Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ah so basically got my results through yesterday and they were quite frankly...awful.

ABCCD I was expected to get AAACC so I don't know what went wrong...I thought I had done pretty well Infact most people I have spoke to haven't done that well at all ..apart from a couple that got the whole 5A thing.

ANYWAY!

I would really like to do History and French at Glasgow, but I reckon they won't even give me a conditional now due to those grades

History - B
    French - A
    Bio & English - C
    Maths - D

Should have gotten an A for both History and English I still refuse to believe that my essays were that bad in English to get a C..I was getting 21/23 out of 25 the whole year.

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Disappointing as you feel your grades may were, I don't think it will be that much of a problem provided you write a wholesome personal statement, somebody I knew applied with only CC at Higher level and still got a conditional offer. Chances are, you'll recieve an AB conditional which you can work towards. I didn't even have any A grades when I applied anyway!
    Are there any chances you could perhaps appeal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepperoni)
    Disappointing as you feel your grades may were, I don't think it will be that much of a problem provided you write a wholesome personal statement, somebody I knew applied with only CC at Higher level and still got a conditional offer. Chances are, you'll recieve an AB conditional which you can work towards. I didn't even have any A grades when I applied anyway!
    Are there any chances you could perhaps appeal?
    I could possibly get a B for English & Biology but I doubt it cos they're quite stingey about giving appeals..there was only 1 person that got an appeal for english out of like 20 folk at my school.

See if I was to absoloutley fill my personal statement with loads of extra curriculars would that benefit me? (Cos I do A LOT of sport and music) and I'm thinking of volunteering somewhere to.

Oh I'm also taking 2 ADV Highers (in french and history) next year and resitting english and crash mod studies.

ReputationRep:
    Entry Req is as much about supply and demand as anything else. I reckon they'd make you an offer, but the level of it would depend on how many others they had in your position. It'd probably something in the region of AB- unless they were to get an awful lot of applicants who already had AABB at time of application, then they'd probably make it stiffer. Based on previous years, I think you'll be ok- but applications jumped 25% this year, so its hard to say with any certainty. My advice would be to take five subjects next year, and when you get your condtional you can happily drop 2 or 3. If French/History is what you want to do, then taking more Science subjects isn't really going to help with your application, so stick to things which you can argue would make you a better historian etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    Entry Req is as much about supply and demand as anything else. I reckon they'd make you an offer, but the level of it would depend on how many others they had in your position. It'd probably something in the region of AB- unless they were to get an awful lot of applicants who already had AABB at time of application, then they'd probably make it stiffer. Based on previous years, I think you'll be ok- but applications jumped 25% this year, so its hard to say with any certainty. My advice would be to take five subjects next year, and when you get your condtional you can happily drop 2 or 3. If French/History is what you want to do, then taking more Science subjects isn't really going to help with your application, so stick to things which you can argue would make you a better historian etc.

Well I'm taking Adv french & history and then I'm doing crash mod and I'll probably retake English... would that be enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaDilemma)
    Well I'm taking Adv french & history and then I'm doing crash mod and I'll probably retake English... would that be enough?
    In short, I don't know. Beware with advanced highers though, this is from the university website: The University will take the Advanced Higher into account if the same subject at Higher was achieved at Grade C or below or where a B was attained and a second sitting offer requires a grade A at Higher to be attained. The University normally regards a grade B at Advanced Higher to be equivalent to a Higher at A.

Since technically you don't need As, and you received B or better at the first sitting, it'd be worth checking with admissions if you'd gain any benefit by taking these Adv Highers- they might tell you they wouldn't consider them in your offer, and therefore you'd be restricted to having to get the grades in your other highers. Maybe English + Modern Studies or something? I can't really say, it'd be best to give them a call.

ReputationRep:
    i was in pretty much the same situation last year.I applied for History/Politics with the grades
    History - B
    Chemistry + Biology - B
    English + Maths - C

I got the condition AA at Higher English and Modern Studies or AB at a Higher and Advanced higher History.

The results i got this year were
    B - Crash Mods and English
    B - Advanced Higher History
    C - Advanced Higher Chemistry

so although good results not good enough for Glasgow.

