Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Red Light on driving lesson! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan)
    Cheers guys. I'll be watching lights like a hawk now!
    Be sure to watch the road at the same time, too...
    Otherwise more serious accidents could occur...!

It happens. You would've stopped if you saw someone crossing/waiting to cross, right? Red lights on an empty crossing can be missed, particularly when learning, and when they cover half the road at a time. My dad still occasionally does it after 30 years.

ReputationRep:
    I'm ******** it regarding this!

I had a driving lesson this afternoon, had a 35 min mock test. At the end of it, my instructor said that i had completely gone straight through a red light at a pedestrian crossing! :o: No-one was on the crossing luckily enough.

Absolutely gutted. Instructor said people on lessons do miss them cos they are concentrating on driving the car! I've never missed lights before, so dunno what made me miss that one today.

Bet i'll get slaughtered for that now won't i? Hoping there weren't no cameras about!
    Don't worry most of us have done it at some point:shy2: I made the mistake once of looking at lights 100m down the road that were in front of me rather than the ones just in front of me.

ReputationRep:
    Aww dude don't worry. Likeliness is nothing will happen and it's definitely better for you to make mistakes and be forced to think about them now rather than on your test!

It is completely normal to miss these things when you are still very much focussing on driving. If people were at the side of the road waiting to cross you probably would have noticed and stopped!!

Chances are you'll never do this again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milan5baros)
    Don't worry most of us have done it at some point:shy2: I made the mistake once of looking at lights 100m down the road that were in front of me rather than the ones just in front of me.
    That's exactly like what happened on the road i was on! There were some lights further down, and it was them i was looking at, and never noticed the pedestrian crossing lights in front of me. :o:

Just really hope there was no cameras or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Aww dude don't worry. Likeliness is nothing will happen and it's definitely better for you to make mistakes and be forced to think about them now rather than on your test!

It is completely normal to miss these things when you are still very much focussing on driving. If people were at the side of the road waiting to cross you probably would have noticed and stopped!!

Chances are you'll never do this again
    Yeah, i would've noticed if there were people there. But obviously cos there weren't i must've just gone straight through them without noticing. That's obv why instructor let me go through, he checked there was no danger, then at the end told me cos i'm more horrified as to how i didn't notice them!

ReputationRep:
    Even if you was to get caught (unlikely), I would appeal it, instructor should not have let it happen he should have seen you weren't going to stop and alerted you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i would've noticed if there were people there. But obviously cos there weren't i must've just gone straight through them without noticing. That's obv why instructor let me go through, he checked there was no danger, then at the end told me cos i'm more horrified as to how i didn't notice them!
    I've driven straight over a zebra crossing as people were about to cross just because I was wound up that I'd stalled at the roundabout and wasn't concentrating anymore :p:

If he'd have told you on the lesson it might have caused you to make further mistakes.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Mock test; the instructor would have been unlikely to say anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Mock test; the instructor would have been unlikely to say anything at all.
    Even if it means letting me run a red light?

ReputationRep:
    Here is a reason to practise your emergency stop. And maybe how to comfortably control a skid.

Round where I live there is a roundabout just down the road. There are 6 sets of traffic lights leading on and off the roundabout. One set is positioned on a corner and you can't see them unless you are in the left hand lane. I've been caught out many times with these lights. I've only run them once, and even then they were just about to turn red.

My instructor used to leave everything I had done wrong until the end of the lesson. He said that way, I wouldn't be thinking about what I had done wrong whilst driving, which could cause me to lose concentration upon the road.

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** didnt your instructor stop the car?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pork products)
    Why the **** didnt your instructor stop the car?!
    Maybe i had cars up my rear which meant it wouldn't have been safe. I dunno.

ReputationRep:
    I went through a speed camera at 35mph on Wednesday, I wouldn't worry too much :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    I went through a speed camera at 35mph on Wednesday, I wouldn't worry too much :p:
    Was that while learning? Or have you passed? :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Even if it means letting me run a red light?
    The instructor will have checked to see if it was safe. As it was, he left it, just as an examiner would have done.

ReputationRep:
    Dw the day before my test I was out driving with my mum, went straight through a red light and went over one of those crossings your meant to stop at if someone's waiting to cross whilst someone was stood there (1 of my teachers) Whoopsi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllAboutMe)
    Dw the day before my test I was out driving with my mum, went straight through a red light and went over one of those crossings your meant to stop at if someone's waiting to cross whilst someone was stood there (1 of my teachers) Whoopsi
    Woops! Bet you were well embarassed at that, with it being one of your teachers! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Woops! Bet you were well embarassed at that, with it being one of your teachers! :p:
    Ohhh I was! It was a good job I had finished school by then and never have to see her again :p:

ReputationRep:
    Haha! I could just imagine your teacher's face! She probs thought you had it in for her! :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 20, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.