Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A quick question about push-ups watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've been trying to do push-ups, and, well, been having no luck.

I actually have problems lowering myself down into the push-up; I can lower myself down about an inch, or two, but that isn't sufficient to get a good push-up done.

I should have the strength for push-ups (I've been doing some weights, have visible biceps, can lift own body weight)...
    I thought it might be to do with my weak wrists, but I've just been trying using wrist supports, and, whilst they stop pain, there's no real improvement.

So, any ideas why I can't lower myself into the position for a push-up?

ReputationRep:
    Is the problem that it becomes painful, or does it feel more like a physical barrier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    Is the problem that it becomes painful, or does it feel more like a physical barrier?
    Physical barrier.
    I can't actually move down any further.

I think it might be to do with how far apart I put my hands? How far apart are they meant to go?

ReputationRep:
    I remember like 5 years ago I couldn't do one at all, then just over a year later I did 69 in a minute in our JSLA lesson.

The only problem is, I can't fully remember what happened in between.

I taught my little sister (she's 9) to do push-ups as well when she couldn't before. (lol)

I think you probably haven't got the strength yet but I dunno. I'd say persist at it whilst weight-lifting. Others with disagree though .

EDIT: I'm a fool and misread the first post. I can't explain why you can't get into the position but: how far apart do you put your hands? do you use grips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samalama)
    I remember like 5 years ago I couldn't do one at all, then just over a year later I did 69 in a minute in our JSLA lesson.

The only problem is, I can't fully remember what happened in between.

I taught my little sister (she's 9) to do push-ups as well when she couldn't before. (lol)

I think you probably haven't got the strength yet but I dunno. I'd say persist at it whilst weight-lifting. Others with disagree though .
    LOL, dammit!

You really think so? How much strength would it take?
    I mean, I can lift my own weight, isn't that enough?

ReputationRep:
    Your probably not doing it properly.

Your hands should be shoulder width apart and should be in line with your shoulders too.

Rep if this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samalama)
    EDIT: I'm a fool and misread the first post. I can't explain why you can't get into the position but: how far apart do you put your hands? do you use grips?
    My hands are so my thumbs are in line with the edges of my shoulders.

And I don't know what grips are (they help you... grip?), so I guess I don't use them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Non-anon)
    LOL, dammit!

You really think so? How much strength would it take?
    I mean, I can lift my own weight, isn't that enough?
    You can lift your weight in what movement?
    And, your hand position shouldn't really matter so long as it's at least shoulder width apart(being too far wouldn't be a problem for going downwards, although doing it controlled could be harder, and you might not want to drop).

Anyway, try it starting lieing on the ground, then just push up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cartesian_)
    Your probably not doing it properly.

Your hands should be shoulder width apart and should be in line with your shoulders too.

Rep if this helps
    My hands should be directly under my shoulders?

ReputationRep:
    if you cant do that, start with your knees on the floor and build it up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    You can lift your weight in what movement?
    And, your hand position shouldn't really matter so long as it's at least shoulder width apart(being too far wouldn't be a problem for going downwards, although doing it controlled could be harder, and you might not want to drop).

Anyway, try it starting lieing on the ground, then just push up.
    I can hold my own weight on my brother's chin-up bar. Fair enough, can't do a proper chin-up, but I can straighten my legs and suspend for a while, lift myself a little.
    I can lift myself by putting my hands on something at around waist-height and pushing up, and can hold that for a few seconds.
    I can stay in the first push-up position (I mean, arms straight, only hands and toes on ground) for quite some time.

And thanks, I might just try that
    Would be nice to do push-ups like other people can though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    if you cant do that, start with your knees on the floor and build it up
    I've tried that, and I don't really get much out of it.
    Either it's too easy, or I'm doing it wrong (more likely)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donc, je suis.)
    Every girl I know has exactly the same problem (myself included). I just collapse in a useless heap. Maybe we're just a weak bunch, or maybe we're all doing something wrong ?!
    I refuse to accept it!

ReputationRep:
    I can hold my own weight on my brother's chin-up bar. Fair enough, can't do a proper chin-up, but I can straighten my legs and suspend for a while, lift myself a little.
    I can lift myself by putting my hands on something at around waist-height and pushing up, and can hold that for a few seconds.
    I can stay in the first push-up position (I mean, arms straight, only hands and toes on ground) for quite some time.

And thanks, I might just try that
    Would be nice to do push-ups like other people can though
    Well, that's not really lifting it at all, and as far as I remember, is basically only forearm muscles involved.

I would say just try what I said, and see if you actually have the strength to do it.
    In the past, I've just dropped from the top of pushups to get to the floor, and it works fine(admittedly, I don't have breasts in the way, but hey).

ReputationRep:
    I've tried that, and I don't really get much out of it.
    Either it's too easy, or I'm doing it wrong (more likely)...
    okay, try them against a table or wall? move your legs back further for increased effect

ReputationRep:
    Your hands should be shoulder width apart or slightly more, to start with. Your fingers should be facing forward.

Check out: http://hundredpushups.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    Well, that's not really lifting it at all, and as far as I remember, is basically only forearm muscles involved.

I would say just try what I said, and see if you actually have the strength to do it.
    In the past, I've just dropped from the top of pushups to get to the floor, and it works fine(admittedly, I don't have breasts in the way, but hey).
    It isn't ):
    Not even a little...?
    Not even the initial getting up there...?

So, starting lying down, your body should come off the floor in one movement (not like doing 'the worm), right?
    I'm having trouble with where to put my hands, and my feet keep slipping. More practice required, methinks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varciani)
    Your hands should be shoulder width apart or slightly more, to start with. Your fingers should be facing forward.

Check out: http://hundredpushups.com/
    Thanks, that link was extremely useful (:
    Has tips to stop my poor little wrists from snapping too (:

ReputationRep:
    My hands should be directly under my shoulders?
    Assume the front-leaning rest position by placing your hands where they are comfortable for you (though different positions -- further or closer apart -- hit different sets up muscles). Your feet may be together or up to 12 inches apart. When viewed from the side, your body should form a generally straight line from your shoulders to your ankles.

Begin the push-up by bending your elbows and lowering your entire body as a single unit until your upper arms are at least parallel to the ground. Then, return to the starting position by raising your entire body until your arms are fully extended. Your body must remain rigid in a generally straight line and move as a unit while performing each repetition.

If you don't respect the emboldened part, it's not proper form. Loads of people say how they can do X or Y number of pushups, but they wouldn't be able to do half of that if they used proper form. :rofl:

More importantly, it could hurt your back (though not immediately noticeable).

Edit: Wiki also has some good ideas for beginners:

(Original post by Less difficult versions)
    "Wall press-ups" are performed by standing close to a wall and pushing away from the wall with the arms; one can increase the difficulty by moving one's feet farther from the wall.

"Modified" press-ups are performed by supporting the lower body on the knees instead of the toes, which reduces the difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't ):
    Not even a little...?
    Not even the initial getting up there...?

So, starting lying down, your body should come off the floor in one movement (not like doing 'the worm), right?
    I'm having trouble with where to put my hands, and my feet keep slipping. More practice required, methinks...
    That depends how you get up there.
    On my pullup bar, I can hold it stood up, then I have to drop to a hang by bending my knees, so getting to there doesn't really use any muscles.

Yeah, your body should basically be like a board, and the only movement should be from your shoulders end.
    If you find it too tricky to begin with, stand up, and do them against a wall. You can move it to closer to parallel to the gronud as you get stronger.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.