Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A quick question about push-ups Watch

ReputationRep:
    Holy ****. How can there be 3 pages on press-ups?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    Bench press, lie down(on a bench normally, although you can do it as a floor press), hold the weight, and push up, plenty videos about.

I thought that might be the case, that's why I didn't reccomend it earlier.
    Mm, strength is better served by more weight, less reps.
    Bench-pressing with dumbells? I do that.
    I think that's effective... I mean, I can feel it.
    Yup, that's my measure of effectiveness. :o:

Yeah, I've just got my brother's old weights- they're only 3kg. Hopefully, he'll move on to some more weights, and I can get his current ones...
    I reckon I'm still stronger than most girls I know (although, that might just be because I actually do something), as long as I can beat them in an arm wrestle, I'll be content.
    Yes, arm wrestles are the true measure of strength, for me.

And hopefully this knee-up malarky will improve my strength enough anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I'm very, very... 'special'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    We added pull-ups and chin-ups to the table.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Non-anon)
    It's just frustrating when you don't feel you're getting much better, even though you've been putting work in... Dammit, I'll just keep on truckin'! One day I'll be strong...
    I'd also like to throw in the excuse that I'm a girl. Er, that counts for something, right? :p:
    You're not 'putting the work in'. Doing bicep curls with pounds of beans is not going to give you biceps, let alone enable you to do a push up. Partly because they don't weigh more than your internal organs, but also because pushups don't require strong biceps.

It's actually about the chest, shoulders and triceps. And you'll need a strong core to make sure you are holding your body in the correct position and not sagging in the middle - use those abs especially.

Try bench pressing, overhead lifts (both can be done with dumbells, providing they weigh more than a can of beans) to work on these muscles, and keep trying half push-ups. Use slow rep timing. You should improve rapidly if you push yourself with the weights.

EDIT:
    [Quote = Non-anon]I reckon I'm still stronger than most girls I know (although, that might just be because I actually do something), as long as I can beat them in an arm wrestle, I'll be content. [/Quote]
    This cannot be true. Working out with 3 kg weights is less than nothing - my 12 year old sister could do that. So no, you're not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    You're not 'putting the work in'. Doing bicep curls with pounds of beans is not going to give you biceps, let alone enable you to do a push up. Partly because they don't weigh more than your internal organs, but also because pushups don't require strong biceps.

It's actually about the chest, shoulders and triceps. And you'll need a strong core to make sure you are holding your body in the correct position and not sagging in the middle - use those abs especially.

Try bench pressing, overhead lifts (both can be done with dumbells, providing they weigh more than a can of beans) to work on these muscles, and keep trying half push-ups. Use slow rep timing. You should improve rapidly if you push yourself with the weights.

EDIT:

This cannot be true. Working out with 3 kg weights is less than nothing - my 12 year old sister could do that. So no, you're not.
    That came over a tad harsh...
    I didn't mean that being able to lift those weights meant I was stronger, I meant the work I've been putting in (other than bicep curls, they aren't all I do) has led to improvement in my strength and the fact that I've gotten better should mean I'm at least a little better than girls who don't do anything at all.
    My slightly contradictory point was that although I've gotten better, the improvement hasn't really been vast, but that's just me being impatient.
    Also, push-ups aren't my final aim, it was just something I was having trouble with.

But thanks for your advice too.

ReputationRep:
    LOL, dammit!

You really think so? How much strength would it take?
    I mean, I can lift my own weight, isn't that enough?
    Lol, Sorry!

I was lifting weights over the time though. In what way can you lift your own weight? Chin-ups?

My hands are so my thumbs are in line with the edges of my shoulders.

And I don't know what grips are (they help you... grip?), so I guess I don't use them...
    Grips are to make the exercise more difficult, I was just wondering if you were using them lol.

You should try widening the space between your hands so that when you reach the ground with your nose, you have made a right-angle between your humerus and your forearm. Your hands should be in line with your chest - as if you were bench pressing a barbell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samalama)
    Lol, Sorry!

I was lifting weights over the time though. In what way can you lift your own weight? Chin-ups?

Grips are to make the exercise more difficult, I was just wondering if you were using them lol.

You should try widening the space between your hands so that when you reach the ground with your nose, you have made a right-angle between your humerus and your forearm. Your hands should be in line with your chest - as if you were bench pressing a barbell.

Um, turns out that I'm actually just a weakling... (see a few posts earlier)
    I can basically suspend myself on a chin-up bar, extend my legs, and lift myself a little. Apparently, this counts for nothing

Thanks for your advice
    I've decided I'll just stick to benchpresses and easier variations of push-ups to build up some strength, then try again with big-boy push-ups some other time :o:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.