Sorry for the rant, Im just a bit peeved that I've got to go to Strathclyde instead even though i worked my butt off in 6th year

Cutting a long story short i think you will conditional but i would advice doing less Adv Highers and focus on Highers next year. It will give you a better chance of meeting those conditions.

Hannah xx

ReputationRep:
    First off Emma, your grades were not as horrible as you think. A lot of the people on the student-room are probably the best in their classes or schools, a lot get 5 As.

Last year I only recieved two Ds from my exams. I was mortified but I still applied through UCAS (basically for every game design course in Scotland), and I managed to get five offers.

Glasgow can be a bit picky, since they're often considered the best uni in Scotland but I looked up the course I'm assuming you want to do on UCAS (if that doesn't work, search course code VR11). The entry requirements are ABBB.

I think you have a very realistic chance of getting an offer for 2010. Just apply as early as you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollyguee)
    i was in pretty much the same situation last year.I applied for History/Politics with the grades
    History - B
    Chemistry + Biology - B
    English + Maths - C

I got the condition AA at Higher English and Modern Studies or AB at a Higher and Advanced higher History.

The results i got this year were
    B - Crash Mods and English
    B - Advanced Higher History
    C - Advanced Higher Chemistry

so although good results not good enough for Glasgow.

Sorry for the rant, Im just a bit peeved that I've got to go to Strathclyde instead even though i worked my butt off in 6th year

Cutting a long story short i think you will conditional but i would advice doing less Adv Highers and focus on Highers next year. It will give you a better chance of meeting those conditions.

Hannah xx
    Good god those are quite high conditions! From other folk I've heard it being like a 'C in adv english' or whatever. Well at least you got into Strathy it's meant to be really good from what I've heard

I take it it was 5 Highers you took in 5th then yeah?

If I apply to History with French..do you reckon they'd be a little lenient on me because I got the A in French?

Also... would be it worth while volunteering somewhere that was to do with history or french? Like a museum or something? Or does it not really make a difference.. or should I take another language in 6th instead of an adv higher?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just really freaking out now aha

ReputationRep:
    Good god those are quite high conditions! From other folk I've heard it being like a 'C in adv english' or whatever. Well at least you got into Strathy it's meant to be really good from what I've heard

I take it it was 5 Highers you took in 5th then yeah?

If I apply to History with French..do you reckon they'd be a little lenient on me because I got the A in French?

Also... would be it worth while volunteering somewhere that was to do with history or french? Like a museum or something? Or does it not really make a difference.. or should I take another language in 6th instead of an adv higher?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just really freaking out now aha
    That sounds like the typical conditional actually- they usually don't form offers on Cs, so they'd have taken that as BB, and you need AABB if you haven't achieved ABBB in first sitting. Therefore, AA or AB (since they take Adv B in lieu of A) would be demanded- at least according to the prospectus. As I've said, Adv Highers in the courses you already have at B probably wont help, so they'd probably set you a conditional on highers (or Adv if it was a higher you got a C at). I can't say for sure, but I think they'd ask for a conditional of AB at higher, but they'll look at your application on its merits and decide then.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like the typical conditional actually- they usually don't form offers on Cs, so they'd have taken that as BB, and you need AABB if you haven't achieved ABBB in first sitting. Therefore, AA or AB (since they take Adv B in lieu of A) would be demanded- at least according to the prospectus. As I've said, Adv Highers in the courses you already have at B probably wont help, so they'd probably set you a conditional on highers (or Adv if it was a higher you got a C at). I can't say for sure, but I think they'd ask for a conditional of AB at higher, but they'll look at your application on its merits and decide then.

Ah I see :rolleyes:

So is it not worth my time taking ADV french? (I got an A in my higher) The only thing is..what other essay subjects can I take that's going to show that I'm a good candidate for history? If I take crash higher mod and then resit english what else is there I can do? Pick up another language?

