Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student satisfaction survey results out. Interesting medicine results Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bean87)
    entertainment doesnt coost 3 times as much
    Lol, ever been for a night out in London? When i've been the wallet has taken a pretty big hit.

But yeh, i don't think general day to day life costs are as terrible as people make out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    it would be interestig to know if these satisfaction surveys encompassed these factors or simply focused on academic elements.
    The satisfaction survey is meant to be solely about the course, social life/costs etc shouldn't affect the results. Library facilities and stuff are taken into account though.

ReputationRep:
    since students rarely play an active part in the business of the city (night life aside) thats kinda understandable, although it must make the results a bit soulless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    The satisfaction survey is meant to be solely about the course, social life/costs etc shouldn't affect the results.
    I would suggest that you would struggle to separate student's attitudes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I would suggest that you would struggle to separate student's attitudes.
    I wouldn't disagree with that. Someone who is lonely and having a miserable time probably wouldn't rate their course highly, even if it was excellent. However the questions in the NSS are very specific when it comes to them being about the course, not the university in general.
    Even a person who had no friends and hated their accommodation would struggle to project that onto a question about the quality of feedback from tutors.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...FaneYEy2evXJ5A

ReputationRep:
    ^^^ahh, no - '2-3 times more' is my estimate, sorri to ruin your attempt at misquoting me there, mate. . Seems you are making up your data like fairycakes did here -

£109 says their website.http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/accommoda...e/parsonshouse
    and hey i'm sure they let you stay all of one year till they move you out for other 1st years an you're back in your £120 room at 'ammersmith '

back on topic though, how would you say the imperial course treats you, do you find it as satisfying as you anticipated?
    i've alays been curious about the development of imp's course since its restructuring. i've heard that the introduction of PBL used to upset a lot of imperial medics, and i wonder if thats still the case....?
    actually the figure i quoted is not for first years who apply through imperial. it's if you apply to parsons house directly, but obviously you wouldn't know that if you're not an imperial medic. so i think you need to take back what you said about me making my information up. obviously if you want to check up on this fact, i can give you the e-mail address/phone number of the housing officer and you can verify it.

overall the course has been ok. it's hard to compare with other medical schools because i've never been a student at them, but overall i think imperial graduates make good doctors. i find the course is quite to student feedback but they do nag you to fill in the evaluation forms.

pbl is not imperial's forte, as it really depends on your group and your tutor, but i guess many schools may have that problem. it's hard to standardise people. but it makes up such a small part of the first and second year, and doesn't come up again after that.

it's hard to sum up the whole of my 5 years here in a single post, so obviously anyone who is interested can pm me.

right now, i'm finding the fact that imperial does pathology in 5th year very useful for final year, as you already have a baseline of knowledge when you go on firms after your specialities year. much of the pathology exam is clinical.

someone mentioned library - the main library is 24 hours (i think) throughout the year. and all hospitals have their own libraries.

night life in london can be expensive, but can also be not so bad. you just have to know where to go. and that comes with living here.

i hate the fact imperial takes a beating due to people's ill formed opinions. if they bothered to find out more about it, maybe it wouldn't happen. i know every place has its pros and cons.

(and i'm sorry to everyone else who has had to read all this between myself and gizmo...i just couldn't stand by whilst he slated my school.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairycakes)
    i just couldn't stand by whilst he slated my school.
    Can I slate it please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Can I slate it please?
    hmph.

maybe after i calm down a bit...but only you. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairycakes)
    actually the figure i quoted is not for first years who apply through imperial. it's if you apply to parsons house directly, but obviously you wouldn't know that if you're not an imperial medic. so i think you need to take back what you said about me making my information up. obviously if you want to check up on this fact, i can give you the e-mail address/phone number of the housing officer and you can verify it.
    your point rests on the supposition that parsons house is the exception to the rule in london, so sure, i'm quite happy to admit you are right about just Parsons house, and wrong about all the rest of the imperial/surrounding accomodation....
    i just couldn't stand by whilst he slated my school.)
    ...so you'll still need to get used to it!

pbl is not imperial's forte, as it really depends on your group and your tutor, but i guess many schools may have that problem. it's hard to standardise people. but it makes up such a small part of the first and second year, and doesn't come up again after that.
    yes, i'd eard that imperial students generally dont fancy pbl, i think thats either becos its not a strength of your course, or because your students are the type who favour lectures much more. nevertheless it is the future of your study, so not being able to adapt to it now means you'll be at disadvantage in a few years time.
    it does sound like their are a lot of elements that suit you at the course, and a 24 hour library is a good idea anywhere where you've got a large hospital.

night life in london can be expensive, but can also be not so bad. you just have to know where to go. and that comes with living here.
    i did, and its definitely MUCH more expensive tha newcastle, where i have lived too. thats including me doing speakeasies and free screenings in london most nights.
    clearly the money isnt an issue if you've well supported enough, so count your stars you arent part of the majority of more averagely funded students.

