Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I was wondering if it is necessary to have atleast a 2 in both writing/reading parts in SG to then go on to do Higher?

I ask since I got a 2 in talking, 2 in reading and 3 in writing.

To be honest I was so messed about last year. One week before the deadline that our folio had to have been completed our head of english came into our class. She was worried about the way we had been doing critical essays after someone from our class asked her for help at supported studies. Turns out however we were being taught to write them was wrong. So we had to redo as many as time would allow, under her supervision kind of, in the space of a week. It was completely rediculous.

If I am told that I won't be able to do higher because of this would there be any way I could challenge due to my teacher?

In my prelim I had a writing grade of 1, therefore to get a writing grade of 3 overall in the exam I would need to have gotten quite a few folio pieces graded at 3. Another thing to note is that on two seperate occasions I checked the folder containing our folio pieces and both times I had outdated essays in there. Obviously I had, both times, handed newer versions to my teacher but he neglected to add them in and I had to print new ones off again.

I am getting stressed out. Idealy I wish I could drop English and do Chemistry. Too bad that isn't possible...

ReputationRep:
    No, there are no official requirements and it's all at the discretion of your school. That said, I would be very surprised if they didn't let you do higher when you have a 2 at SG

ReputationRep:
    Yeah not need to worry. If you got a 2 then your school would be mad not to let you do Higher English.

ReputationRep:
    I got the exact same for my SG English breakdown!! But I'm going to attempt the Higher anyway, and you should do the same (unless the school try to stop you, in which case you can get your parents involved.) You can always improve, don't let a 3 in writing hold you back (it's only one part of the course, which is a NAB :rolleyes:) You will hopefully get a better teacher, and learn how to write essays at Higher level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brumski)
    Hey,

I was wondering if it is necessary to have atleast a 2 in both writing/reading parts in SG to then go on to do Higher?

I ask since I got a 2 in talking, 2 in reading and 3 in writing.

To be honest I was so messed about last year. One week before the deadline that our folio had to have been completed our head of english came into our class. She was worried about the way we had been doing critical essays after someone from our class asked her for help at supported studies. Turns out however we were being taught to write them was wrong. So we had to redo as many as time would allow, under her supervision kind of, in the space of a week. It was completely rediculous.

If I am told that I won't be able to do higher because of this would there be any way I could challenge due to my teacher?

In my prelim I had a writing grade of 1, therefore to get a writing grade of 3 overall in the exam I would need to have gotten quite a few folio pieces graded at 3. Another thing to note is that on two seperate occasions I checked the folder containing our folio pieces and both times I had outdated essays in there. Obviously I had, both times, handed newer versions to my teacher but he neglected to add them in and I had to print new ones off again.

I am getting stressed out. Idealy I wish I could drop English and do Chemistry. Too bad that isn't possible...
    You should definitely be able to do Higher this year. Quite a few people in my year were in the same situation as you this time last year and managed to get a Higher this year. Also, you were at a disadvantage through no fault of your own, and you shouldn't be penalised for your teacher's incompetence.
    Good luck
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    there should be no problem at all with you doing higher.

higher and standard grade are fairly different, and although higher is difficult, it requires different skills to a certain extent. i actually really enjoyed higher english - give it a go!

ReputationRep:
    I got a 2 at SG. I really did struggle, i got 1 for talking, 2 for reading and writing. I found the course hard and got a D in the prelim but after the prelim and towards the final exam i worked so hard. In the final i achieved a B (2008 exam) work hard, listen, try your hardest and it is possible to pass with a good grade. Just need to knuckle down with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    You can always improve, don't let a 3 in writing hold you back (it's only one part of the course, which is a NAB :rolleyes:) You will hopefully get a better teacher, and learn how to write essays at Higher level
    eh, the writing shows how good you are likely to be at critical essays which is kind of important.

My school has a policy that you need credit grades in both writing and reading to do higher english. If you're school as this too you will need to moan at them and explain why you think you did badly so they allow you to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    eh, the writing shows how good you are likely to be at critical essays which is kind of important.

My school has a policy that you need credit grades in both writing and reading to do higher english. If you're school as this too you will need to moan at them and explain why you think you did badly so they allow you to do it.
    Actually the essays are supposed to assess reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    Actually the essays are supposed to assess reading.
    i would say the essays assess writing more as most students are told all the notes for their texts from their teachers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    i would say the essays assess writing more as most students are told all the notes for their texts from their teachers.
    Well the sqa have said in their bit about changing the qualification to have creative stuff that that was all about adding in some assessment of writing skills.

The essays you do at standard grade count towards the reading part of the mark aswell.

Just because some are spoonfed analysis however, doesn't mean they understand or are able to apply it. In fact often the opposite is the case.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be able to do higher no problem. Later on in the year if you are really struggling they will ask you to do the Int2 examine and then Higher next year.

ReputationRep:
    At my school they don't let many people who got 1-1-3 do higher - but that's only because at my school alot of people fail higher so they would rather they done Int2 then higher if they wish
    Although I got an overall 2 but can't remember the breakdown exactly but I got a 3 and I was allowed to do higher - and got an A this year!
    So if you tell your teacher that your wanting to do it - I doubt they would say no - especially with the situation that went on with your folio
    Good luck - and don't stress out about it

ReputationRep:
    Most schools would allow you to sit Higher.
    If not, arrange for your parents to intervein.
    If still not, wait until 6th year and tell them you need Higher to get into uni :yep:

ReputationRep:
    In Standard Grade I got an overall 3, 2 for close reading, 3 for writing, 4 for talking (I know, I suck)
    I still requested to do higher, and the results came in on wednesday, got an A So dont be discouraged, I'm pretty sure your school can't deny your right to sit higher, they would just advise against it. It's you/your parents that have the final say.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies. Was told today I could do it..pre appeals, teacher (different one, the head of our English department this time ) said that after the appeals come through that may change. Which sounds mad but I am pretty sure I should be able to stick with Higher. I feel as if we won't be taught anything this year though. I just get the feeling that she expects us how to do things the.. Higher way. Then there is the matter of asking for help, I don't want to ask for help in case she decides to just drop me. Gah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brumski)
    Thanks for all the replies. Was told today I could do it..pre appeals, teacher (different one, the head of our English department this time ) said that after the appeals come through that may change. Which sounds mad but I am pretty sure I should be able to stick with Higher. I feel as if we won't be taught anything this year though. I just get the feeling that she expects us how to do things the.. Higher way. Then there is the matter of asking for help, I don't want to ask for help in case she decides to just drop me. Gah.
    Don't do that :eek:
    If you have a problem, ask for help! The ones who did in my year last year were the ones who did the best come exam time :yep:
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    did anybody do "My Sisters Keeper" for their personal study?

need mega help!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca_x)
    need mega help!!!!!!!!
    You would probably be better off (more likely to get help) either making your own thread (with a more precisely descriptive title) or looking at the Personal Study thread stickied at the top of this forum.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Rebecca_x)
    did anybody do "My Sisters Keeper" for their personal study?

need mega help!!!!!!!!
    You could do something on how the dual/multiple narrative helps to explore a major theme...possibly. Look in the official higher english PS thread, there might be some ideas in there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.