Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A quick question about push-ups Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    okay, try them against a table or wall? move your legs back further for increased effect
    Ah, thanks, the moving my knees further back made it harder
    How long do you reckon it would take until I can move on to big-boy press-ups?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Non-anon)
    Ah, thanks, the moving my knees further back made it harder
    How long do you reckon it would take until I can move on to big-boy press-ups?
    yeah, keep at it like that :yy:

i've no idea! i find that i usually use my stomach muscles a lot whilst doing push ups so maybe an exercise when you lie on the floor, stomach down, put your arms together under your stomach - clasp your hands and lift your body off the floor about 5cm. Hold it for as long as you can. That'll kill your stomach so take a break every minute or two :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    Assume the front-leaning rest position by placing your hands where they are comfortable for you (though different positions hit different sets up muscles). Your feet may be together or up to 12 inches apart. When viewed from the side, your body should form a generally straight line from your shoulders to your ankles.

Begin the push-up by bending your elbows and lowering your entire body as a single unit until your upper arms are at least parallel to the ground. Then, return to the starting position by raising your entire body until your arms are fully extended. Your body must remain rigid in a generally straight line and move as a unit while performing each repetition.

If you don't respect the emboldened part, it's not proper form. Loads of people say how they can do X or Y number of pushups, but they wouldn't be able to do half of that if they used proper form. :rofl:

More importantly, it could hurt your back (though not immediately noticeable).

Edit: Wiki also has some good ideas for beginners:
    Thanks for that hugely informative post (: That's certainly very helpful.

I still find, even when using the above to guide me, that I can't get very far down before my elbows just 'lock' (I don't know if I've used that word in the right context, but it sounds right)...
    I'll just try doing the other versions well rather than struggling, then try again with big-boy push-ups some other time...

Thanks again, majorly helpful (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    That depends how you get up there.
    On my pullup bar, I can hold it stood up, then I have to drop to a hang by bending my knees, so getting to there doesn't really use any muscles.

Yeah, your body should basically be like a board, and the only movement should be from your shoulders end.
    If you find it too tricky to begin with, stand up, and do them against a wall. You can move it to closer to parallel to the gronud as you get stronger.
    I had to go on tip-toes and strech like hell to get up, then I hang, lift knees up, tried extending legs and could lift myself up a little.
    Sorry, it's difficult to come to the realisation that I'm actually weak
    But I know I'm stronger than I once was

I've decided to just work on some easier versions for now, and get some good quality work.
    So, my elbows just, kind of, stop bending because I'm a weakling?
    I feel stupid for posting now...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that hugely informative post (: That's certainly very helpful.

I still find, even when using the above to guide me, that I can't get very far down before my elbows just 'lock' (I don't know if I've used that word in the right context, but it sounds right)...
    I'll just try doing the other versions well rather than struggling, then try again with big-boy push-ups some other time...

Thanks again, majorly helpful (:
    No problem. Try the knee pushups again, this time with emphasis on better form (it'll be harder that way). Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezf_OtRcAXo

The most important part of exercise is devotion and regularity. Work out every other day (there are other workout plans, but let's keep it simple), and never miss a day or else it might become a habit... and soon enough you'll just stop doing anything altogether. Results stem from regularity... remember: you can lose strength as easily as you can gain it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    yeah, keep at it like that :yy:

i've no idea! i find that i usually use my stomach muscles a lot whilst doing push ups so maybe an exercise when you lie on the floor, stomach down, put your arms together under your stomach - clasp your hands and lift your body off the floor about 5cm. Hold it for as long as you can. That'll kill your stomach so take a break every minute or two :P
    That's harder than the push-ups!
    Another exercise for me to try and master

ReputationRep:
    I had to go on tip-toes and strech like hell to get up, then I hang, lift knees up, tried extending legs and could lift myself up a little.
    Sorry, it's difficult to come to the realisation that I'm actually weak
    But I know I'm stronger than I once was

I've decided to just work on some easier versions for now, and get some good quality work.
    So, my elbows just, kind of, stop bending because I'm a weakling?
    I feel stupid for posting now...
    It's all progression, I didn't used to be able to do any pull ups, but now I can do a good..at least 8(it was like 15, but I've put on 2 stone since then, and haven't tried going all out, but I don't think I'd get much beyond 10).