ReputationRep:
    regarding pbl - i think it can be a useful way of learning, but only if it is closely monitored to be useful for the students. obviously practicing medicine in real life as a doctor is like pbl. but i don't think not enjoying it is the same as not being able to do it, which is what i think is the problem at imperial. but like i said, it's such a small part of the course that it's easy to forget about after 2nd year pbl proper, but in later years, case based discussions do come up time and time again, so you will use similar skills as you would be during a pbl session.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I'm pretty sure that is last years data, I don't have the equipment to proce
    it as I'm on an iPhone but I wouldn't have thought this years results would be out yet! I spoke about Manchester http://thelittlemedic.blogspot.com/2...ld-you-so.html and they got 77% then so unless they just scored the same.
    Maybe I'm wrong, I hope I am so it proves me right for another year

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8187227.stm
    "Detailed results for every institution will be published on the unistats.com website next month."

The unistats site still shows last years results,

the 2009 results are on the HEFCE website as Insightful _Mandarin posted 2 days ago
    http://www.hefce.ac.uk/learning/nss/data/2009/

ReputationRep:
    source?

ReputationRep:
    i rest my case on the opinion that the fact it costs much more means much less of an experience for most people.
    Much more to do what exactly?

You can find reasonable prices for most things in London so long as you know where to look (obviously if someone comes to London for the first time as a student, chances are they're gonna end up broke in no time at all)

ReputationRep:
    almost everyfing, from a dubble priced Yorkie bar to a extra £80 rent per week.
    apart from a few sparsely located places, market forces push most of london's pubs, clubs up to prices that commuters, its predominant customers, can afford, to the point where you ave less choice of places to go than a univerally cheaper city.

i'm not denying that £80 rent per week doesnt mean anything to some peeple, owever, so rest easy. most commuters disagree though, thats why theyu commute into london, and most of them are on at least £20,000, not nothing at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moronic Acid)
    Much more to do what exactly?

You can find reasonable prices for most things in London so long as you know where to look (obviously if someone comes to London for the first time as a student, chances are they're gonna end up broke in no time at all)
    e
    heres an experiment. go to euston station one morning, adn try and persuade the thousands of commuters who pour through the station every day to move to central london and live there instead.

i'd be suprised if you get close to double figures.
    you might get laughed at a few hundred times though.

PS my ontopic contribution - Aberdeen rocks! i can see why its so satisfying - strength of the scots courses.

ReputationRep:
    e
    heres an experiment. go to euston station one morning, adn try and persuade the thousands of commuters who pour through the station every day to move to central london and live there instead.

i'd be suprised if you get close to double figures.
    you might get laughed at a few hundred times though.
    I can definitely see myself doing that at some point :p:

And perhaps you could do the reverse? Try to convince commuters in Newcastle to move there permanently (or if you're feeling even more confident - convince commuters leaving Central London from Euston station to move permanently to Newcastle)

Obviously neither of our activities would yield decent results (although arguably for different reasons) but i'm happy to concede that your opinion of London being crap for students has some legitimate founding - despite the fact that relatively small amounts of effort can seriously reduce the impact of said crapness

ReputationRep:
    since i dont live in newcastle, no i wont....
    i study in the midlands, and every morning one can see a VAST amount of commuters leaving town from leeds to milton keynes, to work in london. they travel that far and then backl out of london, for a better quality, more punch for pound way of life.

so i wouldnt ave a problem convincing them to stay where they are, by the fifty thousand fold, cheers.
    you, trying to convince your commutersto live in london, wont get out of single figures.
    theres a phrase about quitting and heads, you might want to use.

ReputationRep:
    since i dont live in newcastle, no i wont....
    Surely the reason you won't is because you have better things to do than ask random people in a train station to move house (or at least I hope so - otherwise i don't think where you live is gonna affect your experience as a student much )

As for everything else you said - you could be right
    All I know is, the people who don't want to live in London are welcome to their opinions, and to live elsewhere - landlord's here aren't exactly short of tenants anyway (and for good reason too)

ReputationRep:
    well, the reason i wont ask peeple in newcastle is still that i dont live in newcastle.

landlords in london get plenty of short termers, theres a steady influx comnig into london. it doesnt take short termers long to work out the commuter game.
    plus there wil always be peeple better off than others.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.