managed to.. wait. I just re-read your post. You sat the GCSE in art 2 years early? Why didn't you do the A level in years 10 and 11 then? You wasted so much time! :eek: *SCOLDING YOU ALOT*

Well, what I was going to say was, if you managed so much high quality work during your GCSEs (you didn't, but year 9 may as well be year 11 really, there's not much difference in difficulty ) then maybe you could do art as an EC? I mean, take 5 (inc. further maths) and then arrange to find out the necessary information for AS art from the art teacher and do it at home. Most of AS art will be at home anyway, even if it is on your timetable. A friend of mine went to about 40% of lessons this year, and didn't go to lessons for the first 4 weeks or the 6 week exam, and he still produced a load of high quality work. If he doesn't get an A, it's because he wasn't in lessons enough to learn about relevant artists and works and all that wonderful stuff I'm so interested in because he just likes to draw. :p:
    I wanted to do A level art early, but my stupid school wouldn't let anyone do any A levels. So in year 10 I did 3d art GCSE then just Fine art GCSE in year 11, so in total I'll have 3 art GCSE's. I would've liked to have taken other subjects, History etc. but the timetable wouldn't have worked. But I was thinking I could take art EC... I'll have to ask in college. I was also wondering, I enjoy all subjects really, Music, Art, English Lit, Geography and Maths are just my favourites outside Science. So I thought F.Maths might be worth it. But there are so many people saying do a contrast, but I like all those subjects the same really. I just thought F.Maths would fit in nicely, but would it appear I was too boring or sticking to the same thing if I did 5 science/maths subjects, or would it show that I was best in that field? For instance, I could take Music to show I was musical, however now thinking of it there's no need as I have it in GCSE and play 2 instruments and I'm in county bands/orchestras etc. Art, is non academic and that's the thing that is worrying me. Should I be taking an academic subject instead - where I thought F.Maths would come in... ARGH! Or should I simply take a subject like Philosphy to question certain medical therories etc. I'm really not sure. Does anyone have an idea of the 'perfect' subject combo. for Medicine?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an idea of the 'perfect' subject combo. for Medicine?
    No such thing. And for the most part, it doesn't matter, medical schools will teach you medicine so you don't have to cover anything or have background knowledge, all you have to do is meet the minimum requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Good point! So as long as I have my 4 main subjects I can take pretty much anything for a 5th that I enjoy? I think I'll test further maths out in the first few weeks of college, I can always change between subjects in the first few weeks anyway! Thank you all! ... I do love my maths :P

ReputationRep:
    the cambridge admission tutor for their medical school told me they do not accept maths and further maths as separate subjects...and i can't really remember what imperial said...but do it if you want..it's really good and it really helps your normal maths

ReputationRep:
    Heya, I have applied to college with the following subjects : Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Further Maths. But I have heard of many Universities not accepting F.Maths as another A level if you already have Maths. I want to go into Medicine, hopefully go onto either Oxbridge or Imperial. I have contacted them but they didn't answer my question, just repeated what was on their websites, which doesn't state anything about F.Maths. My other choice instead of F.Maths would be either Fine Art or Music.

PLEEEEEEASE can someone help?!? Does anyone know what Uni's accept it as another A level, or if I should make my subject choce more diverse?

Many many thanks!!!!!!!
    I am having the same dilemma now. What did you choose eventually? Did you get admission for medicine and what were your A level choices?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.