Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i got AAAB and a fail for my higher english, however in the prelim i got a B for english.

Do i have a good chance for an appeal? Or will i have to resit?

ReputationRep:
    By "fail" do you mean a "D" or a "no award"?

Especially if it's the former I'd say you have a decent chance. I suppose it's worth asking about it at your school, what have you got to lose?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go ask, you have a fair chance if you got a B in the prelim.

ReputationRep:
    Try.

Do you have any other coursework of a similar standard to your prelim (B level) ?

ReputationRep:
    No award.

I'm sure I have nabs which went pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    i was talking to a friend earlier and i suggested it'd be better to get as close as possible to the grade you want when appealing but he suggested it's better to be further away as it shows you have truly messed up on the day so that may work in your favour.

sorry to hear about the result, i done poorly in english too.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't want to start a new topic since I'm basically asking the same question but...

If I got an A for both Physics and Chemistry in the prelims and ended up with B's in the exam(and only a mark or two away from an A) do I have a good chance for an appeal or is it unlikely?

ReputationRep:
    Depends how good your prelims were

ReputationRep:
    So do they actually take into account the mark or is it just an A? If it's the latter I might have a chance :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    I didn't want to start a new topic since I'm basically asking the same question but...

If I got an A for both Physics and Chemistry in the prelims and ended up with B's in the exam(and only a mark or two away from an A) do I have a good chance for an appeal or is it unlikely?
    I think it's quite unlikely because there was only one grade of a difference. Unlucky though :hug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    So do they actually take into account the mark or is it just an A? If it's the latter I might have a chance :P
    It usually had to be a good a really, but if your teachers think it's possible you can appeal, go for it. Nothing to lose!

ReputationRep:
    Instead of creating a new thread. I thought I may ask whether my friend shoul re-sit higher english or not. She got a C in the final exam and failed her prelim. I don't think English was a subject she enjoyed much and that she wishes to pursue a career in something science related. So is it best for her to re-sit higher english or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yazoo.C)
    Instead of creating a new thread. I thought I may ask whether my friend shoul re-sit higher english or not. She got a C in the final exam and failed her prelim. I don't think English was a subject she enjoyed much and that she wishes to pursue a career in something science related. So is it best for her to re-sit higher english or not?
    I'm retaking because I got a C.. but that's because I want to do History so...yeah.

Eh if she wants to do science she probably wouldn't need it especially seen as she passed. What did she get for the rest of her results?

She could take it and then when the Unis reply saying shes either received a conditional or unconditional she could drop it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaDilemma)
    I'm retaking because I got a C.. but that's because I want to do History so...yeah.

Eh if she wants to do science she probably wouldn't need it especially seen as she passed. What did she get for the rest of her results?

She could take it and then when the Unis reply saying shes either received a conditional or unconditional she could drop it.
    I think she got AAABC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yazoo.C)
    I think she got AAABC.
    If those are all in Highers then she most certainly wouldn't need it!

ReputationRep:
    hi there does any one know if you can pass a higher english essay by only doing 3 keypoints rather than the usual four...its because i wrote a 4 keypoint essay for my poem in the prelim but as time ran out, i missed one keypoint of my essay for my novel so iwasnt sure if i would pass the novel essay...for the essay of three keypoints,i did to a decent intro n conclusion if that helps
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by adilahmed1)
    hi there does any one know if you can pass a higher english essay by only doing 3 keypoints rather than the usual four...its because i wrote a 4 keypoint essay for my poem in the prelim but as time ran out, i missed one keypoint of my essay for my novel so iwasnt sure if i would pass the novel essay...for the essay of three keypoints,i did to a decent intro n conclusion if that helps
    i suspect the 'keypoint' thing is a technique which you are taught rather than an actual marking point of importance. perhaps if you're school are strict about that stuff then they won't be happy, but i hardly think it's much of an issue for the final....although i wouldn't have thought 3 points makes for a terribly long/detailed essay

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of it having to be 4 points..It's all about the balance, three well developed points will probably be just as good as 4. Less chance of waffling too.

ReputationRep:
    Holy crap, this brings back ****** memories :p:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.