Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm ******** it regarding this!

I had a driving lesson this afternoon, had a 35 min mock test. At the end of it, my instructor said that i had completely gone straight through a red light at a pedestrian crossing! :o: No-one was on the crossing luckily enough.

Absolutely gutted. Instructor said people on lessons do miss them cos they are concentrating on driving the car! I've never missed lights before, so dunno what made me miss that one today.

Bet i'll get slaughtered for that now won't i? Hoping there weren't no cameras about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan)
    I'm ******** it regarding this!

I had a driving lesson this afternoon, had a 35 min mock test. At the end of it, my instructor said that i had completely gone straight through a red light at a pedestrian crossing! :o: No-one was on the crossing luckily enough.

Absolutely gutted. Instructor said people on lessons do miss them cos they are concentrating on driving the car! I've never missed lights before, so dunno what made me miss that one today.

Bet i'll get slaughtered for that now won't i? Hoping there weren't no cameras about!
    Don't worry about it. This happens, and you're still learning. I'm suprised your instructor didn't say anything at the time. Chances are the lights didn't have any automated camera, so you shouldn't be penalised. Put it this way, getting a fine is far less of a punishment than crashing into someone.
    Put it down as a learning experience, we've all done horribly stupid things at some point. I once went flat out through a crossroads where I had to give way. Bad times. Luckily the other road was empty.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you will have been caught, but yes you need to be very careful and not to miss these things in the future. I'm sure you won't make the same mistake again now.

ReputationRep:
    How **** is your instructor for letting you drive through a red light?

ReputationRep:
    Normally i'm ok. But for some reason, today was just a horrid lesson!

Missed them lights, and then further up the road went and stopped behind a red light when i had a filter light. :o: Puts you off ever driving again don't it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    How **** is your instructor for letting you drive through a red light?
    That. He should have said something, surely?

ReputationRep:
    He said something at the end, a reason about why he couldn't break or something. I forgot what it was tho!

Seems its more common on driving lessons than i thought. I thought i must be the only person on a driving lesson to have ever completely missed a red light at a pedestrian crossing!

ReputationRep:
    i cant think of a good reason why he couldnt brake, unless there was a car behind but even then the car behind should have been prepared to slow down for the red light

dont worry people have done worse, ive missed a red light before (thankfully not in a test :p:)

you were probably just nervous, i apparently didnt once check my mirrors in my mock

then in my first test i almost missed a junction and would have pulled straight out if the examiner hadnt broke (it wasnt a clear junction tho, it was a junction on a bend of the main road...i just missed the give way sign! :p:)

thankfully nothing serious in my second test though :yy: woo

but yeah you gotta be careful as you AND your instructor could have gotten points on your licenses

but at least you hopefully won't make the same mistake twice

ReputationRep:
    He said something at the end, a reason about why he couldn't break or something. I forgot what it was tho!

Seems its more common on driving lessons than i thought. I thought i must be the only person on a driving lesson to have ever completely missed a red light at a pedestrian crossing!
    dont worry, you're certainly not

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't sweat it - they lay off the folks with the L plates anyway. There's plenty to watch, and you even get to do it at speed (which helps, of course) so it's just developing the ability to watch dozens of things at once.

ReputationRep:
    your instructor is an absolute ape for letting you drive through a red light even if your car was the only car in the world. He / she should have used his set of pedals and applied the brakes, its a mistake on his behalf - on a driving test the examiner would have intervened and you would have failed lol, just learn from it and keep your eyes peeled for traffic lights, new speed limits, bus lane times etc. OH another thing make sure you use a bus lane if you are allowed to try to memorise the bus lane times on your driving test route, because not using a bus lane when you are allowed to is an instant fail! Unbelievable

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys I just need to stop worrying about it i guess, and get it out of my head for next week's lesson.

ReputationRep:
    At least you have done it in your mock test so now you will be more on your guard in the exam and checking every traffic light carefully. You will be less likely to do it again

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it puts you off driving though doesn't it big time.

I really dunno why we couldn't put the brakes on. I do know there were a motorbike and some cars behind us. Dunno if that might be the reason.

He has braked loadsa times for my other silly mistakes, so dunno why he couldn't on this occasion!

Would you guys say i should find out why he didn't break? Or just forget about it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it puts you off driving though doesn't it big time.

I really dunno why we couldn't put the brakes on. I do know there were a motorbike and some cars behind us. Dunno if that might be the reason.

He has braked loadsa times for my other silly mistakes, so dunno why he couldn't on this occasion!

Would you guys say i should find out why he didn't break? Or just forget about it?
    My instructor sometimes waits till after to tell me about mistakes I make as I think they have more impact as you are obv very worried as to how you didn't notice at all. He obviously realised you werent going to stop, saw there was no danger and decided to let you make the mistake to show you that you're not quite doing everything right yet.

No biggie really - at least you'll be very aware not to do it again!

ReputationRep:
    Oh oh I just realised you said it was a mock test - that's what examiners do. At the end of the test they take you through everything you did wrong minors and majors so you can try not to do it in the future. Your instructor was probs just mimicking what an examiner does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deutsch_Beth)
    Oh oh I just realised you said it was a mock test - that's what examiners do. At the end of the test they take you through everything you did wrong minors and majors so you can try not to do it in the future. Your instructor was probs just mimicking what an examiner does.
    Hey Beth!

Yeah, it wasn't a proper mock test or out. Just one that my instructor decided we'd do seen as it was a 2 hour lesson.

But yeah what you said about they wait til after, let you make the mistakes and then tell you what you did wrong. I know for a fact mine does that, because when i was setting off today he watched me put it in 3rd (i thought i was putting it in 1st) and stalled, did the same thing again and stalled. Finally got it in 1st and got it moving. But he never told me until after the test! :p:

So yeah you reckon that's what he probs did with the lights? Let me go straight through them because there he'd made sure there was no danger, and then he told me at the end about the mistake i'd made?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah happens all the time. Most crossings don't have cameras attatched. They tend to save them for big junctions. Amazingly accidently running a red light is something I never did when I was learning. I've done it since passing though once. And worryingly it was on a road I go down all the time so it's not like I didn't know the crossing was there. Tbh, I shouldn't really have been driving at all that night I was tired beyond all reason. Long story short, we've all done stupid things like that. So long as you learn from it it carries some benefits.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys. I'll be watching lights like a hawk now!

ReputationRep:
    We all learn from mistakes, next time when you approach a light just check your mirrors and ease off a bit in case they change. Problem solved =)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.