Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Constant headache over past few days & shunned by doc, help? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Over the past few days my head has been aching, feeling pressure-y, and hurting.. also kind of 'twitchy' (yes it's strange ) i went to the doctor but they basically just told me to take paracetamol and that's it, even though i said this wasn't a normal headache. i don't know what to do? what might it be? should i go back and ask for some sort of scan??

ReputationRep:
    brain tumour?

did the doctor ever mention anything along those lines?

ReputationRep:
    go to a hospital. theyll sort you out there.

ReputationRep:
    You cant just demand a scan im afriad, going to the hospital wouldnt really help they are likely to just give you pain killers. How long have you had the headache? I know it seems odd, but have you thought about getting your eyes tested?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoHands)
    go to a hospital. theyll sort you out there.
    what, to a&e?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom_tom_tom)
    You cant just demand a scan im afriad, going to the hospital wouldnt really help they are likely to just give you pain killers. How long have you had the headache? I know it seems odd, but have you thought about getting your eyes tested?
    I never thought about this...

Yes, if you have the wrong glasses/no glasses, then this can cause bad headaches :yes:

Tip: Don't wear a pair of these: :cool: unless it's really sunny...

ReputationRep:
    How long did you have the headache before going to the GP, and how long have you had the headache since going to the GP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom_tom_tom)
    i did think of that but my eyesights fine? hmm i dont know

ReputationRep:
    Have you recently stopped drinking coffee?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    How long did you have the headache before going to the GP, and how long have you had the headache since going to the GP?
    4/5 days before (i wouldnt describe it as a typical 'headache', its odd. i only went docs today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sokissme18)
    what, to a&e?

well if its been going on for a few days then yes, it could be something a serious as a tumor, but then again it could also be that you need to sleep and take painkillers.

ReputationRep:
    4/5 days before (i wouldnt describe it as a typical 'headache', its odd. i only went docs today
    Did he say to come back in ____ days if it's still there?

ReputationRep:
    You can always go back to the doctors and get a second opinion. Exaggerating helps in these situations too.

I was shunned by doctor over a really painful cough that bought me to tears every time I coughed and the coughing was constant. It carried on for 4 months, and I wish I had gone back for a second opinion.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i did think of that but my eyesights fine? hmm i dont know
    Get it checked. Sometimes you don't notice it. i've had this for over a month now and i've tried alot. The doctor still wont give me a scan. I've currently got more tablets and an appointment next week to see if its improved. If not she wants to see if its 'anything more serious'
    Try 4head cooling stick and the cooling pads. i find they help a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rakata)
    Have you recently stopped drinking coffee?
    That's a point. But it would have to have been a pretty heavy caffeine dependency to still be there 5 days later. I only get them for about 2, 3 days max and I drink a lot of coffee.

ReputationRep:
    Could it be something to do with stress, are you waiting for exam results or something?
    Anyhow, I would say take what the doctor gave you, give it a day or so , because the hospital would just tell you to follow ur doctors advice wouldnt they? At least that way you can say what your doctor gave you couldnt help, then maybe they'll do something.
    Hope you feel better soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Did he say to come back in ____ days if it's still there?
    yeah like 4/5 days.. but i go on holiday this weekend so i'll have to wait at least 9 days aah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-WOW)
    Get it checked. Sometimes you don't notice it. i've had this for over a month now and i've tried alot. The doctor still wont give me a scan. I've currently got more tablets and an appointment next week to see if its improved. If not she wants to see if its 'anything more serious'
    Try 4head cooling stick and the cooling pads. i find they help a bit.
    ah i'll get an eye test to check. you have a constant headache then? it sucks... i feel like doctors don't always take things seriously?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    ah i'll get an eye test to check. you have a constant headache then? it sucks... i feel like doctors don't always take things seriously?
    its awful. I can't sleep. so that makes it worse. i can't remember what its like not to have a headache anymore. all tensiony in my forehead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-WOW)
    its awful. I can't sleep. so that makes it worse. i can't remember what its like not to have a headache anymore. all tensiony in my forehead.
    ah that sounds horrible mine feels a bit tensiony as well, but its not so bad i cant sleep. i really dont think taking paracetamol is gonna make it go away though

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.