Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!
    I want to do my EE on Shakespeare.
    I wanted to write about two women. Lady Macbeth and Juliet.

I am having a lot of trouble figuring out my research question.
    It has to be a good enough question for me to get 4000 words from it!

How would you compare Lady Macbeth and Juliet?

I was thinking of writing about their paths. since both characters completely changed from the beginning of the play to the end!

Please lend a hand everyone! thanks!

ReputationRep:
    well you could do a classic "Lady Macbeth and Juliet are victims in a world of men." Discuss. or "Lady Macbeth and Juliet cause their own tragic demise." Discuss

But as I'm sure you know its nice to give the examiners somthing a little bit more unusual as a title, and also somthing you would find more interesting then the above predictible title, so maybe somthing like:

"How far does Shakespeare portray his belief in the strength of the "feminine" with the characters, Lady Macbeth and Juliet?"

I did A-level english so I don't know how you would phrase your questions for IB, BUT with this title you have lots of exciting avenues to explore: Contrasting the roles of lady macbeth and juliet, defining what the concept of "femininity" is, then applying that definition you come to with Lady Macbeth and Juliet and how far they fulfill that definition. You can also add some historical evidence here, what was the perception of women in Elizabethan times and then as a conclusion its always nice to finish with some drama, maybe argue how far Shaekspeare hearelded the power of women and their role in society years before the concept of the suffragette struggle in the UK. I always like to believe that shakespeare held a lot of respect for women and saw their role as much more than that of subservience as was commonly attributed to them during shakespeare's time.

Whatever you decide on doing have fun with it and you are so lucky to get 4000 words...we got 3000 at a-level and I had such a hard time cutting my word limit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meenapixi)
    "How far does Shakespeare portray his belief in the strength of the "feminine" with the characters, Lady Macbeth and Juliet?"
    Frailty thy name is women

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cconstant)
    Frailty thy name is women
    yes Hamlet, and your point is? :p:

ReputationRep:
    yes Hamlet, and your point is? :p:
    Well it contradicts what you said quite nicely :P

ReputationRep:
    Well it contradicts what you said quite nicely :P
    it COULD...but then it could just be argued that shakespeare uses that line to convey to the audience Hamlet's insecurities and almost lack of self-esteem around women. How is unable to understand their purpose and their role in society, he lives in a world where he feels like there should be patriarchal dominance but he finds conflicts with that logic within himself. Besides that line was most directly used to condemn Gertrude and she in herself is not a character of real moral standing, and could be used in contrast to say, lady Macbeth in that her survival has depended upon her turning deaf ears to her husband's murder, whilst at least Lady Macbeth ownes up to her guilt.....I COULD go on but I'm kinda tierd and can't be assed (I know very naughty) but I shall whole heartedly rebuttle any argument you propose to my comments.

I :love: shakespeare

ReputationRep:
    it COULD...but then it could just be argued that shakespeare uses that line to convey to the audience Hamlet's insecurities and almost lack of self-esteem around women. How is unable to understand their purpose and their role in society, he lives in a world where he feels like there should be patriarchal dominance but he finds conflicts with that logic within himself. Besides that line was most directly used to condemn Gertrude and she in herself is not a character of real moral standing, and could be used in contrast to say, lady Macbeth in that her survival has depended upon her turning deaf ears to her husband's murder, whilst at least Lady Macbeth ownes up to her guilt.....I COULD go on but I'm kinda tierd and can't be assed (I know very naughty) but I shall whole heartedly rebuttle any argument you propose to my comments.

I :love: shakespeare

I've never read Hamlet (I have it in my to-read pile of books tho) so I cant really argue withy you on that. I only know that quote as its quite famous :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've never read Hamlet (I have it in my to-read pile of books tho) so I cant really argue withy you on that. I only know that quote as its quite famous :p:
    :eek: never....read....Hamlet....eigh. ... :no:

ReputationRep:
    I've never read Hamlet (I have it in my to-read pile of books tho) so I cant really argue withy you on that. I only know that quote as its quite famous
    I prithee do not mock me, fellow student:confused:

You do make a fair point about Hamlet's view of women (check out yo play scene for more fun), but his whole view of the world is pretty twisted so it's probably best not to infer too much about Shakespeare's personal views. Plays such as Twelfth Night and King Lear present a whole bunch of women including characters who are powerful, weak, kind, cruel and all sorts of confusing mixtures. If anything, Shakespeare's female characters are a more diverse bunch than the male ones so trying to draw wide ranging conclusions about the man himself certainly has its limitations.

Oh, and I NEVER HAVE TO WRITE AN ENGLISH ESSAY AGAIN:yes: DAMN YOU IB FOR DOING THIS TO ME:eek3: WHY DID I EVEN REPLY

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.