Yeah, the best ones are wall pushups(or, say bench ones, if you're strong enough), or pull ups where you're on your knees, not toes(although the temptation here is to do them totally wrong).
    Well, it's difficult to tell without a vid/seeing it, but I'd guess more because it's difficult to make your body do something that'll cause you to put your face into the ground:p:
    But that's why I thought lying down and pushing up would be best to find out if you had the strength.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    No problem. Try the knee pushups again, this time with emphasis on better form (it'll be harder that way). Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezf_OtRcAXo

The most important part of exercise is devotion and regularity. Work out every other day (there are other workout plans, but let's keep it simple), and never miss a day or else it might become a habit... and soon enough you'll just stop doing anything altogether. Results stem from regularity... remember: you can lose strength as easily as you can gain it.
    Thanks for that too (:
    I think I'll keep to the knee push-ups for a while...

And great advice, I've been trying to use the holidays to work-out properly, I just hope I can keep it up when Sixth Form starts...

ReputationRep:
    One last thing... Pull-ups are notoriously hard (even moreso if you use proper form and don't get help by swinging your legs). Even most guys at the gym avoid the pull-up bar like the plague. But it's very fulfilling when you can do a good set of pull-ups (especially since most people can't). So, in other words, if I were a beginner such as yourself, I'd try to gain some core strength from push-ups and crunches first.

P.S. chin-ups are easier than pull-ups though (but I don't think you should bother with those either, just for now). Pull-ups are when your palms are facing outwards (or knuckles towards your face, if you prefer), and chin-ups are the opposite. Pull-ups target a set of muscles (towards your back) that are typically used a lot less than your other muscles... hence why people struggle with them. Chin-ups, on the other hand, are primarily performed with the biceps (edit: from your arms, but it hits the lats the most), so they're a bit easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    P.S. chin-ups are easier than pull-ups though. Pull-ups are when your palms are facing outwards, and chin-ups are the opposite. Pull-ups target a set of muscles that are use a lot less than other muscles such as your biceps (which is what you primarily use for a chin-up).
    Really, I think your lats get used a fair bit more than your biceps in either, although admittedly your biceps will likely fail first.

ReputationRep:
    It's all progression, I didn't used to be able to do any pull ups, but now I can do a good..at least 8(it was like 15, but I've put on 2 stone since then, and haven't tried going all out, but I don't think I'd get much beyond 10).

Yeah, the best ones are wall pushups(or, say bench ones, if you're strong enough), or pull ups where you're on your knees, not toes(although the temptation here is to do them totally wrong).
    Well, it's difficult to tell without a vid/seeing it, but I'd guess more because it's difficult to make your body do something that'll cause you to put your face into the ground:p:
    But that's why I thought lying down and pushing up would be best to find out if you had the strength.
    It's just frustrating when you don't feel you're getting much better, even though you've been putting work in... Dammit, I'll just keep on truckin'! One day I'll be strong...
    I'd also like to throw in the excuse that I'm a girl. Er, that counts for something, right? :p:

Knee push-ups are looking like the best option for me. Need to get better acquainted with that floor, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    One last thing... Pull-ups are notoriously hard (even moreso if you use proper form and don't get help by swinging your legs). Even most guys at the gym avoid the pull-up bar like the plague. But it's very fulfilling when you can do a good set of pull-ups (especially since most people can't). So, in other words, if I were a beginner such as yourself, I'd try to gain some core strength from push-ups and crunches first.

P.S. chin-ups are easier than pull-ups though. Pull-ups are when your palms are facing outwards (or knuckles towards your face if you prefer), and chin-ups are the opposite. Pull-ups target a set of muscles that are typically used a lot less than other muscles such as your biceps (which is what you primarily use for a chin-up)... hence why people struggle with push-ups, as those muscles are often weaker than their other ones.
    Yeah, I'm not gonna kid myself about the pull-ups, or chin-ups... As long as I'm pretty toned (I use that word fearfully, apparently people don't like it?), I'll be happy.
    Won't be challenging no bikers to any arm wrestles any time soon...

