Turn on thread page Beta

University Satisfaction Tables watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    :rolleyes:

Where you "place" in the table doesn't matter, it's the percentage that matters. 77% of students at my university are satisfied with their courses, other universities have done better, but it's not anything to fill prospective freshers with dread, really. If it was 15% satisfaction, then yes, otherwise "so many unhappy students..." is a whinge too far.
    I agree- there really isn't a massive amount between 75 and 90, especially in these broad, multifaculty universities that have to keep a lot of people happy in a lot of disciplines. 77% of Manchester's student population is nearly 31,000- 92% at St Andrews is around 5,500. Is it easier to keep fewer students across less subjects in a smaller area satisfied? I'll leave that one open to debate...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelancastrian)
    Thats because its the most awesome place ever. The uni's not bad either
    :p: Can't wait to get away from London.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Does it really matter? This is such a personal and subjective issue that no sort of proper comparison can be made, or even a proper compilation of results.

Oh dear, Brunel didn't do terribly well. Only 77%.

ReputationRep:
    If you are keeping more than 70% of students in a university happy, you are doing well. However I don't know how well this survey was conducted to even decisively prove that.

ReputationRep:
    Medway School of Pharmacy has 386 students total, I guess if LSE or else had that low amount of students, they'd have 97% satisfaction, too.
    -> http://www.ucas.ac.uk/instit/i/m62.html

77 for LSE is very good, I think. Take into account that studying there is very hard and that some students would say they aren't completely happy with their situation.

Essex 80, niice

ReputationRep:
    Here is one way universities can improve their student satisfaction http://bit.ly/3q2M2h (Glad I don't work at Funcaster Uni).

ReputationRep:
    okay, just to clarify, is this table a measure general satisfaction, or just the satisfaction of the course people are on, in which case wouldnt it be more benificial to be looking at your courses indavidual course satisfaction on somewhere like unistats instead of the overall table?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    And I fear I shall miss Lancaster when I go to Liverpool. Oh how our worlds are so different...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I am surprised Nottingham got a decent 87 lol...are these used in the times league table rankings?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    I am surprised Nottingham got a decent 87 lol...are these used in the times league table rankings?
    Yes. Although the "student satisfaction" score which turns up in the table may not be 87%:
    "The percentage of positive responses (Agree & Definitely Agree) in each of the six question areas (Teaching, Assessment & Feedback, Academic Support, Organisation & Management, Learning Resources and Personal Development) plus the Overall Satisfaction question were combined to provide a composite score and averaged over two years. For institutions where a NSS score does not exist the average of their other scores is used."

ReputationRep:
    You've listed Durham at 16 and Warwick at 19 but they have the same score (88%). Within the same score groups the table's in alpha order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekpyrotic)
    They're out.

Mainstream University Top Ten (discounting agriculture schools, etc)

1. St Andrews 92
    2. Cambridge 91
    3. Leicester 91
    4. Aberystwyth 90
    5. Exeter 90
    6. Glasgow 90
    7. Aberdeen 89
    8. Lancaster 89
    9. Loughborough 89
    10. Sheffield 89
    16. Durham 88
    19. Warwick 88
    20. London, University College 87
    30. Imperial College London 85
    N/A. Oxford

I've added the results of some other notable institutions. I'm not saying they're the only other notable schools, not even nearly.
    Why have you left out the other unis? I think it speaks VOLUMES that students are happier with their teaching, feedback, resources at the other institutions. Especially given that there are post 92 universities in the top 20 and have been for the past couple of years. I do agree with 0404343m about the size of institutions on some levels. However, when it comes to the questions on the SS survey about resources etc - the bigger universities usually have the bigger libraries and normally bigger volumes of actual resources so it can provide an interesting look at the whether the bigger institutions are spending their money on the things that students want for example.

You've got to take all these rankings with a pinch of salt but I think questions on resources can be quite telling at times.

(Original post by apotoftea)
    Why have you left out the other unis?
    I compiled the list so people could see where their university positioned. For brevity I selected universities TSR members were likely to attend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekpyrotic)
    I compiled the list so people could see where their university positioned. For brevity I selected universities TSR members were likely to attend.
    Where's York, Bristol or King's then?

(Original post by apotoftea)
    Where's York, Bristol or King's then?
    I scanned through the list and just grabbed the universities I saw, also why LSE is not there. I even wrote a little disclaimer with my original post.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.