Turn on thread page Beta

University Satisfaction Tables watch

They're out.

Mainstream University Top Ten (discounting agriculture schools, etc)

1. St Andrews 92
    2. Cambridge 91
    3. Leicester 91
    4. Aberystwyth 90
    5. Exeter 90
    6. Glasgow 90
    7. Aberdeen 89
    8. Lancaster 89
    9. Loughborough 89
    10. Sheffield 89
    16. Durham 88
    19. Warwick 88
    20. London, University College 87
    30. Imperial College London 85
    N/A. Oxford

I've added the results of some other notable institutions. I'm not saying they're the only other notable schools, not even nearly.

ReputationRep:
    where is this list?

Full table is here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8187742.stm

ReputationRep:
    Lol at the art students getting all p issy. Weren't the arts colleges bottom last time as well?

Anyway, Newcastle in at 32 (more like 25 in terms of full universities), not bad. LSE is very low!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not particularly surprised by Manchester's placement, as I'm rather unimpressed with them at the moment. A frustrating institution to deal with.

Well done to the OU though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    I'm not particularly surprised by Manchester's placement, as I'm rather unimpressed with them at the moment. A frustrating institution to deal with.

The OU always does well. The whole concept is a bit biased as students in the OU have pretty much zilch expectations, whereas someone on an Oxford med course is expecting everything to be world class.

Still, it's a fair enough method of assessment so long as you don't take the rankings too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    The OU always does well. The whole concept is a bit biased as students in the OU have pretty much zilch expectations, whereas someone on an Oxford med course is expecting everything to be world class.

Still, it's a fair enough method of assessment so long as you don't take the rankings too seriously.
    I imagine it's very difficult to get part-time, long-distance students to feel like properly supported members of a university. I knew they always did well, that's why I was congratulating them!

ReputationRep:
    Why isn't Oxford included? - I swear we got sent that survey :confused:

EDIT: oh.. less than 50% response rate doesn't get included... well, I know I didn't fill it in anyway :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey Hepburn)
    Why isn't Oxford included? - I swear we got sent that survey :confused:

EDIT: oh.. less than 50% response rate doesn't get included... well, I know I didn't fill it in anyway :awesome:
    Didn't Oxford actively tell students not to fill it in this year?

ReputationRep:
    Aber is Number 12! Woop

ReputationRep:
    Anything to retard the rankings tables.

ReputationRep:
    Weeeelll... I didn't actually read the email tbh :o:

Why would we get asked that though? I don't think that anyone was particularly more dissatisfied this year than any other year :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)

I'm a tad concerned, I've stumbled across many posts saying Manchester's more concerned with research than teaching etc.

What are the three main things you are 'unimpressed and frustrated' with them for, may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    Aberystwyth #4.

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey Hepburn)
    Weeeelll... I didn't actually read the email tbh :o:

Why would we get asked that though? I don't think that anyone was particularly more dissatisfied this year than any other year :confused:
    Not sure if i'm right, i just remember reading that somewhere.

The reason Oxford might not want results is because there is no guarentee they'd finish top like they do in everything else (in fact, due to high expectations it's damn near impossible for them to get a top score in it). Then when the results get thrown in to the general league table rankings, it could detract from their score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekpyrotic)
    They're out.

Mainstream University Top Ten (discounting agriculture schools, etc)

1. St Andrews 92
    2. Cambridge 91
    3. Leicester 91
    4. Aberystwyth 90
    5. Exeter 90
    6. Glasgow 90
    7. Aberdeen 89
    8. Lancaster 89
    9. Loughborough 89
    10. Sheffield 89
    16. Durham 88
    19. Warwick 88
    20. London, University College 87
    30. Imperial College London 85
    I'd like to think I did my part in contributing to Imperials awful ranking. I seem to remember being quite pissed off at the time and giving them an awful score. LSE did even worse I think.

ReputationRep:
    BSMS at number 2?

Hells yeah :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    I'm a tad concerned, I've stumbled across many posts saying Manchester's more concerned with research than teaching etc.

What are the three main things you are 'unimpressed and frustrated' with them for, may I ask?
    no, well, they're just inept. they built the first sodding modern computer, but haven't felt the need to keep up with the technology since then.

eta: to be honest though, we're only like, 15% less satisfied than OP's number one. It's nothing to panic over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    LSE did even worse I think.
    They are like, 80th! I was very shocked to see them so low.

(Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    LSE did even worse I think.
    Around 70th.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.