Turn on thread page Beta

Student satisfaction survey results out. Interesting medicine results watch

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like cack. I'd like to see the source? If it's the daily fail I'm guna hit you with a shoe.

ReputationRep:
    what do you fink would be the political advantage in the daily mail publishing this list, macca?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    what do you fink would be the political advantage in the daily mail publishing this list, macca?
    They post a lot of crap without evidence, twist the truth etc. They're more likely to post it from some crappy survey with very unreliable procedings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eta)
    this is all bs
    Couldn't have put it better myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    They post a lot of crap without evidence, twist the truth etc. They're more likely to post it from some crappy survey with very unreliable procedings.
    mm but why would they publish THIS one?

usually they ave a motive. i would say that this list does not suit any motive of the middle class south families that this paper serves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    I know, that shocked me too.
    I'd heard grumblings from students about Manchester, Barts and to a lesser extent Birmingham, but i've never heard a word against Cardiff. Yet over a 3rd of their students deemed the course to be "unsatisfactory".

Would be interesting if a Cardiff student could shed some light on this. I think one of the reasons may be that the clinical placements are spread all over Wales, so a lot of people end up out in the sticks.
    I've spent a year in Cardiff, about to go into second year. Everyone I've spoken to about this 'student satisfaction' business agrees that they love Cardiff and wouldn't change where they are for anything. Yes the placements are scattered about in later years, but I've heard mostly positive comments about that.

One reason why the results may be so poor is that the final years who graduated this year (which I believe is the year making up the student satisfaction results) were part of the merge between the seperate Medical school in Cardiff when it joined to be part of the university. Obviously due to this merge there were teething problems resulting in poor student satisfaction.

The medical school are aware of the poor results from previous years and are trying to change. This year at the AGM there has been a sabbatical healthcare officer appointed to smooth the interactions between the medical school and the rest of the university.

It's not perfect, but I'm loving my time at Cardiff! I would hate to think these results would put people off applying, it's a brilliant course, excellent social side and a great atmosphere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Oh noes, St Andrews is no longer no1. We are still high, high, high...

Why's Cardiff so low?? Anyone from Cardiff here to comment?
    See my comment above

ReputationRep:
    My sister's just finished second year at Cardiff and was quite unhappy during first year due to the number of exams - she was having some form of assessment pretty much every week (whether it was an anatomy viva, essay etc), though says they reduced the number for the next intake which might help explain a poorer student satisfaction score.

ReputationRep:
    I booked a visit day there for the 11th of September to see what I think of it when I am actually there and speaking to people in Cardiff

ReputationRep:
    I think it needs to be said.Aberdeen ftw.

ReputationRep:
    Uuuuh since when have they taken a "student satisfaction survey"? Has anyone here ever, during their time at their medical school, ever actually filled in one of these surverys? Or do they fill it in at the end of the course (in which case, the readings could be 6 years out of date)? What percentage of the med school gets surveyed? So many questions...one of the reasons why it is important to take absolutely no notice of this rubbish in determining what med school to go to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    Uuuuh since when have they taken a "student satisfaction survey"? Has anyone here ever, during their time at their medical school, ever actually filled in one of these surverys? Or do they fill it in at the end of the course (in which case, the readings could be 6 years out of date)? What percentage of the med school gets surveyed? So many questions...one of the reasons why it is important to take absolutely no notice of this rubbish in determining what med school to go to!
    Only final year students fill them out (look at the discussion of Cardiff's result to get an appreciation of the implications of that). The percentage varies but universities and medical schools are under pressure to increase the number of responses (and we've talked about what can happen then). I'm not sure people should take no notice, in my mind, it's the most 'useful' league tables.

ReputationRep:
    A medical school's place on the satisfaction survey can fluctuate year to year based on various factors. For example, at George's, the survey result was slightly lower this year as the cohort taking the survey had been the first cohort to be subjected to a new scheme of assessment (where they had to pass each individual assessment separately rather than the older system where they had to pass overall) and that consequently led to a quarter of the year failing year 4.

It is fair to say that the survey represents a snapshot of the sentiment of the graduating cohort who've been through the entire course but shouldn't be taken as a substitute to an open day and finding out from students across the year groups. The finalists in this case were on an older course which has changed and is now going to be in its third year of operation in October.

ReputationRep:
    Was it the student satisfaction survey that Lancaster got severely reprimanded for because they'd forced all their students to bump up their opinions?

Anyway, I'd be a little suspicious of anywhere that had 100% satisfaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I'm not sure people should take no notice, in my mind, it's the most 'useful' league tables.
    More useful than the one about pass rates for postgraduate exams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    More useful than the one about pass rates for postgraduate exams?
    Okay, that's fair, if you can control for all the factors that influence membership pass rates..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Okay, that's fair, if you can control for all the factors that influence membership pass rates..
    Of course. But a university can't possibly be expected to have control over all of the factors that determine 'satisfaction', either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Of course. But a university can't possibly be expected to have control over all of the factors that determine 'satisfaction', either.
    Seeing as "satisfaction" in this context relates to satisfaction with the course, not just life satisfaction, they should really be able to control it.

Though as Renal mentioned earlier, it's possible that someone socially disaffected may unjustly confer that onto the university.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2009

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.