Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student satisfaction survey results out. Interesting medicine results Watch

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's scaled with Aberdeen set at 100% and everything else is relative to Aberdeen being at 100%?

ReputationRep:
    It's not bs at all; league tables are bs, this is what your peers think which counts for far more than what the times and guardian think! Yes it may not be definitive, but I'd take a fair bit from that survey if I was applying now; certainly far more important than what your teachers/league tables say!

Get cape, just because imperial is seen as 'prestigious' doesn't mean it's students are going to be 100% satisfied

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    It's not bs at all; league tables are bs, this is what your peers think which counts for far more than what the times and guardian think! Yes it may not be definitive, but I'd take a fair bit from that survey if I was applying now; certainly far more important than what your teachers/league tables say!

Get cape, just because imperial is seen as 'prestigious' doesn't mean it's students are going to be 100% satisfied
    League tables factor this in as well, it's just that you don't know the weightings that are given to information like this or everything else, in fact. Plus, it doesn't matter whether anything is bs because if it shows the medical school in a good light, the chances are that the medical school will use it :p: I mean, there's a reason So'ton use The Guardian table instead of The Times

I think this table is useful, but we don't know the % of people who took part in the survey from each medical school. If enough people took part, say 70% or 80%, then I'd be inclined to give more weight to this information than if only 40% of people took part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    100% satisfied? :curious:
    To clarify, 100% means all of the repsondents from Aberdeens med schools declared that they "mostly agree" of "definitiely agree" that "overall, i am satisfied with my course".
    I'm sure some of them have complaints, but in general all the respondents were satisfied.

To the people saying the sample size wasn't big enough, the survey was sent out to everyone on the course, and for a % to be calculated, over 50% of the course has to have replied. That means in Aberdeens case, at least 86 out of 175 students have deemed their course satisfactory, whilst none have deemed it not to be, which is pretty damn impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    So the student satisfaction survey results are out and there's quite a spread in terms of satisfaction levels amongst the medicine courses.
    Can you tell me where you got all the data from OP? I want to take a look at other courses and uni's.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    But its ******* freezing in Aberdeen isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Would be interesting to see what type of questions were on the questionaire!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treben)
    Can you tell me where you got all the data from OP? I want to take a look at other courses and uni's.

Thanks!
    http://www.unistats.com/searchResult...tSortOrder=asc

Not sure if the link will work for you, but unistats.com has all the results on it. It's an arse of a site to navigate but i just searched medicine, then used to sort function to get all the med courses results together.

(Original post by Sarky)
    But its ******* freezing in Aberdeen isn't it?
    Lol, just to clarify if some people don't know, the questions/results only relate to the course, not to the place, nightlife etc.

(Original post by nas7232)
    The questions all revolve around the course, ie. feedback, teaching quality, assignement, communication with lecturers etc. However these results all come directly from the final question which is "Overall, i am satisfied with my course" and the answerers had to reply "definitely disagree", "mostly disagree", "no opinion", "mostly agree" or "definitely agree". For the results to go towards the %s i posted, they must have answered with one of the last two statements.

ReputationRep:
    You can see the questions on the website http://www.unistats.com/searchResult...tSortOrder=asc

Click on the individual school and than on National Student Survey for the breakdown of all questions.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised about Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)

Lol, just to clarify if some people don't know, the questions/results only relate to the course, not to the place, nightlife etc.

It was a tongue in cheek comment :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    It was a tongue in cheek comment :p:
    Lol, i figured it probably was, but i thought i'd better clarify just in case some people weren't aware.

ReputationRep:
    It's often useful to go the source information - in this case:

http://www.hefce.ac.uk/learning/nss/data/2009/

From the tables you can see actaul sample sizes, questions asked and specific responses for every course - really interesting stuff.

Response rates seem generally rather high, I note.

ReputationRep:
    OP, where did you get these statistics, can you please send me the site?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarKnight123)
    OP, where did you get these statistics, can you please send me the site?
    Please look back in the thread people, the link has been posted.

I got it from: http://www.unistats.com/searchResult...tSortOrder=asc

And as someone else mentioned, you can get the original source material here: http://www.hefce.ac.uk/learning/nss/data/2009/

ReputationRep:
    The Scottish universities provide excellent value for money, that would give me satisfaction.

ReputationRep:
    Oh noes, St Andrews is no longer no1. We are still high, high, high...

Why's Cardiff so low?? Anyone from Cardiff here to comment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dd1989)
    The Scottish universities provide excellent value for money, that would give me satisfaction.
    The fact that home students pay nothing means terrific value and quality, for no money!

TBH, the results do not surprise me. I've never heard a peep against Aberdeen from anyone who is there. (Heard a few from the uninformed and unwashed masses)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    based on what i know, my personal ratings -

St Andrews - 50%
    Say what now? :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dd1989)
    Given that many students in Scot med schools are fee paying (from England or Int) this might suggest factors other than this...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.