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see :rolleyes:

So is it not worth my time taking ADV french? (I got an A in my higher) The only thing is..what other essay subjects can I take that's going to show that I'm a good candidate for history? If I take crash higher mod and then resit english what else is there I can do? Pick up another language?
    I think you have plenty to suggest you'll be a good candidate for history- It's Edinburgh that are usually famed for letting in the student with BBBC because they liked the personal statement while rejecting the AAABB one- Glasgow are a little more consistent, if you get above AABB you will almost certainly get in, and they don't insist you have to take all essay subjects in order to do it. How does crashing Mod while resitting English and Bio sound? Is there any other essay subjects you can do? All schools do Geog, and some do business or psychology or sociology or similar. TBH, I'd be surprised (but this'd depend on applicant numbers) if they wanted more than AB on top of those three, and it sounds like you're capable of an A in English- everything they've said suggests an advanced higher in one of the subjects you got A/B in won't make any difference to the conditional, but it'd be worth phoning them to check.

ReputationRep:
    History and english are very competitive courses. Your grades are pretty good though, I know people who got offers from Glasgow who had no highers in 5th year so yeah its likely you'll get an offer for history at least.

ReputationRep:
    I could possibly get a B for English & Biology but I doubt it cos they're quite stingey about giving appeals..there was only 1 person that got an appeal for english out of like 20 folk at my school.

See if I was to absoloutley fill my personal statement with loads of extra curriculars would that benefit me? (Cos I do A LOT of sport and music) and I'm thinking of volunteering somewhere to.

Oh I'm also taking 2 ADV Highers (in french and history) next year and resitting english and crash mod studies.
    I heard glasgow don't care about that, they just want you to get the grades. I don't see how doing tennis for example would make you the perfect english candidate :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    I heard glasgow don't care about that, they just want you to get the grades. I don't see how doing tennis for example would make you the perfect english candidate :P
    This isn't a million miles from the truth. Glasgow have realised they have a pool of very good candidates, but they're not oversubscribed to the extent where its all about how much Aristotle the 17 year old reads to separate the straight A students (unlike Oxbridge). Edinburgh though seem to have delusions of grandeur where they know they don't have the pick of the straight A students but go OTT on the personal statements anyway. This means theres always the odd very good student getting rejected while the one who doesn't even meet the base BBBB requirements sneaks in, making them incredibly hard to judge.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't a million miles from the truth. Glasgow have realised they have a pool of very good candidates, but they're not oversubscribed to the extent where its all about how much Aristotle the 17 year old reads to separate the straight A students (unlike Oxbridge). Edinburgh though seem to have delusions of grandeur where they know they don't have the pick of the straight A students but go OTT on the personal statements anyway. This means theres always the odd very good student getting rejected while the one who doesn't even meet the base BBBB requirements sneaks in, making them incredibly hard to judge.
    Well what about self taught things? Like skills you've learned outside of School... for example I taught myself how to play guitar and piano on top of already being grade 7 in the violin. I'm also teaching myself Italian just now because they don't offer it at my School.. would they care about that?

ReputationRep:
    Well what about self taught things? Like skills you've learned outside of School... for example I taught myself how to play guitar and piano on top of already being grade 7 in the violin. I'm also teaching myself Italian just now because they don't offer it at my School.. would they care about that?
    I can't really say- I worked on clearing a few years ago and we didn't really look for those things, although that may have just been the nature of clearing (and the arts/socsci faculties are usually always full). If you're teaching yourself Italian, any chance you could self-teach a higher in it? Thats been done before (usually with Music) to help people take an extra higher- and its possible usually to enrol at a college for it. Extra-Curriculars are useful, but usually only at getting the actual offer as far as I know, after that, they'll look for the grades- and I think you'll get an offer anyway, so its more about getting your AB or whatever they ask for.

ReputationRep:
    I can't really say- I worked on clearing a few years ago and we didn't really look for those things, although that may have just been the nature of clearing (and the arts/socsci faculties are usually always full). If you're teaching yourself Italian, any chance you could self-teach a higher in it? Thats been done before (usually with Music) to help people take an extra higher- and its possible usually to enrol at a college for it. Extra-Curriculars are useful, but usually only at getting the actual offer as far as I know, after that, they'll look for the grades- and I think you'll get an offer anyway, so its more about getting your AB or whatever they ask for.
    Ah I see, I'd probably be able to get the higher in music to be honest, perhaps not Italian quite yet!
    Thankyou for all your help (and anyone else who did on this thread) you've put my mind at rest.. I'll just have to work my butt off in 6th to get in ! :o:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.