Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What do people usually wear for graduation? I know it has to be smart and i assume it has to be black, but do girls have to wear suits? I don't think i have ever owned suit. I don't really have any suit type things, I have smart black trousers and a couple of black skirts and one black jacket but nothing matches like a suit.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    When I went to my boyfriend's graduation, most of the girls were in a white shirt, black skirt and black heels. They looked smart office in monochrome

ReputationRep:
    My graduation is in November so i might need more than just a shirt to keep me warm. Do you think a smart black jumper would be ok rather than a jacket?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    My graduation is in November so i might need more than just a shirt to keep me warm. Do you think a smart black jumper would be ok rather than a jacket?
    I spose it depends on your university, ask them if they'd approve maybe? But I would go with the jacket if I were you!
    =)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    I should think so but check to be sure. And I assume tights would be okay too

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to wear a suit as such. Just pick a nice black skirt/pair of trousers and you'll be fine - you don't need a jacket. Really, those robes are heavy, so I wouldn't worry too much about being cold. If you really think you'll need something extra then a cardigan will be fine.

Only thing that I'd say is really essential is to pick a LONG white shirt that you can tuck into your knickers/tights to keep it down as the hood is quite heavy and can really make it ride up. Make sure your overall look is quite classic - you don't want to be looking back at your graduation pics in a few years and thinking 'oh, well it was the style at the time...'.

ReputationRep:
    It varies on personal style, I know at Essex they ask you to wear smart clothes and comfortable shoes as there are quite a few steps to walk down.

My friend graduated from Southampton the other day, she wore a black skirt, white blouse and black kitten heels as did most her other friends, some had trousers so it is just down to what you feel comfortable in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.