ReputationRep:
    It's just frustrating when you don't feel you're getting much better, even though you've been putting work in... Dammit, I'll just keep on truckin'! One day I'll be strong...
    I'd also like to throw in the excuse that I'm a girl. Er, that counts for something, right? :p:

Knee push-ups are looking like the best option for me. Need to get better acquainted with that floor, I think.
    That counts for a fair bit, given the comparative difficulty with building muscle due to the testosterone/oestrogen differences:p:
    But good stuff getting going with it.

Well, the floor is a much nicer place than many seem to believe(although you might be better off just benching than doing pushups tbh).

ReputationRep:
    Really, I think your lats get used a fair bit more than your biceps in either, although admittedly your biceps will likely fail first.
    Yep, that's true, I just meant in terms of the arms (which I think people tend to notice the most when they approach muscle failure, as you said).

ReputationRep:
    1. Do them on your knees.

2. Start off with light weights and build up.

3. Try doing them with FISTS because it takes the pressure off the wrists.

ReputationRep:
    That counts for a fair bit, given the comparative difficulty with building muscle due to the testosterone/oestrogen differences:p:
    But good stuff getting going with it.

Well, the floor is a much nicer place than many seem to believe(although you might be better off just benching than doing pushups tbh).
    Benching?
    Um, after a quick google... is that the thing with the big ol' weights?
    I don't have any big ol' weights, and I can only really do exercise stuff at home.
    When I said I do some weights I meant high reps with little weights, dumbells? (This is another factor contributing to why I'm not really getting stronger, I guess. Although, it is improving the look of my arms)

I seriously need to get down with all this fitness lingo... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    Yep, that's true, I just meant in terms of the arms (which I think people tend to notice the most when they approach muscle failure, as you said).
    Even then, I think my forearms go first, although I'm not sure everyone finds this, and certainly most notice their biceps most.

ReputationRep:
    Benching?
    Um, after a quick google... is that the thing with the big ol' weights?
    I don't have any big ol' weights, and I can only really do exercise stuff at home.
    When I said I do some weights I meant high reps with little weights, dumbells? (This is another factor contributing to why I'm not really getting stronger, I guess. Although, it is improving the look of my arms)

I seriously need to get down with all this fitness lingo... :rolleyes:
    Bench press, lie down(on a bench normally, although you can do it as a floor press), hold the weight, and push up, plenty videos about.

I thought that might be the case, that's why I didn't reccomend it earlier.
    Mm, strength is better served by more weight, less reps.

ReputationRep:
    Bench press, lie down(on a bench normally, although you can do it as a floor press), hold the weight, and push up, plenty videos about.

I thought that might be the case, that's why I didn't reccomend it earlier.
    Mm, strength is better served by more weight, less reps.
    ^^^ Seconded

You can only get bigger if you lift heavy weights which traumatise your muscles which give them a reason to change. Higher repetitions - 10-15 might be ok at first if you do them slowly so you can strengthen your slow twitch muscle fibres to aid in recover later on and perfect technique. Then lower the rep range with heavy weights between 5-8 reps for strength and size increases - and you're now hitting fast twitch fibres. After 5 you should struggle.

ReputationRep:
    Even then, I think my forearms go first, although I'm not sure everyone finds this, and certainly most notice their biceps most.
    Depends on the person, I guess. I tend to do a lot of forearm exercises, so forearms aren't usually the problem for me (though I do of course feel them). Another interesting variant of either the pull-ups or chin-ups is adding weight. So for example, I might train with 5 kg of extra weight one week, and then the next week I take it off and it feels a lot easier to progress in my usual reps. Though, really, the perfect workout plan is very dependant on the individual... some people really don't like adding the extra weight (and not because they think it makes things harder -- they just have a different approach to these things). That's what I like about physical training -- you tailor your program however you seem fit (no pun intended). You just have to be careful not to do anything silly/ineffective of course.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.