Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much does someone using xbox live affect others using internet? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who is moving into a new hoouse come september with 5 other flatmates and i am wondering, one of them wishes to use his xbox and use xbox live.

How much and to what extent would this affect internet browsing for the other 5 flatmates.

The connection they will get will most probably be a 10mb connection, from my past experience using a 10meg connection with another person surfing the internet/2 people using the internet results in lagging on xbox and really slow for the others.

Has anyone else been in this situation in the past??

would the lad wanting to use his XBL need to pay more than the others to get a better connection to suit all?

ReputationRep:
    is this lad you?

ReputationRep:
    -Normal online gamplay won't noticably affect a 10mb connection however this is affected by.

Whether or not he is hosting a game is an issue however , iirc XBOX live servers are peer to peer so they rely on the hosts connection . Hosting a game basicly means that he creates it for other people to join , this is requires uploading and could have a negative effect on other users on the network.

Most players will be joining games to play however as not that many hosts are needed , I think overall you shouldn't need to worry to much unless your connection has poor upload and he likes to host games

ReputationRep:
    10mb connection?

I'm on a 3 meg connection with 4 laptops, 3 desktops, BT vision, an apple mac and an xbox and my connection is perfect.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    I've got three computers currently on - one downloading quite heavily, one streaming and one being MSN'd to death by my younger sister and I'm also on my xbox. It really doesn't really change anything for the other computers

ReputationRep:
    er, if anything the rest of you using the connection will negatively affect his gaming so much he will just give up, i know i did.

ReputationRep:
    You've got to be afriad of youtube - people don't realise how much bandwidth constant streaming of youtube videos takes... my O2 router reads around 3-6 GB of downloads a day. And no one really downloads anything heavy, the interent connection doesn't have a download limit, does it? If so you're screwed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    It won't affect the browsing much. But the browsing will affect it alot more.
    This. Expect lag spikes and servers to kick you for high ping etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    This. Expect lag spikes and servers to kick you for high ping etc.
    XBL Servers don't kick for high pings, that's PC stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMTech)
    XBL Servers don't kick for high pings, that's PC stuff.
    :p: Well they should. Nothing worse than characters jumping around because of lag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    No but you will get booted from games if you are not communicating with XBL properly.
    Yeah, there not going to give you free xp in cod4 are they?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all your replies, and no its not me haha, i have XBL live myself but im going into halls. This was for a person i know, they are moving into a house with someone with XBL and the person with the xbox was saying that the others wont be affected

ReputationRep:
    My internet sometimes used to be slow, but more often than not it was my laptop affecting the xbox. My boyfriends games lagged especially if I loaded facebook/youtube, and using iplayer or 4od was out of the question really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.