The Student Room Group

What is the psychology behind being turned on by someone/something?

Im really curious to the psychology behind people getting turned on. For example if a guy sees a girl with a good body he will likely get turned on by her but what is the thought process involved? I mean he does he just automaticly see a girl and the visual info suddenly turns him on? Or does he imagine sex?

If so what is it about the foreplay/sex that turns people on? Is it the actual act of stimulating the genitals or is there a lot of psychology going such as being turned on by the thought of them being turned on? Or the thought of being liked?
For example say a guy/or girl has a back massage by an attractive member of the opposite sex in a lot of cases it can turn them on, but how? Is it the thought of them knowing that they are touching you and them knowing you are enjoying it?

I guess its different for everyone but what turns you on and what is the detailed thought process involved? Its complicated but is anyone willing to do their best to explain? Post as anonymous if you want for privacy.
Reply 1
Guess its the wrong place wrong time lol
Reply 2
A lot of sexual arousal is psychological, and I couldn't really explain that because I am not a psychologist. I suppose different things turn different people on, and that is all to do with their psychology.

Any mental image/concept or emotion that they find arousing happens in the cerebral cortex (the outermost and most modern part of out brain) and it is then identified by the brain as a sexual thought. The brain then sorts through these "thoughts" and sends impulses down the correct nerves to effectors (muscles or glands) in your genitals, which react in the appropriate way (glands secrete natural lubricant, muscles in veins cause vasodilation and blood rushes to the area, engorging the genitals etc.)

Sorry if that wasn't what your asking. Interesting stuff though, I think! :teeth:
Its not really relevant but i saw a documentary where they put probes down there on some women to measure arousal and blood flow and showed them various videos.

Videos of monkeys having sex turned most women on (at least medically, although probably not mentally)(...I hope :ninja: ) They said it was because women have an evolutionary adaptation that prepares them in case of rape and anything with a sexual context causes an automatic response in their nether regions to protect them from getting harmed too much.

Again, not very relevant to what you were asking but i found it interesting.

Latest

Trending

Trending